Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Bane

True TF7 repairable?

I've had True TF7 skates for about 13 months. I play once a week in them and now my right boot has developed a crack along the back of the heel/tendon guard. Anyone think it's repairable?  

20230816_122504.jpg

It's crazy how it doesn't matter if it's the carbon fiber boot or not, but this issue is happening on every retail boot true has made from the tf to the cats. 

On 9/9/2023 at 12:22 PM, Sniper9 said:

It's crazy how it doesn't matter if it's the carbon fiber boot or not, but this issue is happening on every retail boot true has made from the tf to the cats. 

As big of a True skate guy as I am, I won't buy any of the lightweight shell models until they figure this out.  I like everything about the Cats aside from the fragility.  

Edited by Monty22

14 hours ago, Monty22 said:

As big of a True skate guy as I am, I won't buy any of the lightweight shell models until they figure this out.  I like everything about the Cats aside form the fragility.  

I agree with you. I wont look at true skates again until this is resolved. I play one game a week in them and didn't get much more than year. Worst longevity I've ever had with a skate boot. 

Howdy,

How repairable it is is going to be down to how far down / what's actually cracked...  I think you need to talk to True's customer service folks to try and get to someone that could really answer that.

If the crack is just in the presumably superficial clear coat, probably the right answer is to not do anything at all?  But if the crack is in the actual fiberglass structure, then I would assume the only way you could repair it would be to sand down / scuff up both sides and apply a fiberglass patch.  But I would also assume that this isn't just "fiberglass" since the shell is heat moldable, etc. etc.

Sorry this is happening.  Hopefully True can respond and at least give you some information even if its not a warranty type thing.

Mark

On 9/11/2023 at 9:35 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

How repairable it is is going to be down to how far down / what's actually cracked...  I think you need to talk to True's customer service folks to try and get to someone that could really answer that.

If the crack is just in the presumably superficial clear coat, probably the right answer is to not do anything at all?  But if the crack is in the actual fiberglass structure, then I would assume the only way you could repair it would be to sand down / scuff up both sides and apply a fiberglass patch.  But I would also assume that this isn't just "fiberglass" since the shell is heat moldable, etc. etc.

Sorry this is happening.  Hopefully True can respond and at least give you some information even if its not a warranty type thing.

Mark

True has an email address to request a quote for repair pricing, but they have yet to reply. I sent in the query a few weeks ago, and no reply, at this point I would be surprised if they respond at all. 

On 9/6/2023 at 8:36 PM, Bane said:

I've had True TF7 skates for about 13 months. I play once a week in them and now my right boot has developed a crack along the back of the heel/tendon guard. Anyone think it's repairable?  

20230816_122504.jpg

The cost to repair is going to be the same or more than buying a new skate. The TF7 has been on closeout pricing for a little while. 

On 9/10/2023 at 6:16 AM, Monty22 said:

As big of a True skate guy as I am, I won't buy any of the lightweight shell models until they figure this out.  I like everything about the Cats aside from the fragility.  

They allegedly fixed this issue with the hzrdus line of skates and their solution to the cat pros is to slap another layer of carbon over the stock shell. Only time will tell if the hzrdus shell is more durable. 

On 9/12/2023 at 10:58 PM, VegasHockey said:

The cost to repair is going to be the same or more than buying a new skate. The TF7 has been on closeout pricing for a little while. 

You are correct. True customer service said they can repair it for $140 plus $20 shipping. As a result, I'll be looking at new skates that aren't True.