Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
walkerdb7

myBauer Re-Akt Helmet - 3D Printed Digital Foam

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

So I can't actually find it anywhere...

How much does one of these cost?

Mark

My Bauer Reakt - $549.99 USD

CCM Custom X - $579.99 USD

• Like 1

Many pros are wearing the Tacks X custom helmet and can't say I have seen any wearing the custom Bauer helmet.

FWIW, I know quite a few pro equipment managers and they also haven't seen any of their players using the custom Bauer helmet. 

1 hour ago, Hills said:

But isn't the Bauer helmet like the custom skates part? You are taking an existing shell, then adding custom printed parts to the existing shell along with the existing stock padding. I'm not saying you need a new shell to make a fully custom product, but I am saying having all of that stock padding in there makes it hard for me to believe this is the best fit possible from the 3D scan and fit process.

If VT takes another poor fitting helmet and throws it on their sample I am sure it will get a low rating. Not sure how VT could do a test of the myBauer custom made one without someone at Bauer knowing about the scan that comes through.

Thank you, the additional clarification helps me understand what you are saying better.

I am very familiar with the skate scan, assembly, and manufacturing processes. That is completely apples and oranges from what's happening with the 3D printing in the helmets.

No one is creating the individual piece components of ankle padding, the footbed, or tongue on-demand from scratch based on your unique scan in the skate world. The equivalent process of making the individual liner components from scratch is what's happening with the helmets. With skates, they are customized with stock pieces of materials in fixed sizes that are sitting on the shelf waiting for an order. The unique combination of the stock materials is what makes them custom to order.

Yes, not every inch of the Bauer liner is done with 3DP. That was done to match Bauer's design goals within the balancing act I keep referring to, of safety, fit, and weight/breathability. As far as customization goes, though, all the key areas, such as the frontal areas, crown, and occipital lobe, are 3D printed. That is where you will most notice the fit differences compared with a stock helmet. If someone has an abnormal lump on the very top of their head, then they could be an outlier from fully enjoying this helmet, but I believe you're getting into the 1-2% of people scenarios now.

As I stated above, it's my understanding that the helmet should be tested by VT. I won't know anything more until it's publicly available, though. If VT does not test it, I will be disappointed. I am dying to see the results myself, assuming it performs like I would expect.

1 hour ago, VegasHockey said:

Many pros are wearing the Tacks X custom helmet and can't say I have seen any wearing the custom Bauer helmet.

FWIW, I know quite a few pro equipment managers and they also haven't seen any of their players using the custom Bauer helmet. 

Geargeek posted about spotting a handful of guys wearing them back in January, not sure how many stuck with them or will wear them going forward but they're out there.

For me, I like the concept and how the stuff will be custom made to contour to your head exactly but I would never try it since it doesn't get past the first test for me... the helmet is ugly (plus that's a ton of money for a helmet).  Put that tech in a 4500 shell and you'd get so many more people interested lol.  But honestly I switched from V08's to 910's a few years back b/c it was the first "modern" helmet that looked good to me (I tried several other models over the years but they never passed the mirror test), I know I'm not alone in being this shallow 😆

2 hours ago, mojo122 said:

My Bauer Reakt - $549.99 USD

CCM Custom X - $579.99 USD

550 actually seems reasonable considering all the cost, labor, and process that goes into SLS printing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stewie said:

550 actually seems reasonable considering all the cost, labor, and process that goes into SLS printing. 

Just takes a leap of faith that the custom fit is better than any of the retail models.  What would be useful to know is the number of helmets made so far and the number where the fit is off.  For me I feel as if I have a good fit with the 150.  

8 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Geargeek posted about spotting a handful of guys wearing them back in January, not sure how many stuck with them or will wear them going forward but they're out there.

For me, I like the concept and how the stuff will be custom made to contour to your head exactly but I would never try it since it doesn't get past the first test for me... the helmet is ugly (plus that's a ton of money for a helmet).  Put that tech in a 4500 shell and you'd get so many more people interested lol.  But honestly I switched from V08's to 910's a few years back b/c it was the first "modern" helmet that looked good to me (I tried several other models over the years but they never passed the mirror test), I know I'm not alone in being this shallow 😆

99% of customers I have dealt with always do a mirror test. I totally get it. 

I'll poke around and see if I can find any data on what pro players, if any, are using it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

99% of customers I have dealt with always do a mirror test. I totally get it. 

I'll poke around and see if I can find any data on what pro players, if any, are using it. 

They are out there:

boston-bruins-v-montreal-canadiens.jpg?s

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

Cale Makar has worn it for a couple seasons now. He wore during his Conn Smyth campaign. Eichel wore it from day 1 in Vegas. Other Bauer athletes like Suzuki, Caulfield, etc are wearing it too. All of team Canada had them at the WJC, which got cancelled.

Some of the Instagram equipment accounts have caught on, here's pics of NHL guys in it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn4t2rApvzA/?img_index=1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnxhqyKOwNn/

Here's the "lost" team canada pic:

image.png.cd8e177c4f25853e662d46155752e1e9.png

Edited by walkerdb7

19 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Just takes a leap of faith that the custom fit is better than any of the retail models.  What would be useful to know is the number of helmets made so far and the number where the fit is off.  For me I feel as if I have a good fit with the 150.  

I am sorry, I don't have those exact figures.

For the development phase, we helped Bauer build like 500ish helmets before they got their own machine in house. They don't share the specifics of how many they produced since taking over the production. You definitely won't have like helmet 11 if that is at all a concern.

These pro and retail helmets are produced in Blainville.

On 9/12/2023 at 5:53 PM, mojo122 said:

I agree. For someone like me where it’s hard to find a helmet that fits well it’s a great, be it expensive option. 

10 hours ago, walkerdb7 said:

I am sorry, I don't have those exact figures.

For the development phase, we helped Bauer build like 500ish helmets before they got their own machine in house. They don't share the specifics of how many they produced since taking over the production. You definitely won't have like helmet 11 if that is at all a concern.

These pro and retail helmets are produced in Blainville.

Curious as to about how many helmets worth you can nest in one build ( fully aware the variety of build volumes different machines have) 

On 9/13/2023 at 10:30 PM, Stewie said:

I agree. For someone like me where it’s hard to find a helmet that fits well it’s a great, be it expensive option. 

Curious as to about how many helmets worth you can nest in one build ( fully aware the variety of build volumes different machines have) 

There are using the EOS P770. I don't believe the specifics of helmets per build are information we should be sharing, but it's a solid number.

The process is set up so that 1 lot of helmets finishes every 24 hours. We are not building to full height and letting the machine sit unattended for multiple days. This ensures that the machine is not a bottle neck for post processing, assembly, shipping, etc.