Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guasto74

Blade Sauce?

I know some shops that will add a liquid to the blade after a sharpening to make the skates glide more for at least the first or second skate after sharpening. However, none of these places sell the liquid in retail, e.g., they will do it with a sharpening for an extra dollar or two.

Anyone know what this stuff is or know of a place that sells this?

Thanks.

i think you're thinking of blademaster's gusto glide?

if that's what you're referring to, it's actually to help give a smooth finish to the steel on the finishing pass of the skate sharpening... so it's not something you would just apply to the skates.

if you're correct about it's purpose, then i have no idea what :blink:

I've seen a couple of different things. One place here will use a sauce during the sharpening that is supposed to help the glide. Another place applies some kind of oil to the blade after a sharpening to help glide.

It could also just be oil. I always use a small dab of oil w/ my miracle stone. It helps carry away any blade shavings that may build up on the stone/blade.

isnt it just a coolant to cool the blade down after a sharpening?

which should make the blade harder(heating and cooling metals makes them harder)

Baz5

Before I post what I have found on the subject, I can tell you that the source for this information is genuine. He has an impeccable reputation for caring for his customers and as an excellent skate sharpening facility. I use them for sharpening and have always been 100% satisfied with the sharpening and profiling they do for me. I have used them since last summer.

As per the noicingsports.com website:

For the serious hockey player, we offer a performance blade finish. While our regular skate sharpening produces an excellent finish, the blade's performance can be improved even more with this optional treatment. Similar to what Olympic speed skaters use, we apply a special space-age compound to your skate's blades during the sharpening process. Unlike oils and waxes, we actually grind this special compound into the blade where it bonds with the metal, kind of like a teflon coat. The compound significantly reduces friction and drag and will increase your glide and speed. The results are amazing. Also unlike oils and waxes, it will not wear off after a few minutes, it will last 2-3 skates. Make Blade Finishing part of your regularly scheduled sharpening routine.

No Icing Sports

Before I post what I have found on the subject, I can tell you that the source for this information is genuine. He has an impeccable reputation for caring for his customers and as an excellent skate sharpening facility. I use them for sharpening and have always been 100% satisfied with the sharpening and profiling they do for me. I have used them since last summer.

For the serious hockey player, we offer a performance blade finish. While our regular skate sharpening produces an excellent finish, the blade's performance can be improved even more with this optional treatment. Similar to what Olympic speed skaters use, we apply a special space-age compound to your skate's blades during the sharpening process. Unlike oils and waxes, we actually grind this special compound into the blade where it bonds with the metal, kind of like a teflon coat. The compound significantly reduces friction and drag and will increase your glide and speed. The results are amazing. Also unlike oils and waxes, it will not wear off after a few minutes, it will last 2-3 skates. Make Blade Finishing part of your regularly scheduled sharpening routine.

No Icing Sports

This is where I get my skates sharpened as well. The work they do is fantastic. I'm not trying to take business away from them and anyways, it looks like they add this sauce as part of the sharpening process so trying to add something on my own may prove futile. I'm just curious as to what this stuff actually is.

Crazy idea, but maybe the next time you are there you could ask them.

Actually, I mail my blades to them. They are so good that they have a lot of customers mail their blades to the shop from all over the country and I beleive internationally too.

I mail my blades to them as well.

Shipping the blades to them, the sharpening, and the return shipping are cheaper than going to the local shop I actually trust.

Not to mention, it's a LOT more convenient that driving to the shop, parking, etc.

If Bob says it works I would gladly pay the extra $1, but it also says it only lasts 2-3 sessions, so I'd rather just do a regular sharpening.

No Icing Sports

Reading that I feel like a car slaesman is trying to get me to go for scotchguard and undercoating...

Has anyone done a blind-test with this?

It's just like the whole thermablade debate. Apart from the fact that this treatment doesn't cost $400.

Guys:

I feel the need to just say one thing here.

I do not know enough to say this does or does not work.

I do know enough about Bob at No Icing Sports to comfortably say that he is not the type of guy to sell you that extra something that does not work.

When I first called him to discuss skate sharpening, he spent half an hour on the phone talking about my height, weight, style of play, ice conditions where I play, etc. I don't think for the extra $1 he would consider selling "snake oil". For example, he recommended a shorter radius for me. I was skeptical, but he offered to return the skate to my previous radius and refund the cost if after three skates I did not feel it improved my skating. Does that sound like the type of guy to try and squeeze and extra Dollar out of a sharpening?

Also, how many of us have called a shop for an emergency sharpening or piece of equipment only to find that the shop has closed? No Icing has an emergency email address where they will open the store to accommodate your after hour needs.

Lastly, if you read the site he mentions something about the legality of this or similar finishes in speed skating. I would say if they outlawed it, there might be some validity to it.

My recommendation if you are skeptical and have a knowledge of skates, blades, and the physics of skate blades, call him. Call the store, ask for Bob and talk to him yourself. Within 5 minutes you will agree that he is not the type of guy to sell "snake oil" for the extra $1.

I have no affiliation to them, I just love the service I get from them.

No Icing Sports

Wasn't the 1960's the space age?

Guys:

I do know enough about Bob at No Icing Sports to comfortably say that he is not the type of guy to sell you that extra something that does not work.

When I first called him to discuss skate sharpening, he spent half an hour on the phone talking about my height, weight, style of play, ice conditions where I play, etc. I don't think for the extra $1 he would consider selling "snake oil". For example, he recommended a shorter radius for me. I was skeptical, but he offered to return the skate to my previous radius and refund the cost if after three skates I did not feel it improved my skating. Does that sound like the type of guy to try and squeeze and extra Dollar out of a sharpening?

Also, how many of us have called a shop for an emergency sharpening or piece of equipment only to find that the shop has closed? No Icing has an emergency email address where they will open the store to accommodate your after hour needs.

Lastly, if you read the site he mentions something about the legality of this or similar finishes in speed skating. I would say if they outlawed it, there might be some validity to it.

My recommendation if you are skeptical and have a knowledge of skates, blades, and the physics of skate blades, call him. Call the store, ask for Bob and talk to him yourself. Within 5 minutes you will agree that he is not the type of guy to sell "snake oil" for the extra $1.

Agree 100%.

I've used the sauce and do think there is a difference. Whether or not it's a benefit is a matter of personal preference. I recall when I first had Bob's shop do custom work on my skates I asked for the sauce but he said he wouldn't do it b/c 1 in 100 do not like it. He wanted to make sure my sharpening and radius were good before trying the sauce.

In my experience the sauce doesn't help my sprint but I definitely get a little more glide in my coast. Maybe all you coasters out there should try it!

ok ... to bring the "space age" into current political correctness.....

"When you chose to use the sauce, No Icing will issue 1 carbon credit for each application. Use of the sauce will reduce your CO2 emission since less effort will be need to glide as far. Your contribution to reduce global warming is much appreciated"

To encourage continued use, after every five sauce applications a 6th credit will be issued and after 20 applications a certificate of appreciation from Al Gore will be sent.

Guys:

You do know that he posts on here, right?

Dupont teflon car wax.

Hahaha we need to talk.

Guys:

You do know that he posts on here, right?

Dupont teflon car wax.

Hahaha we need to talk.

No, I did not know he posts on here.

I found his shop online a year ago, maybe even through this forum, I don't remember. I gave it a shot and have been very happy with his work.

All I can say is that where I live it's rare to find a shop or service that cares about anything more than making a buck. So, when I find a shop or service that does, I try to recommend them whenever possible. As I told the one local shop in NY that cares for their customers when they first opened "it's in my best interest to make sure they stay open". I have since sent them at least 2 dozen customers that I know of and they are known by everyone who plays at the rink I play at.

ok ... to bring the "space age" into current political correctness.....

"When you chose to use the sauce, No Icing will issue 1 carbon credit for each application. Use of the sauce will reduce your CO2 emission since less effort will be need to glide as far. Your contribution to reduce global warming is much appreciated"

To encourage continued use, after every five sauce applications a 6th credit will be issued and after 20 applications a certificate of appreciation from Al Gore will be sent.

What was that all about???? I'm super serial.

BTW Bob is an excellent guy, always on the spot with his sharpenings.