Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
xstartxtodayx

CCM 720 Tacks Helmet?

Just saw these advertised recently and looked at them on various sites... anyone have any hands on experience with them? 

It appears to be the same shell as the 910 (and therefore the Tacks X), but with totally different padding and a lower price tag.  I've tried Tacks X and it didn't fit my head right, the small was way too tight and the medium just felt like it swallowed my head and sat too low, so I've been sticking with the 910's I have (all small which fit my oval head perfectly in about the middle of the adjustment range).  I know I've tried the 700 series Tacks helmets in the past and they were all a round shape which crushed my forehead, so I'm curious about the 720 since it looks the same as a 910 from the outside.  The specs I've seen also have the 720 coming in almost 50g lighter than the 910 (which is pretty light already).  Jjst curious since a couple of my 910's are getting seriously funky (the padding traps sweat and is nearly impossible to dry fully, I've tried soaking and washing and they still stink lol).

We have them at the shop and I was messing with one the other day.  I'm currently in medium 710's and the fit is perfect at the small end of adjustable range.  The medium 720 was too big for me even closed down.  I'd need a small (which I did not try).  I seems nice, but really nothing that makes me want to change out. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 10:20 AM, Jbear said:

We have them at the shop and I was messing with one the other day.  I'm currently in medium 710's and the fit is perfect at the small end of adjustable range.  The medium 720 was too big for me even closed down.  I'd need a small (which I did not try).  I seems nice, but really nothing that makes me want to change out. 

Damn that's why I didn't like the 910. The sizing was off wear the smallest in medium was still a bit too big and the largest in small felt slightly too tight. The 710 I fit pretty much in the middle of the adjustment. I was hoping the 720 fit the same as the 710. Even the sizing chart for tht 720 is closer to the 710 than the 910 so your experience is surprising. I'll have to try it on for myself in store. 

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Damn that's why I didn't like the 910. The sizing was off wear the smallest in medium was still a bit too big and the largest in small felt slightly too tight. The 710 I fit pretty much in the middle of the adjustment. I was hoping the 720 fit the same as the 710. Even the sizing chart for tht 720 is closer to the 710 than the 910 so your experience is surprising. I'll have to try it on for myself in store. 

could it be due to shape maybe?  I wore V08's before the 910 and the fit was essentially the same, I went from a small V08 to a small 910 both adjusted in about the middle of the range (also when I wore a Bauer IMS9 for a but I was a medium).  I tried on a 710 a few times and it was too round for me, I also owned the older Resistance model which shared the same shell with different padding and that crushed my forehead when I wore it for any more than 5 minutes, was just way too rounded for my oval head lol.

7 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

could it be due to shape maybe?  I wore V08's before the 910 and the fit was essentially the same, I went from a small V08 to a small 910 both adjusted in about the middle of the range (also when I wore a Bauer IMS9 for a but I was a medium).  I tried on a 710 a few times and it was too round for me, I also owned the older Resistance model which shared the same shell with different padding and that crushed my forehead when I wore it for any more than 5 minutes, was just way too rounded for my oval head lol.

V08 and 910 fit similar size wise you're right. I wore a small v08 almost maxed out. Same would've been for the 910. Definitely could be the shape but even the size range for the 910 is different than the 710. The 310 temples caved in too much for me and pinched my temples. Personally I'd rather spend the 310 money due to this crazy inflation. I remember getting my 710 a couple years ago and st that time it was 189 cdn. Now it's north of 200, but I digress. 

I'll just try the 720 in person and see for myself. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 1:20 PM, Jbear said:

I also need a small in this model. The medium, even when collapsed, is too big. 

Has anyone ever done a weight comparison between CCM helmets? For example compare weight of a medium sized 310, 910, 720, and Super Tacks X.  The reason I'm asking is a couple months ago my team had an equipment fitting and I picked up  Super Tacks X, and it seemed really heavy.  I noticed they don't really talk about the weight.

3 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

Has anyone ever done a weight comparison between CCM helmets? For example compare weight of a medium sized 310, 910, 720, and Super Tacks X.  The reason I'm asking is a couple months ago my team had an equipment fitting and I picked up  Super Tacks X, and it seemed really heavy.  I noticed they don't really talk about the weight.

I compared a small 910 to a medium Super Tacks X and the 910 was noticeably lighter.  I don't remember the exact weights (I used my trusty coffee scale lol) but it was surprising (the 910 small is not much different size wise than a med. Super Tacks X so I thought they'd be closer than they actually were).

On 8/1/2023 at 2:39 PM, clarkiestooth said:

Weight wise, the 720 is lighter than the 910, which is lighter than the Tacks X.

For me, comfort and protection are the priority, and the Tacks X beats everything else and fits me perfectly. The weight isn't significant enough that it bothers me. 

The new Hyperlite2 was recently released too, It's still a piece of junk just like the first generation. 

Was able to try this helmet on the other day.  Sizing wise it fits closer to the 710 in that I'm a medium in both where it's adjusted to about 1/4 from the smallest setting. I tried the small and with it on the biggest setting the length was still a bit too  snug but the sides were too narrow. The overall shape however fits more like the 310 where the temple/area where the visor attaches sort of tapers in a bit which isn't super comfy for me. I figure once a visor it installed that area would flare slightly but the 710 has been by far the best fitting and comfortable helmet I've worn so far so it'll be hard to beat. The only issue I have with the 710 is that the glue attaching the liner to the foam degrades pretty quick and I've only had helmet a bit over a year and it is on the heavier side of helmets out there. But at the end of the day fit and comfort over anything else. Kind of a disappointment as I was looking forward to the 720. I also noticed the logos on the 720 are just screened on which made it look kind of cheap. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Was able to try this helmet on the other day.  Sizing wise it fits closer to the 710 in that I'm a medium in both where it's adjusted to about 1/4 from the smallest setting. I tried the small and with it on the biggest setting the length was still a bit too  snug but the sides were too narrow. The overall shape however fits more like the 310 where the temple/area where the visor attaches sort of tapers in a bit which isn't super comfy for me. I figure once a visor it installed that area would flare slightly but the 710 has been by far the best fitting and comfortable helmet I've worn so far so it'll be hard to beat. The only issue I have with the 710 is that the glue attaching the liner to the foam degrades pretty quick and I've only had helmet a bit over a year and it is on the heavier side of helmets out there. But at the end of the day fit and comfort over anything else. Kind of a disappointment as I was looking forward to the 720. I also noticed the logos on the 720 are just screened on which made it look kind of cheap. 

I noticed the logos looked cheap too, wondering if pro stock versions might look better lol.  My teammate picked up a 720 and I was checking it out last week.  He has a medium which was wayyy too big for me and said they felt like they ran on the bigger side compared to the 910 (looking at the inner padding it did seem thinner overall from the shell to the inside of the padding so that would make sense).  My complaint about the 910 is the thin outer layers of padding/coverings, they create pockets where sweat lives and will not dry... for example, after airing it out overnight hanging in the garage then hanging outside on a fence for a few hours I can still squeeze lots of sweat out if I simply touch the forehead area, it's nasty, I've even tried washing and soaking and it hasn't done too much for the stench, so that is one thing I was hoping the 720 might help with.  I still haven't had a chance to get to a store to try one for myself in my size (I'm an hour+ to my closest hockey shop, my blades need sharpening so I'm trying to plan a trip soon lol).

9 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I noticed the logos looked cheap too, wondering if pro stock versions might look better lol.  My teammate picked up a 720 and I was checking it out last week.  He has a medium which was wayyy too big for me and said they felt like they ran on the bigger side compared to the 910 (looking at the inner padding it did seem thinner overall from the shell to the inside of the padding so that would make sense).  My complaint about the 910 is the thin outer layers of padding/coverings, they create pockets where sweat lives and will not dry... for example, after airing it out overnight hanging in the garage then hanging outside on a fence for a few hours I can still squeeze lots of sweat out if I simply touch the forehead area, it's nasty, I've even tried washing and soaking and it hasn't done too much for the stench, so that is one thing I was hoping the 720 might help with.  I still haven't had a chance to get to a store to try one for myself in my size (I'm an hour+ to my closest hockey shop, my blades need sharpening so I'm trying to plan a trip soon lol).

What you described about the 910 sounds like my experience with the 710 in terms of the water/moisture retention

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1