Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shooter27

Interesting Marsblade Article in the Athletic (subscription required)

https://theathletic.com/2229901/2020/12/02/per-mars-marsblade-hockey-skates/?source=dailyemail

The last time I posted an article from a subscription site I got accused of schilling for the site, so if we can avoid that this time it would be great.  Just an article I found interesting and relevant, particularly the new ice holder they mention.  

And no, I will not cut and paste the article to get around the subscription.  However, I do know Per is on here in the roller forum so maybe he could pop in to provide additional information.

Edited by shooter27

6 hours ago, shooter27 said:

https://theathletic.com/2229901/2020/12/02/per-mars-marsblade-hockey-skates/?source=dailyemail

The last time I posted an article from a subscription site I got accused of schilling for the site, so if we can avoid that this time it would be great.  Just an article I found interesting and relevant, particularly the new ice holder they mention.  

And no, I will not cut and paste the article to get around the subscription.  However, I do know Per is on here in the roller forum so maybe he could pop in to provide additional information.

I'd love to read it but am not interested in a subscription. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sprungdownunder said:

The article mentions that a new steel blade is coming in 2021 are they referring the new steel option for the runners?

A new holder design for ice. I assume something much lighter and more durable. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

11 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

A new holder design for ice. I assume something much lighter and more durable. 

I was hoping for some new steel like a DLC , I like the current holders but not the steel.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:04 PM, Sprungdownunder said:

I was hoping for some new steel like a DLC , I like the current holders but not the steel.

The current steel is made by Tydan. It's VERY good quality. 

4 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The current steel is made by Tydan. It's VERY good quality. 

When I compare them to DLC step steel I can feel the difference in glide.

It would be a nice addition to have the option for DLC runners.

13 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Everyone I know who had it had already sold them and gone back to tuuks and XS

Thats what I have seen as well. The holders are not very durable and are quite heavy. I think for a v1 (beta/alpha) product they were interesting and I am excited to see the evolution of them.

It would be cool to see Flare partner with them. That would be a very compelling design. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PBH said:

Thats what I have seen as well. The holders are not very durable and are quite heavy. I think for a v1 (beta/alpha) product they were interesting and I am excited to see the evolution of them.

It would be cool to see Flare partner with them. That would be a very compelling design. 

There was a mention of different runner options that they where working on but I have not heard of anything regarding the FE holder  & even the post on the ice holders has died off.

There is a NEW ice holder in late development. I have installed a set for a tester. I won't post any more info or a picture for fear of breaking MSH rules on releasing info on things that might not supposed to be public knowledge yet. Sorry. 

I will say, for those interested, it is a much simpler and easier unit to deal with while still retaining the Marsblade motion offered in the original ice holder (with definite refinement). I was quite impressed with the design...and yes they are far lighter than the 1st Gen.

Great product coming from Per and the folks at Marsblade hopefully soon for all...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JBP said:

There is a NEW ice holder in late development. I have installed a set for a tester. I won't post any more info or a picture for fear of breaking MSH rules on releasing info on things that might not supposed to be public knowledge yet. Sorry. 

I will say, for those interested, it is a much simpler and easier unit to deal with while still retaining the Marsblade motion offered in the original ice holder (with definite refinement). I was quite impressed with the design...and yes they are far lighter than the 1st Gen.

Great product coming from Per and the folks at Marsblade hopefully soon for all...

So I gather there will be no interchangeable parts between FE & the new version?

5 hours ago, Sprungdownunder said:

So I gather there will be no interchangeable parts between FE & the new version?

Correct. 

• Like 1