Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Trying Machs.

Been working at my LHS this summer, and one of the benefits is a 50% off from Bauer for completion of training. I've been trying EVERYTHING cuz I don't want to be that guy who just quotes the specs and marketing.  I tried on a pair of Machs and they felt as good as my AS3 PROs...maybe even better,  so...they showed up on Friday. Having upsized XS holders put on so I can just go with the Blacksteel I already have on my 100k's and AS3Pros (I'm a 7.5 but I like 271's).   Anyway, the heel-lock is fantastic and they are completely comfortable everywhere without baking.  My haven't-skated-in-them-yet impression...the upper boot flex of a Ribcor with the lower boot stiffness of a SuperTacks. If that's true, it makes for my perfect skate! Should be skating practice with them on Wednesday...I'll let you know🤞🥅🇨🇦🏒😎.  

Have not skated in Bauer since I sold my second pair of 2XPROs.  I liked them, but the CCM skates fit soooo much better. These Machs may have changed it for me. 

Edited by Jbear

For 50% off just get the pulse ti steel.... Nvm you wanted oversized holders too 

Edited by Sniper9

I did get the Pulse Ti with them...you have to pick runners. You don't have the option to choose holders unless you go custom, which is not 50% off.  Anyway,  I've got six pairs of CCM XS 271 Blacksteel...it's just easier to stay with that holder.  I also prefer XS to Edge...fingers hate that trigger 🤣.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 555 said:

how easy is it to put the XS holders on?

Very.  Just remove the rivets...the new holders line up just fine...put new rivets in.  If you have a shop that does repairs, it's likely they do this. If you were changing sizes drastically, you would probably have to drill but from 263 up to 271...nope...at least with Bauer and CCM. 

Trying to picture how the holes between a 263 LS Edge and a 271 SB XS lined up without having to drill any new holes.  272 Edge and 271 XS share the same rivet hole pattern.  What Fit are your Machs?

7.5 F2.  I've done this before with my AS3 Pros.  If drilling is required it's no big deal for me. I'll let you know tomorrow when I actually do these.

They for sure have slightly different hole patterns from 263 to 271/272. Like you said though any competent shop can do it no problem. Personally I just hate the thought of having so many holes in a brand new boot. 

Edited by Sniper9

I hear you, but I just want the best possible combo for my skating mechanics.  I really don't care if it shortens the life of the skate.  When I was a kid, I had to make do and make it last.  I don't have to do that anymore. I certainly get that folks would not want to compromise longevity or void the warranty. 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

They for sure have slightly different hole patterns from 263 to 271/272. Like you said though any competent shop can do it no problem. Personally I just hate the thought of having so many holes in a brand new boot. 

I personally prefer to seal the old holes and then drill out the new holes. Too many stores try to use whatever lines up and the holders end up twisted. If you do it properly, it not that big of a deal. 

• Like 1

Well...I really enjoyed skating in them on Wednesday night.  Felt great on my feet.  I did have to snug them up a bit more than my others (AS3 Pro and 100k), as they were a little looser without the waxed laces I usually use. I will make that swap. I did notice that they rode lower in the heel than the others (profile is Quad 0 @ 3/4") and that took a hot minute to adjust to. Had no issues skating drills or scrimmage, but my hip flexors were sore the next day from the mechanical difference. 

Anyway, not wearing them for my game tonight, as I want to investigate the pitch difference a little more in a situation that doesn't count.  The only thing I noticed  that I may want to address  is the tongue, which flexes nicely but seems a bit thin.  I'm not rushing to any judgment based on one practice though. It might be fine.

First impression was quite positive overall!  

35 minutes ago, Jbear said:

Well...I really enjoyed skating in them on Wednesday night.  Felt great on my feet.  I did have to snug them up a bit more than my others (AS3 Pro and 100k), as they were a little looser without the waxed laces I usually use. I will make that swap. I did notice that they rode lower in the heel than the others (profile is Quad 0 @ 3/4") and that took a hot minute to adjust to. Had no issues skating drills or scrimmage, but my hip flexors were sore the next day from the mechanical difference. 

Anyway, not wearing them for my game tonight, as I want to investigate the pitch difference a little more in a situation that doesn't count.  The only thing I noticed  that I may want to address  is the tongue, which flexes nicely but seems a bit thin.  I'm not rushing to any judgment based on one practice though. It might be fine.

First impression was quite positive overall!  

It's always a bit weird not only going to another completely different skate but a brand new skate that hasn't broken in. Even if you wore a brand new version of your old ccms it would still take some getting used to as the foams and tongue aren't as formed and broken in as your current skates. 

I here you but to be completely candid...I'm usually comfortable and good to go within 10 minutes of putting on a well-fitting skate.  Sometimes I skate practice with a different model/ brand skate on each foot.  It keeps me tuned in.   Originally I tried it just to see what it would feel like,  but...I kinda got into it 🤣.

3 hours ago, Jbear said:

I here you but to be completely candid...I'm usually comfortable and good to go within 10 minutes of putting on a well-fitting skate.  Sometimes I skate practice with a different model/ brand skate on each foot.  It keeps me tuned in.   Originally I tried it just to see what it would feel like,  but...I kinda got into it 🤣.

good fitting and it being comfortable is one thing, but like you experienced, the mach boot is pitched a bit diff than the ccms u had and even the hyperlites. Supreme line is known to put you more on your heels.  

Really? Everything I've read says Mach is lightest. I just checked Pure Hockey's website they have the senior Mach's at 59g lighter. Not that it's a big deal.

11 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Really? Everything I've read says Mach is lightest. I just checked Pure Hockey's website they have the senior Mach's at 59g lighter. Not that it's a big deal.

I haven't gotten around to weighing the Hyperlite 2 skate, but last year when the Mach released I weighed the Mach and Hyperlite, both size 8 Fit 2 without steel and both weighed the same.

• Like 1

Don't know about the H2 but I believe the Mach is lighter than the H1.  I'll have to check that.

Honestly, aside from bragging rights and general interest, if the weight difference among any of these intermediate to pro level skates is an issue...better hit the gym🤣.  I forget to take my skate-weights off sometimes after practice and I don't even notice...they're about 1.5 pounds each. 

Edited by Jbear

3 hours ago, mojo122 said:

I haven't gotten around to weighing the Hyperlite 2 skate, but last year when the Mach released I weighed the Mach and Hyperlite, both size 8 Fit 2 without steel and both weighed the same.

When I weighed the Mach and Hyperlite in the same size, there was about a 7 grams difference, with the Hyperlite weighing less. This was a size 7.0 Fit2. Maybe the larger the size, the less the difference in weight. Not sure. 

3 hours ago, Jbear said:

Don't know about the H2 but I believe the Mach is lighter than the H1.  I'll have to check that.

Honestly, aside from bragging rights and general interest, if the weight difference among any of these intermediate to pro level skates is an issue...better hit the gym🤣.  I forget to take my skate-weights off sometimes after practice and I don't even notice...they're about 1.5 pounds each. 

Agreed. Unless we are talking about 200+ grams, I don't think it really matters.