Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pbhockey4

Wood vs composite stick?

I wanna get a new stick since my 150 dollars composite stick broke but i have 1 composite stick (bauer total 1) and 1 wood stick sheerwood. I like wood sticks because their durable and more cheaper but the composite stick i get to choose my stick and blade depending on where I shoot. What would be a better option wood or composite.

I'm a big fan of 2 piece sticks but am also a very poor man so . . .

Go into a big shop and check a bunch out. Maybe some nice soul will spring for what you want for Christmas.

Best of luck to ya bud.

Wouldnt wood sticks be better then spending 250 on a composite stick that breaks after a couple games?

If you break a composite after a couple games, you're doing something very wrong and you will likely break a lot of wood sticks too. Wood sticks, and especially the blades of wood sticks, get too soft for me after only a couple games. Composite products last longer for me and are much more consistent. Composite ends up costing me less in the long run too.

Wouldnt wood sticks be better then spending 250 on a composite stick that breaks after a couple games?

I don't believe any of this 250 nonsense. Surely you can find a modern $100 composite that is durable and performs well.

I would look for a composite on close out. If your in Canada sportchek's have One95's, SE16's, and S17's all for $130. If you can't find any good sticks on closeout I would look at a t90, I have only heard good things about them for the price.

rbk 6k or bauer x40

Sherwood T90 is also very good, and is priced at about $130 (minus any discounts the store may offer). Very light and good feel.

For beer league hockey, composites will last a lot longer than wood hockey sticks. I still have every composite shaft I've ever bought, the blades are the only thing I've ever broken on those. And of those blades that broke, they were all either wood that went soft from use and water moisture, or ABS blades used for roller hockey on asphalt.

Try one of the shaft+blade combos first. This will let you get used to the idea that the composites aren't a fragile and if something does break, it will probably be the blade which can easily be replaced at a lower cost. Plus, you can always change your curves up without completely changing how the stick feels.

i stopped playing at high levels of hockey with in the last few years, but I always had a rule never to spend more then around $100 on a hockey stick seeing as they can be fragile as far as someone slashing it or you getting hit into the boards and it breaking. With that being said I have owned a few one pieces over the years all spent around $100 or less on them and have been very happy with the performance and quality. Currently I am using a supreme one 80 some similarities to a total one and have had no issues with it and only spend $120 + shipping on it.

I stopped usaing wood sticks a couple of years ago - I was a 'champion' of wood sticks, frowning on the 'new boys' with their space age composite junk but now...i'm converted.

I agree with Chadd's comments - wood stick blades go like putty after a month or so of regular usage for me. This got expensive after a while. I think if you want to go composite, don't buy the cheapest crap. I have only ever used pro-stock composites because they're cheaper than retail (in the UK anyway) and I was told that they are usually better quality.

I have been shooting hard for nearly a whole year on a Hal Gill Pro-stock 115 flex RM19 that I got off eBay - and it's still going strong (paint is destroyed but the stick itself is perfect)

If not, my Easton ST 100 flex shaft and wood blade combo works for me - best of both worlds. If I could find cheaper composite blades in the UK, i'd go for a composite shaft/composite blade setup.

Hope that helps.

I think what he’s looking for doesn’t exist yet, which is a wooden shaft and a composite blade. It would be difficult to engineer such a product because of obvious production reasons like balance, weight, flex zones ...

Cheers

you've never heard of the easton z carbon stick

I stopped usaing wood sticks a couple of years ago - I was a 'champion' of wood sticks, frowning on the 'new boys' with their space age composite junk but now...i'm converted.

I agree with Chadd's comments - wood stick blades go like putty after a month or so of regular usage for me. This got expensive after a while. I think if you want to go composite, don't buy the cheapest crap. I have only ever used pro-stock composites because they're cheaper than retail (in the UK anyway) and I was told that they are usually better quality.

I echo these comments except that I'd very quickly realized inconsistencies and short life span of wooden sticks and moved to composite shaft/wooden blade combo. Thought it's an improvement still the blades would go soft very quick and it'd mess up shooting, passing etc so given that there're very good composite sticks nowadays it seems to make sense to bite the bullet and adapt to these ones to enjoy for years to come.

I’ve never seen a Sr version, and if you read the specs it’s not a true top of the line composite blade, it’s reinforced with fiberglass same goes for the shaft. The only one I can think of is maybe Näslund’s Nike stick, but I don’t remember what were the specs it was long time go.

Cheers

they made senior versions too.

op wasn't looking for top of the line composite.

obviously not difficult to engineer, just no market for it.