Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

NCRHA Championships

I'm hoping my boys from Lindenwood U pull it off. I play with/against a bunch of them here in house leagues and local tournaments. They definitely have a....."unique" system.....

I thought the final was played last night vs Penn State?

I was pulling for Cal Poly Pomona, one of there former players was on my Roller hockey team over here, and played in the same team as Tom Wiebe at winternats.. that guy is one awesome sniper!

sh67- i've never seen Lindenwood play, what is so unique?

sh67- i've never seen Lindenwood play, what is so unique?

Not necessarily their style, but the fact that Lindenwood was one of, if not the only college, to offer "grants" which are used to subsidize tuition and or living expenses for their players on their inline squad. As a result the Lindenwood squad had quite a number of nationally recognized junior players which they were able to recruit.

There has been significant discussion and rebuttal of this whole scenario last year in IHC, when a creation of what was called "the premier league" almost destroyed the fabric of the CRHL, and in part caused the creation of the NCRHA. I am sure the fallout from all this is still being felt around the country.

Essentially only one team offered any significant form of subsidy (not called a scholarship at the time) to their inline hockey players, and as a result, their successfull recruiting netted a very powerfull college team against which few other colleges could compete. A new league was created within the CRHL as a sort of "elite league", and I believe part of the reasoning was to show what some sort of scholarship program could do for collegiate inline hockey. The hope was that down the road, a more widespread system of bursaries, for lack of a better word, would be available to students playing inline hockey at the collegiate level, and possibly push acceptance of the sport as an NCAA qualified venue.

My take on the whole thing, was that the organizers of the Premier League hoped to get across the message that, if you want to compete at the elite level, you will have to offer a subsidy to the players...hoping that the desire to be competitive would force other institutions to offer similar programs to that offered by Lindenwood.

In fact I am not sure if this did not backfire, as I believe the "Premier League" became defunct after one year, the CRHL split into two separate organizations.

Yeah..it was a big crisis at the end of last season..lot's of lobbying and politicing going on between the remaining members of the CRHL and the NCRHA..newly formed as a splinter group. The NCRHA (National Collegiate Roller Hockey association) ended up with more of the regional groups than the original CRHL when this first happened. To be truthfull I have not followed it much since the first few weeks after the break up occurred. The biggest issue seemed to be the Premier League, and the way the organizers of the CRHL seemed to spend so much of their time and effort on this part of the program instead of the program as a whole. There were many other "ethical" and policy issues as well, but the Premier League thing seemed to trigger it all.

I mistakenly called it the NCRHL in my previous post

Looking at the list of teams competing in the NCRHA nationals, is it fair to say the 'better' or more recognisable schools went into this association?

Do any other schools offer any financial aid in whatever guise?

I think the only other scholarships are those offered by TORHS and USA Inline Hockey...which are relatively minor amounts. Nice to get but still a drop in the bucket. I have not followed the ups and downs of this struggle recently...the last active involvement I had in corresponding with some members of ECRHA, was about 8 - 10 months ago. Things may have changed.

It would be fair to say that the majority of the schools at the start of this schism went into the new NCRHA, but this is not to diminish the quality of the schools which at the time remained with the old CRHL organization. I think the core group of the original Premier League, may have remained with CRHL at the time..but as I see some were competing at the recent National Tournament I have to assume there may have been some reconcilliation.

There is no longer no such thing as the CRHL, it has disbanned. I was in the premeir league last season and it was a joke. And whoever said Lindenwood has a unique style of play is correct. Did you happen to see the Championship game between Lindenwood and MSU last year? Worst game in roller hockey, EVER!

I think that the last game was certainly unique, although I did not hear the same complaints voiced about Lindenwood in their other games. I certainly followed the aftermath of that game although I did not actually see the game itself.

There was a rule change that was discussed specifically as a result of that game....do you know if it was ever instituted for collegiate hockey...I have not seen it in the USA Inline general rules.

For those not familiar with what happened, basically Lindenwood who went essentially undefeated during the season, played Michigan in the National finals in 2003. With I think a two goal lead LU would take the puck behind the net, and wait until a Michigan forward would come behind the net to challenge them before moving the puck....Michigan declined to do this, so there were extended periods of inactivity with a forechecker parked in front of the net, and the puck holder parked behind the net....there was a great deal of hue and cry from fans and opposing players about this "unique" style of play.

Unfortunately that is a style of play used to a great extent by some of the very successfull Narch Platinum teams...in particular the Pro teams. Drawing the attacking forechecker behind the net to create an oddman situation and a "quick strike" offence, has been established as a very successfull system. It is based on the assumption that the man behind the net will beat the forechecker every time.

Yeah i remeber seeing the Bauer Hyper cyclones use that a lot, such a boring tactic to utilise, but if your winning the best way to defend is to keep the puck i suppose.... zzzzzz

There's a bit of poor sportsmanship in a tactic like that. It's definitely taking full advantage of the 4 on 4 situation. I can't imagine how they could come up with a rule to prevent it either.

I'm not sure i'd go so far to say its bad sportsmanship. It's a defensive tactic and the other team has every right to go in after it, it was fun to watch Bobby Orr rag the puck around the goal under pursuit. Sure it is ultimately VERy defensive, but bad sportsmanship... not sure. :unsure:

When the team without possesion refuses to go after it, or the carrying team continues to do it, it is very tedious. I don't see a rule stipulating that teams can't wait behind the net, maybe just that the puck has to be in motion.. but the puck carrier could just as well stand on the spot ond stickhandle a little...

On ice it's not as hard to defend, but you have to be aggressive and not give them time to set it up properly. A quick inline conversion of the counter - play.

First man goes in from the forehand side and turns the player to his backhand, driving him from behind the net. Second man prevents him from walking out with the puck. The other two guys read the play and watch for the turnover.

You will get beat a few times on it, but you should be able to cause a couple of turnovers down low and hopefully your goalie will bail you out when you get burned. I know refs that will blow the play dead in that situation and have a faceoff if the player refuses to advance the puck and I think that's what needs to happen in that case. It may require a change in the wording for delay of game though.

I know over on IHC we wrestled with the possible wording on posts for a few weaks after this happened. In the case of LU vs Michigan however, I guess it was ultimately defensive, but as I heard it, it was really Michigan's fear that the particular puckhandler in question could beat both forecheckers, and that caused them to hesitate to force him.

Makes it much easier when you can bodycheck the guy. It's a shame when winning becomes so important that you screw up the sport for others.

I've never played against LU...

But do they basically just pad a lead and do this non-breakout for the rest of the game?

i think they only do it for real important games. Im not sure though, MDE would probably know more.

The tactic in and of itself attempts to negate the opportunity for competition solely by wasting time. It's obviously not the same as cherry picking in a 10-1 game but still, to me there is a little bit of sportsmanship lacking in that style of play regardless of the situation.

Like I said earlier, I played for Purdue in the Premier League, or maybe I didn't mention that I played for Purdue, anyway.......Lindenwood never did it against us because we couldn't find a way to beat their other system that they had, so they just ran it up each time. However, MSU's brilliant Coach, Rejan Tremblay, figured out how to beat them and in the game they played each other before the finals, MSU was actually in the lead for a bit, then LU got a 1 or 2 goal lead, and started the sitting. Everyonce in a while the guy behind the net would skate up to where the blue line would be, then just turn around and go back.

If you ask me, this is a terrible way to play the game. If you have the talent to beat people, like they did, why ruin it for the other team and the fans watching. And not only did they pull these ridiculous game tactics, but their coach provoked his players to fight other teams and admitted doing so to the league and other coach's, which in my opinion is wrong unless there was a flagrant penalty, which there never was, because they were the dirty ones.

If you couldn't tell, I have some beef with these guys. However, I think every player on that team has tremendous talent and should not be subjected to that type of play. I even think at one time that Captain Dave Kozlowski got benched because he refused to sit behind the net, so some of the players did not agree with the style, I wouldn't, thats for sure!

Kurt Wampach