Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TeamHonda401

KHL Financial Issues

This is what has been really interesting to follow...what I've been reading suggests the oil price will bounce back as soon as OPEC wishes, projected to be sometime in the next quarter or two. For now, they're all too happy to stick it to the new producers who can't break even getting oil from shale, etc., if the price is below $70/barrel. I don't know Western Canadian economics at all, but I'd be surprised if they're as exposed as Russia, where the entire economy is dependent on the oil price, and as soon as that dropped out and the value of the Ruble with it, their international debt skyrocketed...oooh, and I almost forgot: Ukraine. Russia's even more exposed since they're cut off from international financing due to their incursions in Ukraine. Any part of Canada shouldn't have that problem any time soon. If the oil price were to stay this low for more than a year, then yes, I would agree with your assessment of the Calgary and Edmonton economies, but their situation isn't perfectly analogous to Russia's.

There was no rational or supply based reason for the oil to be over $100 a barrel in the first place. It was a bubble, and that bubble has burst. Yes, it will go back up somewhat when the Saudis cut back production, but they have said that they have no intention of doing so any time soon. In fact, current speculation is that we will see $30 per barrel oil this year. The US dollar is also starting to gain strength again. If that continues, the price will continue to go down in terms of dollars.

That's the most extreme estimate that I have heard. There was an article on Forbes where the last line was essentially; "we estimate that $60 will be the ceiling for the next few years and we have no idea what the bottom will be"