Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heybrady

Modano's Old School Tacks

So I am watching Pens/Wings tonight and notice Modano wearing what looks to be the Tacks skates from the late 90's, judging by the heel graphics.

Apologize if this is old news, but it caught me off guard. I just did a google image search and saw him wearing the same skates in a Dallas uni. Did he just stock up on those skates when they came out with a new model, or are they a new model dressed up as old?

Mike-Modano-Detroit-Red-Wings.jpg

It might've changed, but last I heard (and this was a couple of years ago), that guys who wore those boots (Modano/Chelios et al) were grandfathered in and they were still making them for just them. As a side note, they were able to get Kovalev into a Reebok boot because they were able to get it to his specs stiffness-wise; his old Tacks were really overbuilt.

It might've changed, but last I heard (and this was a couple of years ago), that guys who wore those boots (Modano/Chelios et al) were grandfathered in and they were still making them for just them. As a side note, they were able to get Kovalev into a Reebok boot because they were able to get it to his specs stiffness-wise; his old Tacks were really overbuilt.

Is Kovalev that hard on his skates? You'd think a guy like Kovalev from the old USSR school of skating would prefer a low cut, softer boot. Everyone's different I guess.

Are Modano's old skates based on the 652 Tacks?

He's also tried a couple others over the years. Wore a pair of earlier Vectors in an all star game once.

3008139.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDE51952F89D2BAA1D731EFE291F83868FF91C034A5EE44079E30A760B0D811297

I'm not surprised it is a 652 boot, but moreso that CCM hasn't tried to repaint them to look like a somewhat newer model.

Wouldnt that be a bit hard to do given the construction of the boot??

I'm not surprised it is a 652 boot, but moreso that CCM hasn't tried to repaint them to look like a somewhat newer model.

When you get to a level like that, you become synonymous with a certain image.

gretzccm.jpg

Does that say "Wayne Gretzky" to you?

Someone ought to put up a collage of players and skates they wore back in the day.

Gretzky and Lemeiux both wore Daoust early on in their careers.

It was the only picture I could find.

It wasn't even a HT2 from what I can remember - it has been 15 years. I believe it was a HT1, it had molded ear guards.

Lemieux was actually a Micron Mega 10-90 guy for the early part of his career.

He was, but he also was a Daoust guy early on

LemieuxFaceoffJacko.jpg

LOVED hearing Janson tell the story behind this one off helmet. Classic!

Whats the story behind it? Sorry Im out of the loop

Interesting..what was rigged up about it? Why did he wear it instead of his trademark Jofa?

Endorsement that didn't last long.

He also wore Tacks with the lace part of the white heel wedge clipped off. They made a Gretzky line at retail (low-end skate) that had the modified heel wedge.

I think, beyond what Mario, Mike or any other big NHL star is wearing, what is really WORTH mentioning are those Michael Jackson shoes, on the ice!! Super easy to moon-walk, I take... :)