Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hockeydad97

Skatescribe profile, anyone skating on?

Just got some new steel for trues JRZ dlc, with skatescribe gold profile. Anxious to try them out tomorrow.  
anyone skating on a skatescribe profile, if so which and what are your thoughts or comparisons to previous profile.

thanks

I don’t see any gold profile on their site.  What is their angle?  Just computerized sharpening?  All i see are standard combos of hollow, single radius profiles, and pitch.

The Skatescribe Gold Profile is really nice fast and Agile Profile. Probably my favourite from them.  (12’ heal, 14’ Center, 8.65’ toe.)  My boy tried it out of curiosity and he liked it a lot, but went back to his previous profile which was a ME Quad/981 hybrid. Other boys on his team also tried it and liked it. 

Edited by Paluce

On 9/23/2023 at 9:10 AM, Paluce said:

The Skatescribe Gold Profile is really nice fast and Agile Profile. Probably my favourite from them.  (12’ heal, 14’ Center, 8.65’ toe.)  My boy tried it out of curiosity and he liked it a lot, but went back to his previous profile which was a ME Quad/981 hybrid. Other boys on his team also tried it and liked it. 

Is there built in pitch on the tydan gold profile? 

Skatescribe does pitch by angle.  Prosharp moves the cl back 15mm 17mm 20mm whatever you want in order for the profile to take more steel off the toe and pitch it forward. I prefer Skatescribe’s method much better. That is a true angle  0 deg, 0.1deg, 0.2 deg… I skate with an 0.4deg pitch. That’s about 0.035” less steel on the toe vs the heal on a 272 blade. I can switch profiles and if I keep that same 0.4deg pitch I always feel balanced.

Skatescribe does pitch by angle.  Prosharp moves the cl back 15mm 17mm 20mm whatever you want in order for the profile to take more steel off the toe and pitch it forward. I prefer Skatescribe’s method much better. That is a true angle  0 deg, 0.1deg, 0.2 deg… I skate with an 0.4deg pitch. That’s about 0.035” less steel on the toe vs the heal on a 272 blade. I can switch profiles and if I keep that same 0.4deg pitch I always feel balanced.

On 9/23/2023 at 6:10 AM, Paluce said:

Would be curious to try Skatescibe and compare options or profiles to existing Prosharp profile boys on, but don’t think anyone in left-coast states has one of those Lamborghini machines. The ME Quad/981 profile sounds like in interesting option to try coming from prosharp Quad. Which Manufacturer’s proprietary profile is it?  

Edited by OCpuckhead11

The ME 981/Quad hybrid profile is only available through CompetitiveEdgeHockey.ca at the moment. It will become available through Blackstone once their new profiler launches. It was just displayed at the equipment, managers conference in Arizona a few months ago. The profiler measures the blades current pitch by angle and you can adjust from there. So nice! 

Edited by Paluce

19 hours ago, OCpuckhead11 said:

Would be curious to try Skatescibe and compare options or profiles to existing Prosharp profile boys on, but don’t think anyone in left-coast states has one of those Lamborghini machines. The ME Quad/981 profile sounds like in interesting option to try coming from prosharp Quad. Which Manufacturer’s proprietary profile is it?  

I tried the Skatescribe Power Cut and hate it compared to my Quad 1. It is too rounded everywhere for my liking.

40 minutes ago, Hills said:

I tried the Skatescribe Power Cut and hate it compared to my Quad 1. It is too rounded everywhere for my liking.

That’s strange because the overall rocker on the power cut is less than the Quad 1.  The Quad 1 has about 0.030” (0.75mm) more rocker. It’s a rounder profile.   You might have felt the rounder heal of the powercut which is 12’,  vs 15’ on the Quad 1.

17 minutes ago, Paluce said:

That’s strange because the overall rocker on the power cut is less than the Quad 1.  The Quad 1 has about 0.030” (0.75mm) more rocker. It’s a rounder profile.   You might have felt the rounder heal of the powercut which is 12’,  vs 15’ on the Quad 1.

Yeah, I felt the rounder heel and it is why the whole skate felt "too round for my liking." The 10', 10.75' on the back of the skate made the whole steel feel rounded where the Quad feels flatter in the mid-to-rear. The blade felt like it was just a circle anywhere off the middle, where I'd prefer the more aggressive toe and flatter heel in a Quad.

On 11/1/2023 at 2:33 PM, Paluce said:

The ME 981/Quad hybrid profile is only available through CompetitiveEdgeHockey.ca at the moment. It will become available through Blackstone once their new profiler launches. It was just displayed at the equipment, managers conference in Arizona a few months ago. The profiler measures the blades current pitch by angle and you can adjust from there. So nice! 

Hopefully we get some of those machines out here sometime in the next decade… always last to the party with new tech in this market. looking at website I’d definitely like to try it out. Is that shop local for you or do you mail your steel in? Did your boy use any prosharp profiles prior to the Quad Hybrid profile?

Edited by OCpuckhead11

Both my kids were on Quads prior to going to the 981/Quad Hybrid.  Never looked back.  I skate on this profile myself now for beer league 🙂We did a blind test with 5 other boys on his AAA team, and 3 tier 1 girls. All 8 kids preferred the 981/Quad Hybrid over the Quad which they were on previously and moved to that profile.  The speed is noticeable, but they still have all the agility of the Quad.     Some did mail in profiling, others just bought new blades from CompetitiveEdgeHockey.ca It’s a great profile!

Seems to me the ideal would be a CNC-type profiler that could accept any profile.  Ideal for the consumer and middle man (skate shop that does profiles).  Vendor-wise, not so sure how the business model would work.  That's only from an implementation standpoint.  Still WAY too little data and knowledge to match a skater to a profile.

22 hours ago, OCpuckhead11 said:

Hopefully we get some of those machines out here sometime in the next decade… always last to the party with new tech in this market. looking at website I’d definitely like to try it out. Is that shop local for you or do you mail your steel in? Did your boy use any prosharp profiles prior to the Quad Hybrid profile?

Are you in So Cal? I assume so based on your user name. 

Edited by VegasHockey

47 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Seems to me the ideal would be a CNC-type profiler that could accept any profile.  Ideal for the consumer and middle man (skate shop that does profiles).  Vendor-wise, not so sure how the business model would work.  That's only from an implementation standpoint.  Still WAY too little data and knowledge to match a skater to a profile.

That's the beauty of Skatescribe machines, you can create any profile you want. It's all software driven, there are no templates.  

11 hours ago, Paluce said:

Both my kids were on Quads prior to going to the 981/Quad Hybrid.  Never looked back.  I skate on this profile myself now for beer league 🙂We did a blind test with 5 other boys on his AAA team, and 3 tier 1 girls. All 8 kids preferred the 981/Quad Hybrid over the Quad which they were on previously and moved to that profile.  The speed is noticeable, but they still have all the agility of the Quad.     Some did mail in profiling, others just bought new blades from CompetitiveEdgeHockey.ca It’s a great profile!

PM sent 

On 11/3/2023 at 8:07 AM, Paluce said:

What quad profiles were they on, specifically? The quads are a little aggressive and require quite a bit of athletic balance. They're not for everyone.

What exactly is a 981/Quad hybrid, anyway?  

Edited by pgeorgan

On 11/3/2023 at 12:31 PM, VegasHockey said:

That's the beauty of Skatescribe machines, you can create any profile you want. It's all software driven, there are no templates.  

I posted a question about these profiles earlier this year and you said you were going to ask if you could share any info, but I never saw that you responded. 

Still curious what profiles they offer. Their website still doesn't list them, but I know they have a few odd-sounding ones out there. Atomic K Cut, eg. 

Edit: I found some random info on Instagram, but Atomic K Cut Is listed as "top secret". Sounds like a lot of marketing but I'm open to anything. 

Edited by pgeorgan

On 11/3/2023 at 12:31 PM, VegasHockey said:

How can I go about getting a Quad XS/Zero hybrid? Eg, 6 ft – 8.5 ft – 11 ft – 12.5 ft, and 18.5mm of forward pitch. 

I have money. Will pay. 🙂

Edited by pgeorgan

3 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

What quad profiles were they on, specifically? The quads are a little aggressive and require quite a bit of athletic balance. They're not for everyone.

What exactly is a 981/Quad hybrid, anyway?  

I can do that!  I draw custom profiles in CAD all the time and cut them for certain players/Teams.