Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

napsy

Old Pro Tacks users, what are you skating in?

After nine years, my CCM Pro Tacks finally gave up the ghost. I took a slap shot point-blank off the toe, which split the cap in three and bruised up my big toe something fierce. The boots were getting pretty worn anyway, so it’s time to bite the bullet and get some new skates.

I really loved those skates – they were a pro stock model (they looked just like these), upgraded from the retail Pro Tacks with composite outsoles, a double tongue, double stitching, and the boots were extra stiff boots . I loved the stiffness, especially since I was coming from a pair of Graf 707s. Nine years in, they were still going strong and not getting floppy, as I took good care of them.

Given that these dated from 2004 or so, what’s currently out there fits similarly? I looked through the forums and Reeboks seemed to come up as being close in fit. Been thinking about Grafs since they seem to be more of a traditional boot, and I’m also interested in the new Tacks although my price limit is $400. The key for me is stiffness and getting good heel lock – I have high arches, narrow heels, and bony ankles, and it’s always been a trick finding skates that feel comfortable in the ankle while keeping my heel in place and not giving me lacebite due to a high volume foot.

In looking at skates over the past few years, it seems like everything is going lightweight and I’m not sure what that means for durability. I care more about a skate lasting several years versus how much it weighs. I’m skating twice a week in beer leagues/drop in and I’d rather not replace these in the next few years due to breakdown.

I’ll head out to a pro shop once the swelling goes down in my toe, but I’m interested to hear from anyone who used to skate in the old Pro Tacks and find out what they’re using these days.

Based on what you're saying, I'd try to find a clearance pair of Reeboks, 20K or 18K. The 400 price point in Reeboks right now is quite soft IMO comparatively to other companies 400 skate. The Graf 7035 would be a stiff skate and weight would be very similar to what you have.

Not sure if it will fit your foot, but the 5052 Tacks are pretty stiff and right around your $400 price point.

Welcome to my struggle. The Pro Tack in C-width was the last retail skate to properly fit my foot.

If you have the budget, perhaps a look at VH Footwear custom or stock skates might work.

As mentioned, a Ribcor or 20K Reebok might work too (but the volume might not be sufficient).

If you can handle the forward pitch and the lower-cut boot, Graf might work in a 735 or 705 fit pattern.

I've had decent luck with all of the above - the best option for me being the VH Footwear custom route.

Try as many skates as you can, keeping in mind that your foot may have changed over time. Get something that feels good, locks your heel and meets your stiffness preferences.

I had a similar pair of skates up until 2 years ago. I made the jump to a low/mid level reebok 12k and the fit has been good. I just added a pair of super feet yellow insoles and now they're even more comfortable.

I was using my CCM 1052's up until about 3 years ago. I finally upgraded to a modern skate and went with a pair of Reebok 11Ks. They worked great for me and wore them until last year when I switched to the Easton Mako. I LOVE those skates but I'd imagine they are not for everyone.

With the 11Ks I used superfeet yellows in them, with my Mako I use CCM low arch footbed.

Went from 1052's in an EE to 8K's in a D, feet never felt so good. 1052's in the EE were not as wide as the RBK's in D, IMO, though granted, the 8K is not near as stiff.

For whatever that's worth....

I wore Pro Tacks about 10 years ago, and my current U+12's are the most comfortable skates I've worn since then. Look for a pair of those or CL's on close out and get the new CCM insoles for your arch type to replace the crap stock insoles.

To update this thread…

I checked out a bunch of skates a few weeks ago and ended up going with a pair of Reebok Ribcor 30Ks. Of everything I tried on, they fit the best right out of the box. I could tell immediately that they were the best match for my foot. I think they’re a hair wider in the forefoot than my Pro Tacks were, but the heel fit and boot volume were great. I got the same size as my old Tacks (7.5D). FWIW, the new Tacks felt too wide all around.

The biggest difference is how light they are compared to my old skates. I feel like the stance isn’t as aggressive as my Tacks, maybe due to the E-Pro blades I had on them. I feel like I can also lean into my turns more aggressively. It will still take some time to get used to them, but I have no foot pain yet and put them through their paces at a drop in this morning.

Thanks everyone for your help, mark me down as another Pro Tacks to Reebok convert.

Funny how some things are, I'm also a pro tack to reebok guy. I got 17Ks and they are the most comfortable skate I've ever worn. Hope you enjoy your new skates.

Lots of tacks users have switched to either Graf or Reeboks. With the Nexus line being added to Bauer's skate run, "FIT" for any type of foot if you want Bauer wheels. The Nexus skates offer a good wide fit overall, much like the tacks and are a nice supportive boot without the stiffness of the Supreme and Vapor Skates.