Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kobe

Combo Visor/Cage vs. Full Cage

Well, it finally happened. After wearing a half visor for over 3 years some moron highsticked me yesterday and split my top lip wide open. 4 hours in the hospital and a few stitches later, i've finally decided to use some sort of full facial protection. I've only used a half visor, full visor, and no facial shield at all in my years of playing and I would like some opinions on both a visor/cage combo and a full cage. The problem I had with the full visor was the ventilation. It just sucks breathing back your own warm breath so ventilation is an important issue for me. Visibility is of course another requirement. Looks/aesthetic appeal are a very, very distant last.

I was looking at the Itech RBEVIII cage with that I2 technology and the Oakley half visor/cage combo. Has anyone used a visor/cage combo? Is the ventilation with the cage bottom better than a full face visor with its plastic bottom? My initial thought is that the full cage will provide better ventilation while the visor/cage combo will provide better visibility. Another I have to consider is that the Oakley visor/cage is almost 3 times as expensive as the Itech cage. Please post if you have anything insightful to add. Thanks in advance.

Last year, I finally made the switch from CCM cages and inserted an Oakley Combo on my HC100. I haven't found out ventilation to be so much the problem and to me at least, the ventilation between Cages and Combo is pretty miniscule. Obviously though if I had to choose one, I would choose Cages but as I said before, the difference isn't that huge. After making the transition, I have never gone back since the Combo provides optimal visibility, however, the biggest drawback for me is the weight of the Combo.

Just last night i got a lil slash to where my eyes would be if i didnt have my half visor/cage on.Half visor/cages are good but if i were u i would go get a one thats fully one piece because its like around $30 and the one with the removable half cage his heavier obviously because it is steel.since u already have a visor i dont see a point in buying a combo for almost double price for another one with a half cage.i also find breathing with mine is very good.hope that helps

Kobe,

The same thing happened to me last year (after wearing a visor for six years I was high sticked in the jaw and received a concussion). Anyways, I was wearing an Oakley pro cut aviator and now wear the full visor/cage combo. It took a couple games to get used to it but that is my reccomendation.

i've switched back and forth with these so here is my little chart

visibility

full visor = half visor/ cage are much much better than cage

when i wear cage, i feel so trapped and I can't scan the ice as well

ventilation

cage is better, then half visor/cage, then full visor is the worst

in my opinion, if visibility isn't an issue with the cage, then cage is the way to go

if visibilty andventilation are both wanted, then i suggest half visor/cage

another suggestion with cage is to get the itech 12 advantage.........

not sure about the name, but it's the white inside wiring, and black outside wiring cage... "it tricks your mind"

I'd go with a full cage. Theres some good options with the chrome and silver for visibility and I've just never been a fan of anything full other than cages.

I still use an Itech cage (black one). I find it decent but some people claim they can't see while wearing that. Well, maybe you should try a half and half. I've never had one though.

I've used both a visor/cage combo and a couple cages. I always had fogging issues with the visor cage. Right where the two overlapped is where I couldn't get my fingers in to wipe off the condensation, and that's where I like to look at out of my periphery or directly. Plus I was too negligent/lazy with protecting my visor from scratches.

I've used the RBE III and did not like the two closely spaced middle vertical bars at all for visibility, just too distracting. The RBE VIII looks very similar to the Jofa 480 that I use, and I like its more uniform bar spacing overall for vision. My particular issue has to do with how high my eyes are, there's one bar that is right in the way of me looking straight ahead. I flipped the clips upside down, but the cage is now mounted higher and doesn't fit as comfortably. I'm just an oddball that way. Anyway, just something to keep in mind.

I use the Itech I2 cage and it is very nice. The shaft is close to the jofa and the bars are pretty spaced out. The white is nice but I dont notice a difference because I have only used cages in my life. I would recommend this cage.

I use a Z-Leader full cage. The wires are wave shape in front of your eyes instead of straight. Just another option to consider.

Ive seen people get chirped pretty bad with those cages. :D

I use a Z-Leader full cage. The wires are wave shape in front of your eyes instead of straight. Just another option to consider.

Ive seen people get chirped pretty bad with those cages. :D

It's no different protection than any other full cage. Just a different design.

I use the Bauer FM4000... I found that it was better than any chrome cages or the Itech I2 and the RBEs... I've tried them all!

Durability is quite good... half a year, no chips in paint anywhere... and I haven't been treating it very nicely either.