Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tricky4L

Detailed Hockey Diet

I wanna know if anyone has any specific diets that I could use to lose weight and get into game shape for tryouts in late July. A lot of people have told me to eat every couple hours or something of the sort but I need to know what to eat...like specific things and how much of whatever to eat.

Thanks in advance.

It is a good thing to have something small to eat after a hockey session. Research has shown that the body absorbs carbohydrates better within the first 30-60 minutes after playing. Now fast foods aren't really the recommended type of Post Hockey Snack. Nutritionists recommend foods that contain high -glycemic carbohydrates as this speeds up and helps maximise refueling. For examples of good post hockey snacks please refer to the list below

Bananas

Raisins

Bread

Bagel

Fruit and Veges

Pretzels

Juice - diluted as pure juice is too strong and decreases absorption rate.

It is recommended that a Post Game Meal be eaten about 1-2 hours after the game however in most cases it is not practical to do this as the games finish late. This makes the Post Game Snack even more important.

Maybe that helps.

have several small meals of meat, veggies, and carbs...(rice, fish, salad)...and after games and ice sessions, it's best if you could get a protein shake and banana in you, to help replentish everything you used up, and the sooner you get it in, the better. jogging and biking are great ways to get in shape and shed lb's too

A lot depends on what body type you have. If you have too much body fat, you need a high protein diet with lots of weightlifting and aerobics, to build muscle and eliminate the fat. Since a body does not absorb protein well, you have to eat it in small amounts during the day, like 5-7 small meals a day. Carbs to protein should be around 2-1 (yeah, that means cut out the pasta, ice cream, breads, etc, and use your carbs for fruits and vegies).

If you are small and need to put on the pounds, you do it entirely differently. You need a mix of cabs and protein in the diet, and just need to eat a lot! You still want to weight lift, but cut much of the aerobics out as the aerobics interfers with building muscle. Eat before weight lifting, lift, then eat again right after weight lifting. Carbs to protein should be in the 3-1 or 4-1 range. If you are putting on too much fat and not enough muscle, lower the carbs.

The first step is to go to a health club and get your % body fat tested. Elite hockey players are in the 6-10% body fat range. Then plan accordingly.

Hey, ask around. Any good trainer will tell you that aerobics should be greatly reduced during summer training if you are trying to gain muscle mass. There is plenty of time for aerobics 2 weeks before the season starts.

Notice I did NOT say to cut out fastness training, like sprinting uphill for 15 seconds, plyometrics, etc., which make sure you develop both fast and slow twitch muscles. But running, biking, etc is counterproductive to weight training IF you are trying to gain muscle mass.

Hey, ask around.  Any good trainer will tell you that aerobics should be greatly reduced during summer training if you are trying to gain muscle mass.  There is plenty of time for aerobics 2 weeks before the season starts.

Notice I did NOT say to cut out fastness training, like sprinting uphill for 15 seconds, plyometrics, etc., which make sure you develop both fast and slow twitch muscles.  But running, biking, etc is counterproductive to weight training IF you are trying to gain muscle mass.

I can't agree with you on that BIFF, even though I know you know a lot on training.

How good is a training if you gain 15 pounds, but you lose cardio, speed and agility.

I'd say a balance of everything is the best. I've seen too much guys take a lot of pounds and losing agility.

What I mean in my post is that you should not focus your program just on gaining weight. You have to set other goal, like develop hockey technique, strenght, power, agility, aerobic and anaerobic endurance. Too many guys start their training and they are just focussingaining weight for the next training camp. Hey, training is suppose to be fun,

By the way, my summer training program is now ready, I start it next week.

http://www.athletesperformance.com/

http://store.athletesperformance.com/view_....php?category=7

I'd suggest getting the book Core Performance from your local library.

It has a nice workout routine and diet information in there.

Another book you might want to look at would be Functional Training For Sports by Mike Boyle. He is the former strength coach both for BU's hockey team and the Bruins. He now works at the Athlete's Performance facility at the Home Depot Center in LA.

I haven't read that book as of yet, but I do want to pick it up because I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Boyle. Especially amongst BU alums that played there when Boyle was the strength coach such as Chris Drury and Mike Grier.

Hey, ask around. Any good trainer will tell you that aerobics should be greatly reduced during summer training if you are trying to gain muscle mass. There is plenty of time for aerobics 2 weeks before the season starts.

I was under the impression that you meant cut aerobics long term. Not just for a month or 2. Either way aerobics are essential for hockey, which we both agree on. Going into training camp w/o doing any aerobics during the summer would not be pretty as ones endurance would be shot amoug other things.

To have strength is much more important then having a big body though.

preparing for tryouts is not the time to cut the aerobic part of your workout.

Lets be specific. My kid, 1 year ago, went to a trainer and wanted to "get better" during the summer. This guy also trains NHL players, so he knows what he was talking about. The first thing he did was to measure the body fat. It turned out he had 16% body fat, so he put him on a diet that was high in protein and lower in carbs. He put him on some vitamins, mineral supplements, and fish oil tablets--all to help to gain muscle mass. He then went thru a 1/2 summer of building foundational strength (squats,etc). The second 1/2 of the summer was more functional--again mostly lifting but with outdoors pulling a sled, etc. He gained over 20 pounds of muscle mass and was much more agile and faster on the ice in the fall. We did not measure the % body fat, but it is clearly less as you can see the veins in his arms poping out. He was able to maintain that muscle mass all hockey season long.

He was discouraged from doing aerobics during the entire summer. The one thing he was allowed, but not encouraged, to do was a sprint walk, where you sprint for 15 seconds and walk the rest of the way around the track. This trainer, and numerous other web sites I have read since then, say there is clear evidence that too much aerobic exercise will stunt the growth of new muscle. The aerobics causes your body to secrete a hormone that tends to break down the muscles, while weight lifting secretes the opposite hormone to build the muscles.

biff is definately right on this one. even guys int he show dont do cardio until 2-3 weeks before training camp. if you do aerobic for one month before training camp, then you can easily be in shape. After the season is over, take off 2 weeks from lifting, then work your way back in no cardio, and if you do do cardio, like 15 minutes slow on the bike as a cool down.

you do not want to dehydrate your muscles after the workout now. build a core and foundation up and then go heavy,a nd then 3-4 weeks before trining camp, cardio 2-3 times a week.

btw, drop in hockey doesnt count as cardio, as you might think it, but no one ever plays liek in a real game

you do not want to dehydrate your muscles after the workout now. build a core and foundation up and then go heavy,a nd then 3-4 weeks before trining camp, cardio 2-3 times a week.

btw, drop in hockey doesnt count as cardio, as you might think it, but no one ever plays liek in a real game

Starting cardio 3-4 weeks prior to tryouts in July would mean about 6 weeks off. That's not so bad.

There's also a difference in what he asked and what he's being told. Losing weight and getting in game shape usually has more to do with conditioning than weight training. Bigger isn't always the answer.

I think one of the key things here to remember when talking about younger players and those in the "show" is that many of those at the highest level never get too far out of shape during the year, Hullie and some others notwithstanding,

the problem with a lot of youth players is after the season they do nada and get out of shape then have to get "in" shape again..

if you're doing cardio during the season, and the top players do..look at the number who ride the bike prior and after games, etc..then a few weeks off on the cardio after the season is necessary for rebuilding, healing and formulating a new plan..

many of the top players will do some basic maintenence stuff, ie..20-30 min 3x a week for cardio so they don't lose a lot of it..yes VO2 max can be regained in time, but it decreases quickly...you'll see people do things like swim, hike, cycle.etc.. for some cross training..

there are people in each camp..some like Brad Marsh, he used to do triathlons over the summer to stay in shape..but he also drove a 25 year old pickup truck as well as took the train to home games and had his wife pick him up afterwards...and others follow the steps outlined in previous posts..

as for food, i'm not a big fan of its taste,etc..but salmon is awesome for recovery and nutrition...

Yeah, I hate those fish oil capsules. You burp up sardine breath all afternoon. But they say they are excellent for losing fat, lubricating the joints, and repairing muscle damage! Good fatty salmon steaks, barbequed on a cedar plank, ummmm!

Yea I shoulda made my situation a lil more clear but I appreciate the feedback nonetheless. I'm 18, 5'4'' 189ish. I have a really good muscle base but after highschool the freshman 15 bit me in the ass, along with another 10-15 extra. So I'm looking to drop anywhere from 20-25lbs, without trying to majorly bulk because I feel I have a pretty good foundation to start out with.

Thanks again guys.

as for food, i'm not a big fan of its taste,etc..but salmon is awesome for recovery and nutrition...

Wash it in lemon juice and most of the "fishy" taste is gone. Broil with a little lemon and butter and it's damn good. I was eating a lot of fish and chicken before I opened the shop. Now it's hard to have a meal without bread wrapped around it.

I'll try that with the salmon!

The thing that is good about building muscles is that your metabolism goes up with more muscle mass. That means you can eat more and not pack on the fat.

Since you are starting off with a good weight, maybe even a little too high for the height, all you have to do is convert the fat to muscle. Lots of exercise and cut out the junk (ice cream, pies, cakes, candy, soda, juice, etc) and you will be most of the way there in a few months.)

It is tough, but it is up to you. In hockey tryouts, so much of it is beyond your control. But showing up in-shape is entirely under your own control! Go for it to increase your odds.

Guys, I think most of you skimmed over the first post a bit: he said he wants to LOSE some weight and get in shape for tryouts. First off, get in shape means different things to different fitness levels, body fat percentages, and sports.

To lose weight: Breakfast should be your biggest meal while your last meal should be your smallest. Eat 5-7 times a day, smaller meals so the calorie count is the same. Eat as little processed foods as you can, and in general, except pre and post workout, eat low glycemic carbohydrates (oats, oatmeal, wheat bread, vegetables...). Eat more pure protein than you normally do, and elevate the protein content in your diet relative to fats and carbs. Eat healthy fats, like Omega 3, 6, and 9 (fish oil tablets and flax seeds are good). Workout earlier in the day if possible. Do more intense, shorter workouts to burn more fat and condition yourself: hill sprints, gassers, any type of sprinting exercise in general. For upper body: do bodyweight exercises to work yourself but not to damage the muscles like lifting weights does, where you will go catabolic on a fat loss diet: pullups, chinups, hanging leg raises, 1 leg squats, pushups, dips, and any and every type of ab exercise. Minimize drinking and smoking and sleep well.

Supplementing: a multivitamin is a must and should be a given. Fish oil tablets or flax seed meal/oil will greatly help fat loss, and improve brain function. Whey protein is another given that shouldn't offend anybody's issues with supps (Theo...). Glutamine or glutamine peptides (peptides are better but generally taste worse) will help recovery and minimize catabolism during fat loss programs. I would stay away from creatine during fat loss programs since it has been shown to decrease fat loss, through mechanisms too complex to try to explain.

Motivation: Remember, there's always somebody training to beat you when you're resting or eating KFC

and any and every type of ab exercise.

Any suggestions without access to a gym or equipment? Sit-ups have killed my back in the past but I can't promise that I do them correctly either.

I'm not overweight at all (5'10", 165), but have always had the lovehandles going. Now I'd like them to get going away.

if you have a pullup bar or a doorjam that you can hang from, hanging leg raises are one of the best ab exercises. Hang from the doorjam, then slowlyraise your straigthtened legs up and try to get them vertical, wiuthout swinging your body to make it easier. Also try lateral and frontal bridges: suspend yourself facing either the floor or the side while on the grtound by continuously flexing your abs. Try crunches too, since the particular type of lower back flexion in situps has caused a lot of people back problems. More later

You are going to need some gear. I think you can do a fairly respectable (but minimal) job with around $140 US worth of gear. You will need some sort of weights, and the cheapest way to go is a set of adjustable dumbells (two handles, and a bunch of small weight plates, with maybe two extra 25 pound plates). With these you can obviously work your upperbody pretty well. But you can use them for lower body too, to add weight to squats, single leg squats, hockey lunges, etc. Go with slow lifting movements (both up and down), so you can get the same benefit without the expense of having to have heavy plates.

Another must have is a medicine ball. I like the ruber ones, since you can throw them to yourself by bouncing them off a concrete wall. There are all sorts of throwing, twisting, extending moves that you can do to build up your core and explosiveness.

Finally, a "burstproof" exercise ball is usefull. You can do all sorts of balancing exercises sitting or laying on the ball. Big guys would want a 33" one, but you are fairly short and may prefer a 25" one. You sit on the thing and try to lift the dumbells. Since your body keeps falling off, you need to use all the muscles in your core to do the exercise, thereby exercising your whole body at once--a good way to lose weight.

There are plenty of sites on the internet that will show you 20 times the number of exercises that you can fit into the next 3 months! Just keep track of what you are doing, and after you can do 10 lifts of an exercise at a certain weight, that is time to up the weight.

Other options. Is there a YMCA around? They have fairly cheap student rates and usually have a good weight room. Training with a buddy also helps to keep things on track, and you will probably find friends from school there!

The best exercises are done with a barbell. These include squats, power cleans, bentover rowing, deadlifts. You can do these with dumbbells too, but it is hard to get as much benefit as with the barbells. The problem is that it is too dangerous to use a barbell alone in your home, and you probably need the barbell and weights ($120) and a good squat power cage ($450 to keep you from hurting yourself and allow plates to be put on) to use them properly, so it is probably out of your price range. Like I said, you can do a lot with just the dumbells. Dumbells are fairly safe, unless you drop one on your foot! Just do not try to do any new exercise with too much weight. Start off light, and if you can do 10 reps at that weight, you can go higher. If you can only do 3 reps, it is way too heavy.

Since you are trying to convert that body fat to muscle, you are going to have to burn some of it off with aerobics. Running is a good one. Biking is free. Hiking, expecially up and down mountains, is great.

Lucky for me, I've had alot of practice with the search button and was able to find this topic.

Basically, I need help. I am in poor shape, Diet is pretty good, but working shifts has killed my excercise routines. I played in-line up until about 4-6 weeks ago and have been running on and off. Last night while looking for a mens league, I was give then oppurtunity to try-out for a few junior teams. I am choosing one of the lower teams, because it fits in with my schedule alot better, but its still not terrible hockey. Now, they tryouts are in 4 weeks, I have the skills (honestly, not trying to be a dick), but I'd love to drop some extra weight, up the conditioning and strength. I need alot of help though. My diet is and will continue to be in order, but I am a little lost on what I should do. I need to keep my energy late into the try-out/camp, which is a problem, considering I haven't played a game on ice in almost 16 months, and a competetive game for about 26. I was a high level ice hockey player, and I am about 20 lbs over my ideal playing weight (I'm also 3 years older too), but realize I will not drop all of this weight in time. What are some excercise I should look into?

Should I be sprinting, going for long runs, or both? If both, what schedule per week?