Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
boo10

P28 Use Among NHL Defencemen

23 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

The new McDavid curve? Wasn't the P28 the Hall curve?

P28 was never associated to Hall. As far as I can recall hall was p92 (at the time E3)

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Bauer, ccm,  true, warrior, sher wood all have very subtle differences in their iteration of the p28. So you might be on to something with ones being based off certain pro curves. 

This would make sense actually. I remember watching or reading somewhere about the thousands of curve moulds Warrior has. I imagine every manufacturer has a few hundred p28 variants alone.

I’d assume the use the most common variant maybe…

Anyone from manufacturers in here that could jump into this convo? Would be fascinating to get inside info 

On 4/11/2024 at 6:13 AM, Yardelm said:

Love this topic. Recently start switching back and forth between p28 variants and p92/p90/p90tm/benn curves. Variety is the spice of life!

My question is, has anyone used the Pastrnak or Kucherov Bauer custom curves? Can’t seem to find much info on these but really want to try them but don’t want to buy both just to try them haha. 

From what I can gather, despite being similar they play different. 

Also for those interested, I’m pretty sure that Sher-Wood’s p28 is actually the Fisher variant (which is what the Kuch is I think?). It has a smoother and more gradual curve, definitely less of a flat spot and is noticeably shorter. Check out the images below.

Based on Bauers old marketing from Insta, the Sher-Wood looks identical to what Bauer claims is the Fisher. 

Similarity is remarkable isn’t it?

Bauer’s Insta p28 (left) vs Fisher (right): https://ibb.co/F80Pmbq

Sher-Wood p28 (right) vs Bauer p28 (left): https://ibb.co/7Gz19PG

Does anyone have experience playing with the Kuch or Pasta variants? How do they compare to the p28 in terms of shooting, puck handling etc?

Ie) if the Sher-Wood is in fact a Fisher, I notice my accuracy for some reason is not as pin point, perhaps because of the shorter blade, not sure. That said, the gradual curve removes that dead spot of the p28 and getting a shot off that doesn’t flub is substantially better (I used to play high level across the pond and fully admit this sometimes still happens to me with a p28! - also where my obsession with trying different curves started. Loved it when reps came with all their different sticks and curves to try!). Plus puck control is better, again possibly because of the shorter blade. Passing is almost the same but sauce is easier with the Sher-Wood p28 Fisher like curve. Trade offs right?

What do you guys think? Would love to hear from some Pasts/Kuch or Fisher users? Thoughts on the Sher-Wood Fisher p28 vs Bauer p28 analysis?

I believe I read it on this forum in the past ..... Kucherov is slightly closed, Pasta is slightly more open curve, BUT they both are VERY similar to the P28.    I like the Kucherov pattern, the shorter blade length & the blade shape (beveled bottom toe) .... I was coming from a P92, a P88 yrs before that, PM9 many yrs previous to that.   This over over 20 yrs mind you, I love the P28 now, so easy to use for myself.  You have to adapt & trying new things often takes time.  I use to be 70 flex, but go with 77 now.     I've not seen a Pasta curve in person.  Again, likely VERY similar to the P28.  

(my current sticks) - 2NPROXL build 👍🏽 ..... dressed as a SYNC (college pro stock), tactile grip, the blade has the KUCH stamped from the mold itself ......$200 after ship/tax.    I assume most people on this forum "know" that ya pay the $100 extra for a retail stick (warranty).    Pro teams do not pay retail prices, 2 yrs ago an NHL EQ man  told me they pay $200 for sticks, no team gets a "deal"  over another team.  (This NHL team sells off old inventory to PSH)  ..... $100 per stick, this makes it easy for the EQ man to unload extra inventory (and they have a lot of extra inventory at seasons end).   The "pro stock" stick market has taken off the past ten (?) years.  

Edited by Tony9

On 4/12/2024 at 10:08 PM, Sniper9 said:

P28 was never associated to Hall. As far as I can recall hall was p92 (at the time E3)

The Hall (E3) was much closer to the real Sakic, maybe even exact. Which most people believe is the P92 but it's not. The OG Sakic was a more a straight up mid curve with a slightly open face and a lie in the 5's. The rocker was flatter than the 92 as well.

I assume this was simply an evolution or an effort to combine multiple similar patterns into one. The closest thing I found to a real Sakic was the P19 Nugent-Hopkins. Very similar just not as deep. Even that pattern changed at some point.

Edited by stick9

19 hours ago, stick9 said:

The Hall (E3) was much closer to the real Sakic, maybe even exact. Which most people believe is the P92 but it's not. The OG Sakic was a more a straight up mid curve with a slightly open face and a lie in the 5's. The rocker was flatter than the 92 as well.

I assume this was simply an evolution or an effort to combine multiple similar patterns into one. The closest thing I found to a real Sakic was the P19 Nugent-Hopkins. Very similar just not as deep. Even that pattern changed at some point.

What do you mean by “the real Sakic?”

54 minutes ago, flip12 said:

What do you mean by “the real Sakic?”

Good question. I don't mean his pro-stock pattern. I guess, it would be the original retail offering. The one that also jived with Warriors Drury. So probably right around the time Innovative became Warrior, or there abouts.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Good question. I don't mean his pro-stock pattern. I guess, it would be the original retail offering. The one that also jived with Warriors Drury. So probably right around the time Innovative became Warrior, or there abouts.

Gotcha. I thought that's what you meant, but just wanted to be sure. His pro pattern looks amazing. I know @decoy is a huge fan of it.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 1:58 PM, stick9 said:

Yes you're right. The og sakic isn't made anymore and the p92 was the "backstrom" that was slightly modified version of the sakic. I totally forgot about the evolutionary changes to the curve.  I rmbr when I went to base hockey during that time and cliff ronning was telling me about the p92 they just got that was a newer sakic. After that visit I went out and got a p92 totalone lol. 

With that said, the p92 versions across all brands are slightly different as well. You can tell not only just by looking at it but also how the tape lays on the blade when taping.

Back on the topic of the p28, I prefer Bauer and trues p28 over ccm, but I use ccm bc their sticks feel better for me. Well true feels good but they're as durable as toothpicks. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1