Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vrsixin

Bauer APX stick anyone tried one

I wish bauer sticks had a flex "deadzone" like the sherwood t90's where you could cut 4" inches off the top without affecting the flex of the stick. I'm a lightweight but I'm 5'9 - by the time i cut the stick to the right height it's too stiff - the stick isn't doing any work on slapshots and although I can still get alot of power on my wrist shots it just takes too long to load up (I have to really get down low to get the twig to bend) I would get an intermediate stick but bauer unfortunately made the stick just a bit too small in length (only 49 inches SHAFT ONLY) and I have heard bauer's intermediate sticks used to be 3-4 inches longer before until they decided to make them smaller!

Can you guys REALLY tell the difference in the kickpoint?? I messed around with a total one and APX in the store, seemed like the APX stick flexed just slightly lower than a Total one. Am I wrong? Is there a huge difference?

I can tell the difference on the ice. It is harder to tell in a store. The other thing for me, is I am 6'6. So my low hand is probably a lot higher up on the stick than yours. I really feel the mid kick load up, especially on one timers and quick snap passes. I really like the feel of the APX loading on snap and slap shots. It takes more effort but the end result is quicker to me. I felt like the total one loaded and kicked the same once a certain amount of lean was put into it. Kind of like a compound bow. WHich is awesome, but the APX is much more touch based to me. QUick snappers can benefit from the low kick and hard clappers benefit from the two kick points. Not sure if I am just drinking the Kool Aid but it makes a difference to me!

Nice to see feedback from another tall guy using the APX. Did you put an extension in yours? I splurged and decided to buy the carbon 4" Vapor extension (I normally use wood). It's worked well so far.

I wish bauer sticks had a flex "deadzone" like the sherwood t90's where you could cut 4" inches off the top without affecting the flex of the stick. I'm a lightweight but I'm 5'9 - by the time i cut the stick to the right height it's too stiff - the stick isn't doing any work on slapshots and although I can still get alot of power on my wrist shots it just takes too long to load up (I have to really get down low to get the twig to bend) I would get an intermediate stick but bauer unfortunately made the stick just a bit too small in length (only 49 inches SHAFT ONLY) and I have heard bauer's intermediate sticks used to be 3-4 inches longer before until they decided to make them smaller!

Can you guys REALLY tell the difference in the kickpoint?? I messed around with a total one and APX in the store, seemed like the APX stick flexed just slightly lower than a Total one. Am I wrong? Is there a huge difference?

Bauer intermediates are just 3" shorter than the seniors. It sounds like you're cutting down your seniors fairly significantly, if (for example) you're cutting 2" off a Bauer senior, then you could also use a Bauer intermediate with a 1" end plug and it'd be the same length. Some guys seem hesitant to use end plugs for some reason, but there's nothing wrong with them, if you want an intermediate flex (which sounds like a good call if you can't properly flex 77 seniors), but find intermediate sticks to be just slightly too short, then an intermediate with a small end plug should solve your problems easily.

Re: kickpoints, I have not used an Apx or a TotalOne on the ice, but I have used a one80 and a one95 as well as an X50 and an X60, and to me the difference is very noticeable. When taking wrist/snap shots with Supreme sticks I really feel the flex at my bottom hand, similar to how shooting with a wood stick feels, but when shooting with Vapor sticks I can't feel the flex the same way, the kick is still good but I don't really feel the load and release to the same extent. To me Vapor sticks feel stiffer than Supremes at the same rated flex. I prefer Supremes, but it's really all personal preference.

I prefer Supremes, but it's really all personal preference.

I used to be the same way until I tried my an APX in the 87 flex. I had normally been using TotalOne's in the 102 flex, but pretty happy with going to the softer flex on the APX.

you wont be able to tell the difference in store flexing it on the floor. Its all in the shot response. The apx I find feels the same as a total one on slap shots. its wristers and snaps that have better release and velocity with the apx. This stick is the real deal for me, and no other stick performs like it.

Nice to see feedback from another tall guy using the APX. Did you put an extension in yours? I splurged and decided to buy the carbon 4" Vapor extension (I normally use wood). It's worked well so far.

Yessir! I put the carbon plug in mine. With a 2 inch plug, the blade taped, and the handle taped the stick weighs 470 grams! So light! Most sticks fully dressed for me are right at 500 grams.

I too really love the feel of this stick. For me the 102 is perfect. I would have gone with a 112 total one though iif i had the chance, so I am getting used to the stiffer feel of the APX. I almost went with an 87. Might on the next one.

Bought one,,,PM9, right , grip, 77 flex. There must be something to the TO cut to short guy length puts the flex zone relatively in the" wrong" place,because this stick plays way softer than my TO.

And that's a good thing. Love it!

Bauer intermediates are just 3" shorter than the seniors. It sounds like you're cutting down your seniors fairly significantly, if (for example) you're cutting 2" off a Bauer senior, then you could also use a Bauer intermediate with a 1" end plug and it'd be the same length. Some guys seem hesitant to use end plugs for some reason, but there's nothing wrong with them, if you want an intermediate flex (which sounds like a good call if you can't properly flex 77 seniors), but find intermediate sticks to be just slightly too short, then an intermediate with a small end plug should solve your problems easily.

the difference between a senior 77 flex cut down 2 inches and an intermediate 67 flex with a 1" plug is almost a 20 point difference in flex. thats significant and not an easy solution by any means. (i should mention that not everyone agrees with the marked rating on bauer's sticks/charts, but if they are accurate than this would be the case)

if bauer offered the 75 flex intermediate at retail that would appease quite a few people, granted likely not a large enough population to make it economically feasible.

I bought an APX this week after convincing myself for the past two years that a $99 stick was good enough. Not true. Boy, this stick is fabulous, and the kick point works great for snap shots especially. I am not sure that I made the right choice in an 87 flex versus 77, but so far so good.

Yesterday at my squirt teams practice, we were working on some tipping drills with the goalie. I was the shooter, and of course I was trying to lighten up the shot and not hurt the kid. The more I let the stick do the work, the harder this thing shot! It is a great stick. Admittingly, the kick point is much different and I need to adjust when shooting wristers, but it will come.

As an aside, why is it that when a store has a shooting set up to try sticks, they always have the 110 flex version out! I tried everything, and took the APX as it was by far the best feel. However, I would like to see how the proper flex in a Widow or RS would have compared.

Your stick is the only piece in your equipment that justifies the loads of bucks you'll crack on it [only piece of equipment that has really evolved in the past 10-20years and changed (in a way) the game].

In every brand, the Top end stick is truely apart from the rest of the line.

At our level (fat fuck national hockey league) it'll provide you more delight on the ice, and that's all that matters to me.

I agree with all the hype surrounding this stick. The blade is truly deserving of its patent. I was already impressed with the way it felt when stickhandling with a green biscuit but it was unreal with a puck on ice. I think I understand now what one95 users are talking about when they refer to the nice soft feel they get from their blades. And the response, my god the response! The first snap shot I took on the ice with the stick made me forget all the buyers remorse I had when I paid the cashier. I didn't think they could improve much on the x:60 but I'm glad they exceeded my expectations.

One thing I did notice however was that it feels slightly more whippy than the last years model. Anyone else notice that?

APX owners/testers....

If I use a X40 now in a 77 flex, but considered stepping up to an 87 flex when purchasing the APX because I have been feeling that it was a bit whippy in some situations...Then a 77 flex APx should be okay due to it's "plays stiffer than rated" tendencies? Is this correct or incorrect thinking?

I find the APX to be whippier than the X60 in the same rated flex. I don't own the stick...this is from fiddling around with it in the store.

APX owners/testers....

If I use a X40 now in a 77 flex, but considered stepping up to an 87 flex when purchasing the APX because I have been feeling that it was a bit whippy in some situations...Then a 77 flex APx should be okay due to it's "plays stiffer than rated" tendencies? Is this correct or incorrect thinking?

It doesn't play stiffer than rated I don't think. It's essentially a low-kick stick so based on where it flexes and where the force is applied from your hands, it 'feels' stiffer. In the same thread, a 77 flex T1 would 'feel' whippier since it's a mid-kick stick and that where it flexes. When I tested this stick out, I found that it played the same as other 77 flexes, interesting how you feel differently, did you cut it down at all?

I finally caught a slapper flush last night with the stick and wow did the shot pop off the stick. My problem, and I realized this after I shot, was that I hadn't been getting my bottom hand low enough on the shaft. Once that happened I was able to really take advantage of the stick. The rest of the evening I made sure to play my lower hand an inch or so lower and it made a world of difference.

This experience could also be influenced by the fact that I've got a 4" plug in the shaft. Perhaps my hands are just a bit above where everybody else would normally grip the stick if theirs doesn't have an extension.

It doesn't play stiffer than rated I don't think. It's essentially a low-kick stick so based on where it flexes and where the force is applied from your hands, it 'feels' stiffer. In the same thread, a 77 flex T1 would 'feel' whippier since it's a mid-kick stick and that where it flexes. When I tested this stick out, I found that it played the same as other 77 flexes, interesting how you feel differently, did you cut it down at all?

I do not have to cut a 60" stick. It is at chin height(in skates). I usually cut 3 - 31/2 in. off a 63" stick(Warrior, etc.).

Would like some more beef based on playing with my x40 77 flex, but just do not want to go up to a 87 in the APX and find that a 77 APX would have played 'stiffer' than my x40 77 flex.

Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead. What about people who like to really load up on wrist shots, I like to really get down low and get everything behind my wrist shots, sure it takes more time to get off but I say its probably twice as hard as a typical wrist shot. I really like my one95 for this purpose as i could feel my stick start to really flex as i get my legs and hip into the shot. With an APX can you still use the same uhh shot mechanic for a better word or will I have to really adjust alot? Its a apx vs totalone fight right now, having a tough time chosing.

I haven't really gotten to do a ton of shooting with it, but the puckfeel is incredible. Better than any stick I've ever used. Awesome for deking goalies in warmups.

If you're that big a fan of the One95 flex characteristics then the TotalOne would be a better choice for you.

ya but the x60 is much lighter i'm just curious if people who take heavy wristshots like the x60

ya but the x60 is much lighter i'm just curious if people who take heavy wristshots like the x60

i actually found the opposite. my t1 feels lighter than my x60. not sure if it has anything to do with the difference in curves though. t1 has p14 and the x60 has p92, but the difference is noticeable.

I haven't really gotten to do a ton of shooting with it, but the puckfeel is incredible. Better than any stick I've ever used. Awesome for deking goalies in warmups.

:facepalm: I think we have found, THAT guy!