Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
mtn

How do I modify a wood blade?

I know this used to be done quite commonly. I am about to pass on some wood sticks to my dad, and I know that he will complain about the curve. Is there an easy way to straighten a blade out? 

These are Christian 5300s, Sher Wood 5030s, and maybe an old Montreal - can't remember if it is still in my garage or not. 

Straightening out a curve might be tougher than putting more curve or changing the curve, but you would do it with a propane torch or heat gun.  Move the heat quickly on the blade, especially if using a torch, and then mold using the bottom of a strong door.  Be extra careful with the wooden blades that have the fiberglass coating on them.

I used to soak the blade in a bucket of water before heating, wet blades are less prone to crack. 

If you've got a bench vice, you can sandwich the lade between pieces of 2x4 or 1x4 and get it pretty flat

• Like 1