Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Phil8

Vapor 3x or vapor 2.9 skates

They are equivalent skates, with the 3x being the newest version.  Given the 2.9 is an older model, you should be able to get them for less than the 3x.  Unless there is a new feature you love or the fit is better and different with the 3x, I'd push to get the 2.9 at a discount.

buddy of mine bought the 2.9's a few months back for about $275 ( were $359 new ) if it helps.  Looks like the new 3X is priced higher ( $419 usd ) than the 2.9's when they were new.  No idea if the 3X is a "better" skate to justify the higher price.

Edited by noupf

3X has a new composite quarter package called Flex Comp, making for a lighter skate.  It has also has the low profile asymmetrical toecap that is found on the 2 higher level vapors along with taller steel.  

X2.9 has a nylon Techmesh quarter package and comes with LS1 steel which is shorter than LS+.

My impression of the 3X is that it's lighter, molds better, but where the tongue comes off the lower profile toecap a fair number of customers have initially felt a lot of pressure on the top of the forefoot.  The footbed that come with it provides no support as it's basically foam.