Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Beflar

If you can afford something like True SVH skates why would you bother getting off the shelf skates?

Even if I could afford them, I couldn't justify spending the amount of money for custom skates when playing beer league 1-2 a week. If I was playing competitively at any level, a different story.

9 hours ago, tvuollo said:

Even if I could afford them, I couldn't justify spending the amount of money for custom skates when playing beer league 1-2 a week. If I was playing competitively at any level, a different story.

I have hit that point in my life that I will gladly pay the extra money for items if it makes me comfortable. 😉 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VegasHockey said:

I have hit that point in my life that I will gladly pay the extra money for items if it makes me comfortable. 😉 

Especially if the item in question is going to be around for years.

$430 hockey sticks?  No thanks.

$1600 custom skates?  Yup.

(Prices in Canadian dollars)

"If you can afford something like True SVH skates why would you bother getting off the shelf skates?"

Easy. Because they don't offer me any advantage over my current retail Bauer skates. Certainly not a 2x one. 

Edited by pgeorgan

6 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

"If you can afford something like True SVH skates why would you bother getting off the shelf skates?"

Easy. Because they don't offer me any advantage over my current retail Bauer skates. Certainly not a 2x one. 

How do you know if you have never tried it? Because that is kinda how I thought then I tried it and just shook my head on the difference btw the two.

It is only a matter of time as custom becomes more the norm.  Be sure to post back in ten years after you try them:)

3 minutes ago, Beflar said:

How do you know if you have never tried it? Because that is kinda how I thought then I tried it and just shook my head on the difference btw the two.

It is only a matter of time as custom becomes more the norm.  Be sure to post back in ten years after you try them:)

I did try on a pair of SVH Customs that fit pretty close to my foot. It wasn't a vast improvement, if any, for me anyway. Certainly not a 2-3x improvement when compared to how cheaply I can get a great fitting tier 1 pair of Bauer skates from a prior year. 

Even if I had never touched a pair of SVH in my life, I know that there isn't enough slack in my current pair for 2-3x improvement to justify the cost. Just because one can afford something doesn't mean they should be foolish or reckless about it. 

Edited by pgeorgan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beflar said:

No they won't. People will pay what they're comfortable with and if their cap is $400, $550, etc then that's it. Most don't want to go through the hassle, wait and potential disappointment of them not being perfect.

But keep flexing in your flex thread.

4 hours ago, nutters said:

No they won't. People will pay what they're comfortable with and if their cap is $400, $550, etc then that's it. Most don't want to go through the hassle, wait and potential disappointment of them not being perfect.

But keep flexing in your flex thread.

You do know this is a site about hockey equipment right? 

I've never seen someone get triggered over $1600 Canadian but has no problem with $550..   

Would you like me to post about how excited I am buying $550 skates?  Would that make you happy?  I did that and they hurt my feet, which I thought was normal, till I bought the custom SVH, which was the point of the thread.  

You have a great day..

4 hours ago, Beflar said:

You do know this is a site about hockey equipment right? 

I've never seen someone get triggered over $1600 Canadian but has no problem with $550..   

Would you like me to post about how excited I am buying $550 skates?  Would that make you happy?  I did that and they hurt my feet, which I thought was normal, till I bought the custom SVH, which was the point of the thread.  

You have a great day..

You said most people will be buying customs in 10 years, and I disagreed. Beer leaguers aren't going to triple their skate budget for whatever reason. 

No league I play in,  regardless of skill level, has anyone in customs. There is barely anyone in top tier skates that came out in the last 10 years either.

However,  I wouldn't call someone else triggered then send off the kind words you did either in a private message.

You said most people will be buying customs in 10 years, and I disagreed. Beer leaguers aren't going to triple their skate budget for whatever reason. 

No league I play in,  regardless of skill level, has anyone in customs. There is barely anyone in top tier skates that came out in the last 10 years either.

However,  I wouldn't call someone else triggered then send off the kind words you did either in a private message.

Enjoy playing with your wood stick.

I'd have to agree here. Custom SVH market is very niche. Same with Bauer and CCM. Parents aren't going to get their kids customs of any kind when they'll outgrow them almost overnight.

As far as adults are concerned, I know one player in SVH because everyone on the team got a pair, whether they used them or not. At some point, I think PSH got their hands on a lot of the unwanted pairs, as they had a massive influx of new SVH Custom team stock (which is how I got my hands on a pair in my size). 

If I were to ever actually get custom, I would probably only feel comfortable with CCM or Bauer since I'd have a pretty good idea what to expect. 

Edited by pgeorgan