Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Zaphod042

Hockey Camps (Boys, Girls, Adults)

With all the various hockey camps around the US and Canada, thought it would be great to have a topic for folks to shed light on their experiences with those hockey camps.  There doesn't really seem to be too much available on the interwebs, apart from the bigger camps (i.e. Heartland, Shattuck, Elite, Can-Am) that are always advertised in USA Hockey magazine.  So with that said, let's hear it... What are people's thoughts on camps and clinics offered up in the summer or any other part of the year for that matter.

If anyone knows a forum (or site) that this is previously discussed in, please share the link.

Thanks

When I was a kid, you had to travel for camps.  We always went to Miami of Ohio.  It was fun staying in the dorm and stuff.

but now there are good local camps and other a la carte stuff so I have never considered travel camps for my son.

Howdy,

I did a Weekend Warrior adult camp in Pittsburgh last year.  Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon, IIRC.  As I remember, single ice slots on Thursday & Sunday, with 2 a day on Friday/Saturday.  Also lots of classroom / video / whatever sessions.

I had a great time.  I didn't get any magical overnight improvements, but I did learn about some things that I still think about today.  For this old guy it was a bit like turning back the clock and being in sports in Highschool or whatever, where all i cared about for a few days was hockey.  The camp is pitched to all levels, but I would say that the majority of folks there were on the "started playing hockey as an adult" spectrum.  I don't recall anyone that struggled to skate at all, but there weren't guys out there 5 years removed from playing AA travel hockey either.  I will say that your body needs to be able to handle that much ice time.  They're super understanding and will work with people, but I know that I'd feel like I was letting myself down if I had to miss significant portions of the on ice stuff.  You probably don't want to take the camp if the idea of two games in a weekend is too much for you, for instance.

For me personally, I'll do it again if the stars schedule-wise align correctly.  I didn't do one this year because of shoulder surgery.  I am worried about how my body will hold up as I get older.  Cost isn't cheap (particularly if you're travelling), but I figure I'm at least partly paying to just be able to put the rest of the world on pause and pretend to be a full time hockey guy for a weekend.  My version of a fantasy camp.  🙂

Mark

Edited by marka

Timely post. I was actually thinking about something like this just the other day. I remember camps as a kid, but thought it might be beneficial to do something as an adult. I was specifically thinking about a figure skating coach / private lessons. Forgot where I read about some pros having figure skate coaches come in to help them with edge work. Just thought it might be something worth trying 

A buddy and I did do an adult program a couple years ago.  It was geared toward beginners and that’s who was there.  But for us, 1- it was a chance to do drills with other guys 2- it was run by probably the best skating coach (hockey) in the city and she picked out a couple little things I would never have noticed on my own