Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
crispy92

Shin guard depth/volume

I finally replaced my old street hockey shin guards(koho 3330) that I’ve had for almost 20yrs with a set of ccm 9080’s. The kohos are essentially thick plastic with a foam and fabric liner so the shin guard would pretty much lie directly on my leg. 

the 9080’s on the other hand feel like they are floating over my shin if that makes sense. Now it doesn’t affect my movement and when I play it doesn’t bother me too much but it’s noticeable and my socks are pretty much stretched to the max and it looks pretty strange. Is this just how modern shins fit and I’m overthinking it or do I have Ill fitting shins. 

for reference I have decent sized calves but nothing extreme or out of the ordinary.

edit: I did test them at the store alongside the ft4  shins and they both felt fine in store but I also didn’t know what I was really looking for in terms of fit.

Edited by crispy92

8 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Is this just how modern shins fit and I’m overthinking it... 

Pretty much, by having the outer shell "float" it disperses impacts...

7 hours ago, start_today said:

Are the 9080s the same length as your Kohos, and are the socks adult sized socks? 

Yup all same. I’ll try and get pics

Yeah the whole point is to have the gap for shock absorption. That’s where most of the protection is from. I have larger calf’s and can’t stand a lot of modern shin pads because of it. I have no liner 7k pro and they are as good as I’m going to get I think. Everything else makes my legs look too big.