Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beedee

Question about minor skate repair needed

I recently acquired these 3xPro's (2nd-hand) and noticed there is a small portion of the liner abrasion reinforcement piece on the medial side of the left skate that has kind of peeled back a tad, and one stitch has come undone. Nothing major by any means, but I'd like to prevent further peelage. I am planning to go to my local shop tomorrow to see what they say, but I know we have some seasoned players in here that may have some suggestions. I was thinking a small dab of some silicone adhesive (Shoe-Goo, E6000, etc.) might do the trick? Maybe just a small piece of black cloth tape over the area and wrapped over the top?

Also, would you recommend filing down those little "teeth" in the eyelets? One of the laces already has been shredded a bit.

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

I might trust an old school cobbler more than a local shop in this case (unless it's a legit shop with people who know what they're doing, not something like a Pure Hockey), couple stitches and could prob replace that eyelet in no time.  Hardest part is finding one still in business still.

Super minor, just use a dab of flexible glue like shoe goo and clamp it. It will hold. I used shoe goo on the liner for my vapor 1X tendon guard, previous owner had used his one skate to pry his other skate off. Shoe goo did the job. It’s been about 18 months.

injected eyelets are a bitch, in my opinion. Maybe waxed laces will help keep them from being snagged.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sturdy22 said:

Super minor, just use a dab of flexible glue like shoe goo and clamp it. It will hold. I used shoe goo on the liner for my vapor 1X tendon guard, previous owner had used his one skate to pry his other skate off. Shoe goo did the job. It’s been about 18 months.

injected eyelets are a bitch, in my opinion. Maybe waxed laces will help keep them from being snagged.

Thank you. I put a small dab of E6000 on a toothpick and applied it to the piece that was folded over after wiping it down with rubbing alcohol. Gently applied enough pressure with my thumb for a few minutes and then wedged something between the tongue and the affected area to further apply pressure. Worked out perfectly. 

I did pick up some waxed (and shorter) laces today, had them on all my previous skates as well. This is my first time owning skates with injected eyelets, hoping they aren’t too much trouble. 

Howdy,

If you want the injected eyelets to hold the lace less, I don't see why filing down the teeth a bit wouldn't work just fine.  Obviously less is more, since you can't un-file it.

Mark

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 3:32 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

If you want the injected eyelets to hold the lace less, I don't see why filing down the teeth a bit wouldn't work just fine.  Obviously less is more, since you can't un-file it.

Mark

I took some sand paper (and rolled it up) to the "teeth" of the injected eyelets to dull down the edges before I replaced the original laces with Elite Waxed, all is well. Skates have been great!

Edited by beedee
  • Like 1