Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Koopa

Can someone give me the lowdown on these old skates?

Hi all, havent been on here in damn near 14 years but im getting back into skating and as I was a regular hockey player in the 90s, that is my favourite era for skates. Ive picked up a good condition set of Bauer Vapor Agility 2 and CCM 540 tacks in NOS condition but i have no idea what level skate these may have been back in the day..

I know vapors were expensive back when I played but really cant find any history on anything other than vapor 8 and 10.

Thanks guys

2 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I don't know the CCM model but I am pretty sure that the Agility was an SMU based off the Vapor 10 line.  I can't tell for sure how "high" up the food chain that model was though.

Thanks for this. Yea i wondered if this may have been the case as it looks similar to a 10. Im guessing its probably entry level

They were both lower level skates. Not the lowest if I recall, but from the lower tier. 

A word of advice, though, I would be careful about starting to buy lots of old gear based on your nostalgia. If you have money to burn and space to store it and you don't care, good on you. However, I have seen and personally experienced this whole "getting back into hockey and wanting to buy lots of old stuff I used to love" thing. You end up burning a lot of money and piling up a lot of junk, and you will most likely eventually just catch up with the tech these days and end up with new gear and have nothing to do with all the stuff you bought. Take it from a guy who bought an ultra carbon when he got back into hockey...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Miller55 said:

They were both lower level skates. Not the lowest if I recall, but from the lower tier. 

A word of advice, though, I would be careful about starting to buy lots of old gear based on your nostalgia. If you have money to burn and space to store it and you don't care, good on you. However, I have seen and personally experienced this whole "getting back into hockey and wanting to buy lots of old stuff I used to love" thing. You end up burning a lot of money and piling up a lot of junk, and you will most likely eventually just catch up with the tech these days and end up with new gear and have nothing to do with all the stuff you bought. Take it from a guy who bought an ultra carbon when he got back into hockey...

Yeah i hear you. I definitley dont have money to burn but the nostalgia does take over sometimes. I won the CCMs for 10 dollars because they were donated to a charity auction! The vapors were 20 dollars so they arent costing much. Also im only gonna use them for rec skating and getting used to ice again.

13 minutes ago, Koopa said:

Yeah i hear you. I definitley dont have money to burn but the nostalgia does take over sometimes. I won the CCMs for 10 dollars because they were donated to a charity auction! The vapors were 20 dollars so they arent costing much. Also im only gonna use them for rec skating and getting used to ice again.

Yeah definitely. Just looking out for ya. It starts slow lol. Enjoy getting back out there, it's great

3 hours ago, Koopa said:

Hi all, havent been on here in damn near 14 years but im getting back into skating and as I was a regular hockey player in the 90s, that is my favourite era for skates. Ive picked up a good condition set of Bauer Vapor Agility 2 and CCM 540 tacks in NOS condition but i have no idea what level skate these may have been back in the day..

I know vapors were expensive back when I played but really cant find any history on anything other than vapor 8 and 10.

Thanks guys

FYI, whenever you get around to getting carbon fiber quarter panel skates made in the last 1 - 6 years, you are going to notice a big drop in skate boot weight, which is nice if you are older and slower.

8 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Yeah definitely. Just looking out for ya. It starts slow lol. Enjoy getting back out there, it's great

But then you get hooked to ModSquad and start to buy gear, and more gear, then gear you think you need but don't, then gear you don't need at all....    lol.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

But then you get hooked to ModSquad and start to buy gear, and more gear, then gear you think you need but don't, then gear you don't need at all....    lol.

And then your wife yells at you to get rid of all the junk and you take it to pias and get $8 Worth of store credit for it all, and you can't even buy 2 rolls of tape for that... And then you have to grapple with the Frightening reality of the fact that all the legendary gear of your youth is worth less than two rolls of hockey tape... And then you cry yourself to sleep because you can't handle the truth....

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Koopa said:

And you recieve sage advice from those who know better on the forum but you smile cos you know your gonna ride that train anyway haha

Win!

Im guessing even a lower tier vapor skate from year 2000 is probably going to be an improvement on my old early 90s skates!

Maybe I can fit some lightspeed runners on em...;)

On another note, I found an old advert on Pernai's for the Vapor 3 skate https://www.hockeyworld.com/Bauer-Vapor-3-Hockey-Skates-02-model-Senior

I cant see a whole lot of differences with the Vapor 2's I got other than it not having that black carbon effect "TPR" sole on the underside of the boot.

Still, not bad for a pair of 20 dollar recreation skates! Almost remind me of my air 90s

I would sell both pairs and get a current manufacture skate that fits and is suited for the level of skating you plan on doing. There is a good chance the boot that fit you in the 1990's won't feel so well now. Even a mid tier current skate will perform better and likely be more comfortable.  You may be able to get some decent money for the CCM's if they are new condition. There always seems to be a market for nostalgia. 

• Like 1