Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accord

Ed Jovanovski plays in my beer league!

I had a game tonight and I showed up about an hour earlier than I usually show up so I got to watch the guys in the 'A League' play. There was one guy who was just spectacular and on a whole other level than everyone else, I didn't recognize him or think much of it until one of my teammates goes "isn't Ed Jovanovski awesome?" and then it hit me... ED JOVANOVSKI PLAYS IN MY LEAGUE!!! A real NHL player, let alone a guy that I grew up watching plays in my league. Some guys are over in Europe, some guys are in the AHL, some guys are up in Canada... but Ed Jovanovski is playing in the same league as me right here in South Florida of all places, must still have a house here from his days with the Panthers. The league i'm in has a 3 goal rule where a single player can only score 3 goals and after you score 3 any others don't count to prevent scores of like 15-2, needless to say Eddy had his 3 goals early in the first period. If any of you live down here in Florida, he plays in the A League at Glacier Ice Arena if you want to go see him play... and the best part was I didn't have to pay 75 bucks for a seat :lol:.

Also, Denis Potvin and Pierre Racicot (NHL Ref) plays in the same league as well.

I know he's a good all around player, but what Eddy skills impress you the most?

That almost sounds a little insulting, Kovy. Although I don't think you mean it to be. You place pretty much any NHL'er next to any men league players or what not and the difference is huge. Everything with an NHL player (expecially a guy like Ed JO) is done consistently and quickly. In most cases I would expect it would be a piece of cake to pick one out from a game.

Yeah, that's not what I mean.

I mean, just looking at him like if he was alone on the ice, what skills have impress you the most? e.g. : (shooting, skating)

e.g. : Like when I saw Kovalev last year, I was really really impress by his hands and by his agility, although he got good skills in almost every thing.

I wish you understand my example...it's sometimes hard for me to explain properly my topic...

His overall ability in every category was just amazing. His puck handling, skating, everything. All of his goals he just totally fooled the goalie and roofed the puck, he had 3 goals on 3 shots so I didn't really get to see him take any slappers or anything. Everything he did was so effortless, he was getting triple teamed the whole game and nobody could touch him. After he got 3 goals within like 5 minutes into the first period, he was setting up his teammates the rest of the entire game with very little effort because the other team was focused completely on him. He also played the whole game without sitting on the bench once.

He doesn't backcheck though :lol:.

When you see an NHL game on TV or in person it's one thing because you pretty much expect to see top notch hockey where guys can pull off any move they want with very little effort, but when you see an NHL player playing against regular guys in an adult league, you can really appreciate their ability.

BTW, in my game, we lost 6-10, lol.

Does it mean you will play against Eddy in the upcoming week. If yes, that will be awesome, but don't block one of his slapshot on the chest. ;) lol...

Does it mean you will play against Eddy in the upcoming week. If yes, that will be awesome, but don't block one of his slapshot on the chest. ;) lol...

Why that? </sarcasm> :angry: :P B)

In whitby, I saw Adam Foote playing in a beer league. I watched him after my game. He was using the canadian stealth.

no NHL'ers play in any local leagues around here (as far as i know anyways), but last season, out of 10 or 12 islander games i went to, i had the chance to sit first row, right on the glass for one of them (usually up in the nosebleeds). I showed up extra early to catch warmups and everything. I was completely blown away. Down on the glass you really get to see just how good everyone is...especially the quick hands.

I DID get a chance to play baseball against a retired major league pitcher. Pitched in the bigs for like 12 yrs as a set up man. He was never a big name in the bigs, but it's clear pro athletes are on a completely different level than even the best of us

Eric Lacriox (sp?) son of Piere Lacriox (gm of the Avalanche) played in the same leage as me last season. I never did play against him though, i was sort of looking forward to it. He REALLY let himself go though. Must have gainded at least 25 pounds.

A great quote I read one time.. Supposedly some beer-league level folks were on the ice with some of the players from Dallas.. Modano, Guerin, Hull, etc..

The guy said "It's amazing. Their passes are harder than our slapshots.."

I played against Jim Sandlak a couple of times after he retired. I tried to pin him to the boards in the corner - couldn't budge him. After the puck left our end he just gave me a wink and a knock on the pads with his stick. Great attitude; he had nothing to prove.

The thing I noticed most was his anticipation and closing speed. You think you have an opening to get by and he's suddenly right there slamming the door shut.

He never took a slapshot, mostly because he didn't need to. The wrist shots he took were coming out of the net before the goalies were moving for them. His passes flew off most of his teammates sticks. I think he had to 'dumb it down' a bit for them, as he would have to for me too, I suspect.

Nice to see how a better player in rec hockey stacks up against a pro player just out having fun.

A great quote I read one time.. Supposedly some beer-league level folks were on the ice with some of the players from Dallas.. Modano, Guerin, Hull, etc..

The guy said "It's amazing. Their passes are harder than our slapshots.."

LMAO, that is so true!

I think I play his team in 3 weeks (we only play 1 game a week in my beer league).

Had a guy named Todd Elik playing in my rec hockey league. Not a big name NHL player but he did have a 66 pt season in San Jose i believe.

Anyways this guy was amazing. Would just take the puck end to end effortlessly. Very impressive to watch. I was mostly impressed by his fast smooth skating and how he used his body to gaurd the puck, it was impossible to get to that puck when he had it. I wondered what Todd Elik got from playing at such a low level though; We were like pylons to the guy.

His team was first place with for half the season but Elik is playing hockey in europe now so the team is slowly dropping :)

My uncle played with Shane Doan at Calgary in a drop in shinny and said his slapshot was the fastest hes ever seen up close. Oh yeah, and my brother played with Ference ( dont remember his name, the one on Calgary) at a drop in shinny, and the kolanos brothers at another one.

My uncle played with Shane Doan at Calgary in a drop in shinny and said his slapshot was the fastest hes ever seen up close. Oh yeah, and my brother played with Ference ( dont remember his name, the one on Calgary) at a drop in shinny, and the kolanos brothers at another one.

I heard Ference was coaching a Tier II team out west.

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
Had a guy named Todd Elik playing in my rec hockey league. Not a big name NHL player but he did have a 66 pt season in San Jose i believe.

Anyways this guy was amazing. Would just take the puck end to end effortlessly. Very impressive to watch. I was mostly impressed by his fast smooth skating and how he used his body to gaurd the puck, it was impossible to get to that puck when he had it. I wondered what Todd Elik got from playing at such a low level though; We were like pylons to the guy.

His team was first place with for half the season but Elik is playing hockey in europe now so the team is slowly dropping :)

Todd Elik is an absolute hero in Europe. I believe he is playing in Switzerland.

I saw an All-Star game for a beer league here in Montreal and they had a slapshot competition. I think the winner got around 76 mph on what looked like a decent slapshot. Compare that to what I saw in a feature about one-piece sticks where they had an average NHLer (Mike Fisher) shooting wristers at 72 mph. Why would an NHLer use a slapshot when their wrister is as hard as our slapshots?

I heard Ference was coaching a Tier II team out west.

Andrew Ference of the Calgary Flames is a special coach of the Canmore Eagles in the Alberta Junior Hockey League.

On a side note, it turns out that one of the players on my rec league team is Brad Ference's (Phoenix Coyotes) roommate.

In my town, all we have is one mixed skill league, so I play with guys that are way, way above my level. One guy really stands out. He got invited to training camp for the Canucks. I went out to block one of his slapshots. Bad idea. I took it square in the shinpad - exactly where you're supposed to.. I still hobbled off the ice and had a huge welt for a couple of days..

We have another guy that put up an 80pt. season in the Q back in 82-83 and went on to bounce around the minors & Europe. He mostly sits back & passes which is pretty cool..