Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UMWhockey

right handers plaing left handed

When i started playing hockey a while back, someone tried to get me to play left handed, they said it would make my backhand better. Does anyone here play different then how they write and what are the reasons behind switching.

Back in the day, that is the way everyone played (writing hand on the butt). Nowadays it seems like everyone shoots right. I personally like the oldschool way, but if you do it backwards, it is probably too late to change.

They say for parents of young players, that you should get a flat stick with no blade curve, and have the kid figure out which way is more natural.

I'm right handed. I've gotten to where I can play both ways, but do so differently...originally I started with right handed curves about 5 years ago and now am using left handed curves. I've only been using leftys for about a year or so.

My situation is this:

With RH blades, I have a much better and more controlled shot, but my stickhandling is inferior to when I play LH. It seems as though it just doesn't get any better no matter how much I work at it. I seem to play more like a Brett Hull style of game right handed. I don't carry the puck much, so I set up for quick forehand shots. When I play D, I'm more offensive oriented because of the shot. Backhanders are weaker for me RH than LH.

With LH blades, My stickhandling, passing and puck maneuvering are far superior to when I play righty (and keeps improving with practice), but my forehand shots are not as strong or as controlled. Toe drags, push-outs, pull-ins, tight forehand and backhand turning, back-to-front between the legs, bank of inside of skate...all tools in my arsenal now. I have difficulty with some of these when playing RH. Now I spend a lot of time working on my shooting techniques hoping that they'll catch up with my stickhandling. I'm still getting the feel, but its coming along well. I have a much more lethal backhand shooting abiliity LH than RH, but I conciously neglect working on it too much because it feels so natural. I play more of a Joe Sakic style of game (without the goal scoring and shooting prowess). When I play defense LH, I'm more of a puck-moving, playmaking Dman. I don't shoot much from the point as my slapper is pretty weak still.

Passing and receiving are equal both ways, but if I ever get my LH shooting up to par with my RH shooting, I'll never play RH again.

It mostly has to do with the age at which you start carrying a stick. The younger you start, the more likely you will have your dominant hand at the top of the stick.

i played in a high school tourney and one the lines one my team went and switched sticks to there opposite hand. they played like this for a few shifts until they got a goal. it was pretty funny to watch.

I like trying to switch hands. it takes a while but after a few times it gets better. im a right handed shot but my left hand is comming along. ;)

And why is that? I'm just curious. Like people said, those who start out young go with dominant hand on top - those starting out later start with it the other way. I mean, just look at the NHL...

And why is that? I'm just curious. Like people said, those who start out young go with dominant hand on top - those starting out later start with it the other way. I mean, just look at the NHL...

strenght and agility comes from your better hand, by it being in the middle, you have more control... the better passers and precise shooters are that way...

The better passers and precise shooters being the guys in the nhl being the guys who predominantly started with their dominant hand on top? Meh.

I play lefty and write handed, but the only reason for that is the first stick I ever got was left handed and I didn't know any better.

I think it has more to do with your dominate skateing leg. Most people tend to shoot off their off foot in close situations and you can put more power into that shot if you are on your dominate leg. Also I think it would make shifty mooves easier. Eh, I could be totally wrong but I know thats my problem when I play lefty, can't shoot cause I get no power.

I think it has more to do with your dominate skateing leg. Most people tend to shoot off their off foot in close situations and you can put more power into that shot if you are on your dominate leg. Also I think it would make shifty mooves easier. Eh, I could be totally wrong but I know thats my problem when I play lefty, can't shoot cause I get no power.

You are.

Trust me, folks. There was a study done where they found a link between how old one starts using a hockey stick while skating and where the dominant hand is on the stick.