Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
smiley37

Hockey Workouts for Skill Improvement

I am a youth hockey player. I started working out about a week ago so I can get better for the fall since I am not doing summer hockey. I have a baseball net and a old whiteboard to shoot pucks, will probably upgrade later since the setup works. 

I have a schedule to workout and have been somewhat consistent with it but its hard because my days are not all the same. Monday (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps), Tuesday (Legs, Calfs), Wednesday (Rest), Thursday (Cardio), Friday (Back, Biceps, Forearms), Saturday (Rest day but usually hikes), Sunday (Cardio). 

Do you know any good hockey specific workouts or stickhandling drills I could do with minimal equipment? I really only have a workout bench, dumbbells, and cardio equipment, plus the shooting stuff mentioned above. I really want to get better I have been playing in a rec league for two years now (previously a figure skater 3 years but stopped before finding hockey) and have seen improvement because of good coaches but need to start taking initiative to get better myself. Thanks for any knowledge on the topic!

Strength training is all well and good, but throw in a decent amount of plyo and explosive movements as well. I think I'd focus 66-75% of workouts to lower body/back, but that's just me. And ALWAYS make the time to properly warm up and stretch, stretch, stretch. Make sure your diet can handle the increased workload and muscle mass too.

This YouTube page has some great routines to help an aspiring hockey player. Good luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/@pierreseliteperformance

22 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Strength training is all well and good, but throw in a decent amount of plyo and explosive movements as well. I think I'd focus 66-75% of workouts to lower body/back, but that's just me. And ALWAYS make the time to properly warm up and stretch, stretch, stretch. Make sure your diet can handle the increased workload and muscle mass too.

This YouTube page has some great routines to help an aspiring hockey player. Good luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/@pierreseliteperformance

I will check out the youtube page for sure.

I was thnking of taking out the chest/shoulders/tricep days since that is not that important for hockey and will probably put a plyo/explosive movement work to replace it. Does it have to be hockey specific or does anything work well?

15 hours ago, smiley37 said:

I will check out the youtube page for sure.

I was thnking of taking out the chest/shoulders/tricep days since that is not that important for hockey and will probably put a plyo/explosive movement work to replace it. Does it have to be hockey specific or does anything work well?

1- what age are you?  what is your training history?

2- don't take out the push day, but get away from that bodybuilding type split.  Train movement, not muscles (to a certain extent).  You should be able to set up your lifting days essentially hitting upper and lower movements in all planes.  Push/pull horizontal, push/pull vertical, trap bar or db deadlifts, unilateral squat variation (rear elevated split squat, lunge, etc.).  Sled drags would be great.

No need to overthink things.  Plyos can be box jumps, lateral work, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

1- what age are you?  what is your training history?

2- don't take out the push day, but get away from that bodybuilding type split.  Train movement, not muscles (to a certain extent).  You should be able to set up your lifting days essentially hitting upper and lower movements in all planes.  Push/pull horizontal, push/pull vertical, trap bar or db deadlifts, unilateral squat variation (rear elevated split squat, lunge, etc.).  Sled drags would be great.

No need to overthink things.  Plyos can be box jumps, lateral work, etc.

I am a young teenager that when I was younger would workout on the elliptical or treadmill or take walks with family.

Looked up "hockey workout schedule" and found this, has the idea of what you are talking about and might do that instead of the old schedule. https://www.relentlesshockey.com/post/creating-the-perfect-workout-for-hockey-players 

The website seems to have good things and will look around into it but I want to build a schedule that is easy to follow 

7 minutes ago, smiley37 said:

I am a young teenager that when I was younger would workout on the elliptical or treadmill or take walks with family.

Looked up "hockey workout schedule" and found this, has the idea of what you are talking about and might do that instead of the old schedule. https://www.relentlesshockey.com/post/creating-the-perfect-workout-for-hockey-players 

The website seems to have good things and will look around into it but I want to build a schedule that is easy to follow 

100%, lots of good examples on that page.  Just keep it simple.  There are people who will start throwing everything and the kitchen sink at you.  Like when someone says they are a new driver and need something for a daily 5 mile commute, people recommend a BMW.  Be aware that many people on YT and the internet are trying to sell their brand and claim to have some new secret or twist, but if you listen to high-level strength and conditioning coaches, their programs are still rooted in principles that have been around a long time.  There have been some legit points where people changed how they thought about certain things, but again, keep it simple.

I just quit my gym because the monthly fee went way up, and with dumbbells, an adjustable bench, a bunch of bands, a box, and a sled I can do pretty much anything I need for now.

53 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

I just quit my gym because the monthly fee went way up, and with dumbbells, an adjustable bench, a bunch of bands, a box, and a sled I can do pretty much anything I need for now.

I just made a new schedule with everyone's tips and using the things above except a box and sled which I don't have. 

You don't have to have a sled, although it is one of the most versatile pieces of equipment there is.  But if you want, people drag tires or make their own out of wood.  there are some cheap ones on Amazon, but I am not sure how they hold up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

You don't have to have a sled, although it is one of the most versatile pieces of equipment there is.  But if you want, people drag tires or make their own out of wood.  there are some cheap ones on Amazon, but I am not sure how they hold up.

To be honest, I don't really have the room for it inside or outside in the neighborhood to do so. I think what I have will work and a box can really be anything I can jump on.

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Do you have a little brother?  Tie a rope around him.

Mark

I do but I don't know I could get a rope on him 😂

15 hours ago, smiley37 said:

To be honest, I don't really have the room for it inside or outside in the neighborhood to do so. I think what I have will work and a box can really be anything I can jump on.

I do but I don't know I could get a rope on him 😂

You can use the bench to jump onto or use for step ups as long as it is stable (and the ceiling isn't too low...).

On 6/23/2023 at 6:59 AM, BenBreeg said:

You can use the bench to jump onto or use for step ups as long as it is stable (and the ceiling isn't too low...).

Good idea!

Here are some YouTube channels I'd check out:

https://www.youtube.com/@hockeytraining

https://www.youtube.com/@CoachZac

As mentioned earlier, I'd focus on emphasizing "body weight" training since you're a younger teen. Even in workouts that uses weights (barbell, dumbbell, medicine ball, etc.), you can still do these workouts with a BW focus. I really like Hockey Training because they have a lot of "free" resources and even more "paid" resources. 

There are also some good Instagram accounts that I'll have to dig up and will post here for your benefit.

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Here are some YouTube channels I'd check out:

https://www.youtube.com/@hockeytraining

https://www.youtube.com/@CoachZac

As mentioned earlier, I'd focus on emphasizing "body weight" training since you're a younger teen. Even in workouts that uses weights (barbell, dumbbell, medicine ball, etc.), you can still do these workouts with a BW focus. I really like Hockey Training because they have a lot of "free" resources and even more "paid" resources. 

There are also some good Instagram accounts that I'll have to dig up and will post here for your benefit.

Thank you for the youtube channels. My hockey workouts are now more focused to bodyweight training and all of them are from hockey training. The free resources are really helpful and all I really need. No need to look up the instagram accounts because I don't have social media :) 

Edited by smiley37