Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
theHamburglar

P88 vs. P89 Curve/Experience with it?

So I've been using the P88 for years and I love it but want to test around with some of Bauer's options. I'm gonna be getting myself both a custom 2N Pro and UltraSonic(Shoutout BauerU) and might want to throw a P89 on one of them. I know this curve is super rare and not many used it when it was retail 10 years ago, but I'd love to hear first hand experience of anyone who has used it or is at least familiar with it. 

Visually on MyBauer, it looks like it's a slightly tweaked P88 to make it a little more similar to a P92, but pictures and graphics aren't the most helpful. 

Any experience or comparison to tell me what I might expect?

13 hours ago, theHamburglar said:

So I've been using the P88 for years and I love it but want to test around with some of Bauer's options. I'm gonna be getting myself both a custom 2N Pro and UltraSonic(Shoutout BauerU) and might want to throw a P89 on one of them. I know this curve is super rare and not many used it when it was retail 10 years ago, but I'd love to hear first hand experience of anyone who has used it or is at least familiar with it. 

Visually on MyBauer, it looks like it's a slightly tweaked P88 to make it a little more similar to a P92, but pictures and graphics aren't the most helpful. 

Any experience or comparison to tell me what I might expect?

Retail 10 years ago? Ha, the P89, Mogilny, Darby, Weight, Vanek, etc. curve has been out there for almost 25 years!

As a devout P89 user I would have to say its more of a 'tweaked' PM9 or a stepped on/flattened P92 than a tweaked P88. The P89 is a slight middle of the blade wedge but gives you just enough curve to enhance shooting and still be able to stick handle and use your backhand. I'd also say that the P89 plays closer to 5/5.5 lie than the 6 Lie that the P88 has. The P88 curve also starts deeper in the blade or closer to the heel if that makes sense. For me the P89 gives me more real estate on the blade where I feel comfortable stickhandling or releasing shots from. I've tried the P88 and personally I just don't feel comfortable with that mid curve to get shots off quickly or with the same accuracy I have with the P89. The other big difference for me is the flatness of the overall blade and especially at the toe that the P88 has versus how the toe is more shaved down and the blade profile rockered on the P89. That shaved/rockered toe on the P89 fits my shooting style/release whereas with the P88 I can't get the same leverage or kick when shooting off the toe. 

A lot of this is being a creature of habit, the 'P89' has been my go-to curve for the better part of 20-something years (yes, I'm old). I've tried everything and anything in between from Retail offerings to Pro-stocks and I still end up back with the P89. If you have any questions or want more info please don't hesitate to hit me up!

• Like 1

I have Easton’s version and Bauer’s. Bauer’s is slightly more closed and rounder at the toe, but only very slightly.

It’s an awesome curve. The rocker is underrated. It matches my Kovalev Pro stocks, except he had a lower section shaved off the heel and his blade was about 1.5 inches longer.

I love how it’s just enough curve to help you out but not too much, where it gets cumbersome, like I feel with my Malkin pros or E28.

P89 is legendary - along with P106 going back to the Bauer Linden days. 

P88 is much more closed and a deeper curve by comparison. That plus the lack of rocker on the toe makes it a no go for me. If they “modernized” the P88 to shave the toe and open it up just a smidge it would be super viable from my perspective. 

Easton E36 was close - Bauer P14 and CCM P30 are too extreme in terms of openness/twist on the toe. 

• Thanks 1

I’m curious about the origin of the P89. It looks like Mogilny used it at some point, but he also changed things up more than anyone I’ve ever seen. Ray Bourque’s game used sticks look very close, at least in the blade face. I’ve never seen how deep or what type of curve he used though.

15 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1445

I believe he was the origin. Warrior referred to P89 as the "Drury" for years, and the Rbk equivalent was TD-13

Close...the correct answer was Craig Darby, https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1255 Warrior had the curve as the Weight and Vanek at retail.

Back in the day Bauer had the Pattern at retail as the P89 as well as the Mogilny, Innovative even had the curve at retail too as the Mogilny. Easton also has it as the 'Darby' but I don't think I ever saw it as a retail curve as I've only picked them up as pro stock. I also think Sher-wood had something very close at retail in the 90's but I can't remember who it was under, maybe Wendel Clark.

Bourque was using what looks very close to the P89 before those two were drafted. That’s why I was thinking it might have something to do with him. I can’t find pictures of either T. Drury or C. Darby with blades that look like P89s.

6 hours ago, the_game said:

Close...the correct answer was Craig Darby, https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1255 Warrior had the curve as the Weight and Vanek at retail.

Back in the day Bauer had the Pattern at retail as the P89 as well as the Mogilny, Innovative even had the curve at retail too as the Mogilny. Easton also has it as the 'Darby' but I don't think I ever saw it as a retail curve as I've only picked them up as pro stock. I also think Sher-wood had something very close at retail in the 90's but I can't remember who it was under, maybe Wendel Clark.

If someone is looking for this curve nowadays, is pro stock the only option? Which players use it currently?

I had a few of these back in the day and loved them. Would love to try it again.

18 minutes ago, kornsined said:

If someone is looking for this curve nowadays, is pro stock the only option? Which players use it currently?

I had a few of these back in the day and loved them. Would love to try it again.

The P89 or the P88? P88 and variants of it are quite common these days, P89 seem to be rarer when browsing pro return sticks online. I’m pretty sure Base has the P89 for order as BC17, but only available in left.

If you're a lefty, Base is an option. I have a couple of blades from them and am happy with their performance. Have yet to try one of their shafts.