Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
CaptainCharisma

XCBlade runners

4 hours ago, Malarowski said:

Same logic/sizing as for Flare?

No it is not same logic and sizing as flare. The hallow adjustment is not done for the same reason. You should take a slightly shallower hollow because the blade is curves so provides inclreased stability meaning, no need for the same hallow you usually use, but if you did get the same then you will have the same hallow unlike with flare because their blades flare out so a hollow adjustment is necessary. 
if you skate on 3/4 then I say you should use 1”. They come with 3/4 hollow on already if you get the dlc version. Try that and see how you like it. I tried 1” once and the blade just slipped because it had no bite. Just try 3/4 to start, that’s what I’m using and it seems the perfect balance. 

Edited by Wrxnch-

7 hours ago, Wrxnch- said:

No it is not same logic and sizing as flare. The hallow adjustment is not done for the same reason. You should take a slightly shallower hollow because the blade is curves so provides inclreased stability meaning, no need for the same hallow you usually use, but if you did get the same then you will have the same hallow unlike with flare because their blades flare out so a hollow adjustment is necessary. 
if you skate on 3/4 then I say you should use 1”. They come with 3/4 hollow on already if you get the dlc version. Try that and see how you like it. I tried 1” once and the blade just slipped because it had no bite. Just try 3/4 to start, that’s what I’m using and it seems the perfect balance. 

YMMV.

For example, I don't even us 3/4"on standard 3mm steel, I use a 1" or shallower. The XC Blade is 3.4mm in the middle, so you definitely want to adjust the hollow. When I tested it on 3/4" I almost killed myself catching edges on skating transitions. 

6 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

YMMV.

For example, I don't even us 3/4"on standard 3mm steel, I use a 1" or shallower. The XC Blade is 3.4mm in the middle, so you definitely want to adjust the hollow. When I tested it on 3/4" I almost killed myself catching edges on skating transitions. 

Yes as I said you need to adjust, however for you that is very uncommon as most are using hollow around 1/2. 1” is very very shallow and most can not handle that on normal blades. I used 1/2 hollow prior to XC blade and now I use 3/4. The adjustment for flare is very different and you need crazy adjustments due to the angle of flare. XC wouod just be a slight adjustment such as going from 1/2 to 3/4 or from 3/4 to 1” etc.

Got 1, 1-1/8, 1-1/4 wheels coming and will report back.

Seems that if 1/2 > 3/4 worked, maybe there is something with the 50% increase. So for 3/4" maybe the 1-1/8 also makes sense, but I'll try out a few and see what feels back. I am pretty terrified of the stock hollow though, but it's getting tested before the game tomorrow. I expect a quick "Nope' and back to room to swap back, but maybe it'll work out.

On 3/15/2023 at 10:38 AM, Wrxnch- said:

Yes as I said you need to adjust, however for you that is very uncommon as most are using hollow around 1/2. 1” is very very shallow and most can not handle that on normal blades. I used 1/2 hollow prior to XC blade and now I use 3/4. The adjustment for flare is very different and you need crazy adjustments due to the angle of flare. XC wouod just be a slight adjustment such as going from 1/2 to 3/4 or from 3/4 to 1” etc.

I would say most players age 14+ are skating on 5/8” or flatter in North America. Those players also prefer profiles that are shorter. 

In Europe, it's pretty standard to skate on a much flatter hollow and longer profile. 

Tydan sells pro stock steel, you can see the different profiles, and it's always the European players that have a much longer profile and flatter hollow. Example, Nils Hoglander and Elias Pettersson skate on a 13/26 profile and likely a very shallow hollow. Willian Nylander skates in a 15' profile and likely a very shallow hollow.

https://tydanblades.com/collections/pro-stock-blades

Edited by VegasHockey
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 9:13 PM, VegasHockey said:

I would say most players age 14+ are skating on 5/8” or flatter in North America. Those players also prefer profiles that are shorter. 

In Europe, it's pretty standard to skate on a much flatter hollow and longer profile. 

Tydan sells pro stock steel, you can see the different profiles, and it's always the European players that have a much longer profile and flatter hollow. Example, Nils Hoglander and Elias Pettersson skate on a 13/26 profile and likely a very shallow hollow. Willian Nylander skates in a 15' profile and likely a very shallow hollow.

https://tydanblades.com/collections/pro-stock-blades

Not sure you have all the stats to back up you 14+ age group statement.  It's not uncommon that more skilled skaters may use a more shallow hollow in general, but your generalized statement that covers a huge age range and continent....

And you're assuming nylander hoglander petterson use a shallow hollow. 

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Not sure you have all the stats to back up you 14+ age group statement.  It's not uncommon that more skilled skaters may use a more shallow hollow in general, but your generalized statement that covers a huge age range and continent....

And you're assuming nylander hoglander petterson use a shallow hollow. 

If you look around, you can find plenty of threads on this, but I actually got the majority of data from the team equipment managers, so I know it's factual and not conceptual. ProSharp and SSM also have a lot of this data as well. 

http://www.sports2k.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45286-william-nylander-skate-profile/

It also is helpful that I have owned multiple stores, so I have a lot of historical data as well. I try to log every individual player profile and hollow in our point of sale. When possible, I will also include level of play if they are notable, example being USHL, ACHA or NCAA, USPHL, Prep, etc. 

On 3/30/2023 at 11:17 PM, VegasHockey said:

If you look around, you can find plenty of threads on this, but I actually got the majority of data from the team equipment managers, so I know it's factual and not conceptual. ProSharp and SSM also have a lot of this data as well. 

http://www.sports2k.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45286-william-nylander-skate-profile/

It also is helpful that I have owned multiple stores, so I have a lot of historical data as well. I try to log every individual player profile and hollow in our point of sale. When possible, I will also include level of play if they are notable, example being USHL, ACHA or NCAA, USPHL, Prep, etc. 

I've been on Flare for years, what's the best guess on hollow comparison? If I'm a 1 1/2" on Flare, maybe around 1 1/4" on QCBlades?

19 hours ago, dnoboy said:

I've been on Flare for years, what's the best guess on hollow comparison? If I'm a 1 1/2" on Flare, maybe around 1 1/4" on QCBlades?

I would try 1" ROH first. 

• Like 1

So I finally found the courage and put a 1 1/8" on the XC runners after normally skating on a 3/4" FBV and the transition was pretty much seamless. I just went on the ice and it felt completely normal, but I noticed some extra bite during tight turns (although that could be placebo). In general though, much less weird to skate on than I thought it might be.

• Like 1

Did anybody notice increased leg fatigue using these? I am trying to test them on different days, but somehow I am always extremely tired after a game with the XC blades, while skating on my regular STEP runners feels completely normal otherwise. I don't know if that little of a weight difference can have that much impact (I didn't weigh them, but assume it isn't like 300g difference).

8 minutes ago, Malarowski said:

Did anybody notice increased leg fatigue using these? I am trying to test them on different days, but somehow I am always extremely tired after a game with the XC blades, while skating on my regular STEP runners feels completely normal otherwise. I don't know if that little of a weight difference can have that much impact (I didn't weigh them, but assume it isn't like 300g difference).

I've been using them for months and i don't personally notice much difference with leg fatigue. If anything it takes less effort to get speed due to the shallower hollow and the curve helping gain speed more quickly. Maybe your putting more effort into games while using the xc blades? Do you notice your skating better/playing better overall using xc blades or is it the same ? 

31 minutes ago, Wrxnch- said:

I've been using them for months and i don't personally notice much difference with leg fatigue. If anything it takes less effort to get speed due to the shallower hollow and the curve helping gain speed more quickly. Maybe your putting more effort into games while using the xc blades? Do you notice your skating better/playing better overall using xc blades or is it the same ? 

About the same I'd say and my stats (HR and calories) generally come out to about the same as well, my legs are just super tired. Maybe it's just coincidence with how I eat that day or something. I'll try again tonight, just wanted to check if anybody else noticed. Could very well be that I skate more technically sound rather than straight lines due to more edge confidence.

26 minutes ago, Malarowski said:

About the same I'd say and my stats (HR and calories) generally come out to about the same as well, my legs are just super tired. Maybe it's just coincidence with how I eat that day or something. I'll try again tonight, just wanted to check if anybody else noticed. Could very well be that I skate more technically sound rather than straight lines due to more edge confidence.

Iperhaos it's a coincidence yes but I don't personally use any other blades than xc so i can not really compare much myself. I don't really get leg pain at all when I'm playing games so i can't really say much about that. I previously used standard blades with no profile or anything and then using xc blades i felt i was using less energy, although I find that i instantly was able to skate a lot better being more agile etc so perhaps that can exert more energy but i can not remember noticing a large difference in tiredness.

2 hours ago, Malarowski said:

If you weigh new STEP steel (out of the box) and new XC Blade (out of the box) I think the XC Blade weighs about 11 grams heavier. 

I have been testing the XC Blade MC and LC variations. So far, I don't see any significant benefits or negatives. I tried 3/4", 7/8", and 1" ROH. The best overall was the 3/4" ROH which gave good bite and a decent amount of glide. 1" ROH on the XC Blade, I felt like I was losing too much power on starts and stops. 

However, I have moved back to using my Flare. I feel the attack angle and glide is better with my Flare compared to the XC. I also have my Flare profiled with an SSM Natural Curve profile, which I like much more than the Quad 0 that comes on the XC Blade. 

• Like 1