Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Cavs019

Best steel goal/home shooting setups

Moving to the burbs in a few weeks and will finally be able to get myself a proper outdoor shooting setup in the driveway. Curious if you guys have any suggestions for nets/backstops to consider.

It will be stored in the garage when not in use and mostly shot at using green biscuit snipes or regular ice pucks off a shooting pad. I’ve seen mixed reviews on the EZGoal so I’m looking for something a bit more durable/weatherproof in the event I do leave it out during the New England winters. Not interested in a tarp or hanging carpet setup. Thanks!!

I’ve had the EZ Goal since, 2005’ish maybe 2006. Still going strong, it’s survived every Boston winter since. Never stored it inside, its been in a driveway since I got it. Honestly never folded it up so I can’t speak on that. Only ‘maintenance’ I’ve done is new netting a few times. Well worth the investment if you ask me.

Also congrats on the house! Can only imagine the hoops you had to jump through to find a house in the Boston Metro market, real estate is bananaland right now around here.

• Thanks 1

I just got the EZ Goal, my brother has it as well.  He has a bomb of a shot and his is holding up.  My shot is average but I was disappointed that the posts did dent a bit when I hit them.  Overall i think it will be fine.

The Arizona Sports Equipment ones are really nice but couldn’t justify it.

I got an EZGoal last summer. Left it outside uncovered in Boston over the winter, and it’s fine. I fully intended to put a tarp over it over the winter. But, life. My one dog occasionally uses the back of it like a hammock, and it’s stood up to that as well  

If you get one, leave the netting around the top and sides a little loose. Having play allows it to absorb energy so the netting doesn’t rip and doesn’t bounce your pucks far away. (Or just hit the net, but that doesn’t work for me…..)

U0K3CzB.jpg

Edited by start_today
  • Like 2

Yep, another vote for EZ Goal.

I have only bought the EZ Goal for my outdoor rink. I leave them outside year round in Minnesota. The first one I had lasted for five seasons, I think. It was pretty dented up and rusted out by the time I took it apart and put it in the trash. I did replace the netting once on that one.

Now I have two more. They are in their second year of use. Although a bit dented, they are still holding up.

The only downside is that they are light. So when when they are on the ice, they will slide around after getting hit by pucks. Shoot 20-30 pucks on the ice and you'll move it back by 2-3 feet. Wind will move them too pretty easily - especially when you have a shooting tarp on it. I had thought about getting some net anchors, but I don't care that much I guess.

For $100 or so, I figure I can replace them every 2-3 years without remorse. They are cheaper than a new stick or skates and I know I buy more than one stick/skates in a season. With two kids, it seems like a reasonable investment.

• Like 1