Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Empieee

replacing blades

So.. like a minute ago I pulled the trigger on a new stick. Easton synergy st shaft and syngery blade(both where on a closeout so got it fairly cheap instead of getting a ops)

the only thing I am wondering about is: is it really needed to use a heat gun to get the blade in, or would some aluminium foil with a blowtorch do the trick aswell?

I dont think a regular hair dryer would cut it..

thanks in advance

Can you use both the torch and the haridryer? Fix the torch to your table/bench, position the stick right next to the end of the flame and use the hairdryer to blow the heat onto the stick? that way you get the heat without applying the flame to the shaft/blade? I haven't tried this before, then you get the heating "element" and the fan blowing over it like a heat gun.

Just go out and by an inexpensive heat gun. You just bought an expensive piece of equipment and want to risk ruining it. If you plan on using a combo it is well worth having.

You can get a heat gun for like 20-40 bucks.

well that is why I wanted to use aluminium foil..

just heat the shaft, give it a try and if not heat some more

Don't heat the shaft to put a blade in.

'

Why wouldn't you? I always heat the shaft and blades when installing blades. That way when the shaft cools and contracts, it creates a very tight fit and you don't have to worry about the blade coming out.

Every person I've ever seen install a blade into a shaft heats both.

Seems like it's been pretty well covered but just buy a heat gun. I got one at a crafts store for around $10-20.

And you will want to heat the shaft before inserting the blade, it expands a little bit making it a little easier to slide the blade in. After the blade is inserted and the glue has cooled, I like to reheat the joint to melt the glue again, I think it forms a little bit better of a bond, but as long as the fit is snug it shouldn't matter if you do that last step or not.

Why wouldn't you? I always heat the shaft and blades when installing blades. That way when the shaft cools and contracts, it creates a very tight fit and you don't have to worry about the blade coming out.

Every person I've ever seen install a blade into a shaft heats both.

Why would the shaft contract past its original shape? I mean, whatever, go ahead and heat the shaft for no reason, not my stick.

Why would the shaft contract past its original shape? I mean, whatever, go ahead and heat the shaft for no reason, not my stick.

The shaft will expand when heated then contract when cooling. I've done this hundreds of times. There's no need to make it sound like you're instantly going to break the shaft if it's heated. I've never had any luck sliding a blade into a shaft without heating it first.

The shaft will expand when heated then contract when cooling. I've done this hundreds of times. There's no need to make it sound like you're instantly going to break the shaft if it's heated. I've never had any luck sliding a blade into a shaft without heating it first.

I never said you would instantly break it. I've always installed blades without having to heat the shaft. I just don't see the point of heating the shaft for minimal expansion factor.

I've been playing with a two piece for over 15 years, and I always have heated the shaft. You heat the shaft to expand the end, so you can fit the blade in easily, then the shaft cools, contracts, and tightens around the blade. If the blade is too lose in the shaft (which I've noticed often with the newer shafts) I put a peice of tape around the tip of the blade to make sure it's a tight fit.

This doesn't breakdown the shaft at all or the blade. . . .

Also, before I had a heat gun, I would turn on my oven and leave the door opened, and hold the end of the shaft in the oven. I suggest buying a heat gun though.

i broke an s19 an inch or two below where it says s19. The stick has the elliptical profile which makes the stick run thinner toward the blade. What should i do ? Not sure where i should cut the shaft to fit a blade

i broke an s19 an inch or two below where it says s19. The stick has the elliptical profile which makes the stick run thinner toward the blade. What should i do ? Not sure where i should cut the shaft to fit a blade

This is the thread you are looking for: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7494-cutting-ops-at-fuse-point/page__hl__%2Bcutting+%2Bops+%2Bfuse__fromsearch__1

Long story short though, is flip the shaft and put a standard blade in the butt end. You'd have to cut above the elliptical taper to fit a blade in that end.

You can get a heat gun for like 20-40 bucks.

There are some shafts and blade tenons with different dimensions and I don't mean tapered vs standard. You get shafts with some more rounded corners than others and some with slightly more concaved shaft walls (this is sometimes the case if you were putting a blade in the butt end, or a blade into a cut down OPS). Heating the shaft helps with all of these.

I understand that not heating the shaft worked well for you, but you really shouldn't tell someone what to do especially since heating the shaft is the proven effective technique.

There are some shafts and blade tenons with different dimensions and I don't mean tapered vs standard. You get shafts with some more rounded corners than others and some with slightly more concaved shaft walls (this is sometimes the case if you were putting a blade in the butt end, or a blade into a cut down OPS). Heating the shaft helps with all of these.

I understand that not heating the shaft worked well for you, but you really shouldn't tell someone what to do especially since heating the shaft is the proven effective technique.

I've literally never seen anyone advise someone to heat the shaft outside this thread. I'm not going to continue to argue this because it's ridiculous, but I've never seen anyone do it or recommend it.

It's better to heat the shaft. It expands to accomodate the blade more easily, then shrinks as it cools for a tighter fit. Also, most of the time I install a blade I've just heated the shaft to remove the old/broken one, so it's already warm. I'm not saying it's the only way, but it's how I've done it for the last 18 years or so.

I've always heated the shaft but not for the reason of expansion / contraction. Heating the shaft makes the shaft walls go soft, if there are any sticking points between the blade and the shaft, the shaft walls will give slightly and this will allow the blade to slide in.

However if you are trying to fit a square cornered blade into a rounded corner shaft, no amount of heating will make this happen. You either have to file the corners of the shaft out or file down the corners of the blade, I always end up doing a mix of both until the two finally fit together.