Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Gbhsk8

Tacks vs ribcore

Ive skated in ccm tacks for almost 6 years (i have a medium volume foot and instep) i need the stiff boot for ankle stability. I got a cheap pair of ribcore 88k to try out for a bit more toebox room, which is a low volume skate, and with 1 bake treatment, i had to crank down on the laces to get any ankle support. I stepped onto the ice this past tuesday and couldnt skate! I had floppy ankle support, and i felt like i was slushing thru sand i almost fell down. So there obviously is a performance difference between the two models. I can fly and stop on a dime with my tacks 9060s, but the ribcores were horrible! Mind you i play defence.

Edited by Gbhsk8

If you need an ultra stiff boot for support the issue isn't the skate...sorry.

I doubt there is all that big of a difference performance wise. What you likely experienced was the difference in overall fit between the two. I also question whether or not the 88k were properly sharpened.

• Like 1

Sounds like possibly a fit issue or just not the right line for you... CCM did alter their sizing by about a half size sometime in the past 5 years (there's a thread in here somewhere discussing it) so if the 88k's are the same size as the old Tacks there's the possibility they're really not the same size and actually a half size bigger.  You've also gone from a Tacks boot that is known for stiffness, to a Ribcor which has the selling point of a more flexible boot ("flex frame" or whatever they call it, plus it also has a lot thicker more moldable foam around the ankle). 

Like stick9 said, maybe the sharpening needs work?  Also make sure they're the same profile as the old Tacks, those variables could play a part in the skates feeling better for you.

Is the need for stiff skates for ankle stability due to some lingering injury, body issue, or health concern, or are the stiff skates helping with a lack of ankle strength and control?

I don’t say that to call you out or something, just clarifying. If you’re covering up mechanical issues with stiff skates, you’re  gonna be better off getting something softer and doing some power skating classes to develop that muscle control. 

But, if the stiff skates are because you’ve had  had a bunch of ankle surgeries or long term foot and leg issues, people might be able to give advice for supports and fixes that have worked for them  

What did the profile of the old steel look like vs the new one? If it’s a radically different profile, new skates are going to feel clumsy and wrong. 

I appreciate the feedback. I prefer the tacks stiffness not for any medical reasons it was what i was first introduced to and grown accustomed to. Reason i tried a ribcore was the bit wider forefoot and toebox room, to avoid the tacks toebox from painfully rubbing my right foots big toe against the side. My experiment didnt work and thats ok. Then my local shop showed me a pair of tacks vector plus(2022) sz 8, the rounder toebox didnt put pressure on my big toes callus. My 9060s still hold up till i choose an upgrade. And the whole low, meduim foot sizing thing was a factor too. 

Edited by Gbhsk8

I don't think the issue is related to stiffness.  The 88K is actually stiffer than 9060 Tacks.  88K has more padding, so perhaps it may be giving the illusion of being less stiff.