Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
smiley37

What size stick do I need

I'm about 5'3 around 130 lbs and I don't know if I should be using a 50 flex or a 55 flex. I know the flex won't feel different but the height of the stick confuses me. I have been told that if I get a 55 flex and cut it down it will become around 60-65 and then my shot will be more powerful but the junior 50 flex stick is the height I need. Which one do yall think I need?

Height is often times a preference sort of thing.  However, a general rule with skates on, a forward would have the stick be just under the bottom of your chin.  Defenseman, closer to the mouth or just below the nose.  Preferences can of course be in between the two, or it could go outside the range ( even shorter or longer that what i stated).  Shorter sticks are better for stick handling, longer is harder for stick handling, but give yous reach for forward take aways or defenseman blocking shots or chipping pucks away.  I'm 6'4 and play D, i used to use a stick up to my nose, but my god it was horrible for stick handling.  Over the years i slowly cut it down and have it just below my lower lip.  Still plenty of length and reach being tall, but it has seriously helped with my stick handling abilities.   Just my 2 cents as a beer leaguer now.

Edited by noupf
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, noupf said:

Height is often times a preference sort of thing.  However, a general rule with skates on, a forward would have the stick be just under the bottom of your chin.  Defenseman, closer to the mouth or just below the nose.  Preferences can of course be in between the two, or it could go outside the range ( even shorter or longer that what i stated).  Shorter sticks are better for stick handling, longer is harder for stick handling, but give yous reach for forward take aways or defenseman blocking shots or chipping pucks away.  I'm 6'4 and play D, i used to use a stick up to my nose, but my god it was horrible for stick handling.  Over the years i slowly cut it down and have it just below my lower lip.  Still plenty of length and reach being tall, but it has seriously helped with my stick handling abilities.   Just my 2 cents as a beer leaguer now.

Thanks for your thoughts but it's hard for me to know because I don't have a set position and I play all positions. Overall, off skates when I try a junior stick its at my nose which seems to be a good height but I want the power that people say i will get from a higher flex stick. 

There’s a difference in dimensions between a junior and int stick. If you are comfortable with the way the junior feels in your hand, give it a try. 

A higher flex doesn’t automatically mean more power. It means the stick will rebound more when flexed, IF you can flex it correctly. If it’s too stiff you’re actually gonna lose power on your shot. 

• Like 3

Don't get obsessed with power.  Of course you don't want to shoot muffins, but speed of release and accuracy will beat power every time.  So get a stick that feels good in your hands (Jr. vs. Int shaft), and then go with a stick length that allows you to do everything well equally if you play all positions.  In general, that would mean cutting it to about chin height on skates.  And as far as flex, I find that the feel when giving/catching passes is a good barometer for what flex you should use, not the half your weight thing (which is still a decent starting point though).  Play "catch" with a hard passer - if your can feel you stick flexing when you catch a hard pass - probably too low in flex.  If you're stick feels like a piece of metal when catching a hard pass and there's no give at all, go a lower flex.

• Like 1

I'm 5'5 160lbs, I use a 50 flex. I'd recommend the 50 flex. Bauer 50 flex stick have the same dimensions as an intermediate, but come stock at junior height. Sherwood 50 flex sticks are classified by them as intermediate and thus have intermediate shaft dimensions and intermediate height. Warrior 50 flex Novum line and their new LX  stick have intermediate blade dimensions, but have a junior shaft and junior height. Also, there isn't really a universal stock height for sticks in general, so a 50 flex junior stick from Bauer is going to be a different stock height than from Warrior. Bauer's height will be 53" and a Warrior juinor stock height will come in around 50"-51".

So for comparison, if you cut a 55 flex stick down to the same height as a 50 flex junior stick or if you lengthen a 50 flex junior stick to the same height as a 55 intermediate, when you compare the two, the flex difference will still always be 5. Flex doesn't change. What changes when you cut or lengthen the stick is the amount of leverage you have to flex the stick, making the stick easier or harder to bend. regardless of if you cut or not.

Here's a video from an engineer from True explaining things. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 4:00 AM, puckpilot said:

I'm 5'5 160lbs, I use a 50 flex. I'd recommend the 50 flex. Bauer 50 flex stick have the same dimensions as an intermediate, but come stock at junior height. Sherwood 50 flex sticks are classified by them as intermediate and thus have intermediate shaft dimensions and intermediate height. Warrior 50 flex Novum line and their new LX  stick have intermediate blade dimensions, but have a junior shaft and junior height. Also, there isn't really a universal stock height for sticks in general, so a 50 flex junior stick from Bauer is going to be a different stock height than from Warrior. Bauer's height will be 53" and a Warrior juinor stock height will come in around 50"-51".

So for comparison, if you cut a 55 flex stick down to the same height as a 50 flex junior stick or if you lengthen a 50 flex junior stick to the same height as a 55 intermediate, when you compare the two, the flex difference will still always be 5. Flex doesn't change. What changes when you cut or lengthen the stick is the amount of leverage you have to flex the stick, making the stick easier or harder to bend. regardless of if you cut or not.

Here's a video from an engineer from True explaining things. 

I'll take your recommendation of a 50 flex stick. As for what line of stick, would you recommend Jetspeed or Nexus? I don't shoot farther than the top of the circles.

If you want a stick with intermediate shaft and blade dimensions, go with the Bauer. The blade and shaft of CCM 50 flex sticks are smaller. Though in terms of  other Junior sticks, they have the largest blade and shaft dimensions aside from Bauer. 

37 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

If you want a stick with intermediate shaft and blade dimensions, go with the Bauer. The blade and shaft of CCM 50 flex sticks are smaller. Though in terms of  other Junior sticks, they have the largest blade and shaft dimensions aside from Bauer. 

Are the kickpoints relatively the same? I know Nexus is mid and Jetspeed is hybrid but I'm not sure what is the best

1 hour ago, smiley37 said:

Are the kickpoints relatively the same? I know Nexus is mid and Jetspeed is hybrid but I'm not sure what is the best

They both fill a similar niche, but neither is the best. Once you get down to that, it becomes personal preference. Each stick has it's own characteristics that some will love and some will hate. Sorry, I can't give you a more definitive answer than that. For me, I tend to like the bigger blade and shaft, but it's not a deal breaker.

14 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

They both fill a similar niche, but neither is the best. Once you get down to that, it becomes personal preference. Each stick has it's own characteristics that some will love and some will hate. Sorry, I can't give you a more definitive answer than that. For me, I tend to like the bigger blade and shaft, but it's not a deal breaker.

I like the idea of a bigger blade, but I'll go to Purehockey and I'm pretty sure you can test the sticks on dryland tiles. 

On 9/5/2023 at 11:36 AM, puckpilot said:

CCM's 55 flex is only one inch taller than a junior stick. Would that be good to use since the flex isnt that different?

7 hours ago, smiley37 said:

CCM's 55 flex is only one inch taller than a junior stick. Would that be good to use since the flex isnt that different?

Depends on if you can flex the stick or not. Other things being equal, all that matters is if you can flex the stick properly or not.