Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hnl

New vs old stick technology

Hey everyone new to MSH so wasn't sure where to put this type of discussion. If it's in the wrong place sorry.

Anyways, I was wondering would it be better to get a high end hockey stick which was made a few years ago vs a mid end hockey stick in current years which are the same price. Would the new technology be better?

An example is a 2009 Warrior Dolomite vs a 2011 Warrior Bandito. They are both priced around $90-100 now, which one is the better stick to get?

Has technology changed much in the past 2-3 years which warrants a newer model stick? Or Would it be better to get a old top line stick?

Which also begs the question, what's the point of buying a 2011 Dolomite vs a 2008 Dolomite?

Thanks!

It all depends on the specific sticks. In the case of the dolo-bandito, I would get the dolomite.

Most likely high end from a few years past and repeating what Chadd said. Technology hasn't changed that much that a current mid-end stick would be comparable to recent high end ones, unlike if we were to compare current mid end sticks to products that were put out a decade before or even before that.

I would go for the 2009 Dolomite over the Bandito. I don't have the specs with me but the 2011 has Dual Density blade foam core (soft tip, dense heel) which the 2008 does not share.

in the past few years, has there been any real technological improvements?

I think the way sticks are constructed is where we are seeing the real changes. You look at the Easton S17 with a true one piece design and the elliptical taper. Same with the Warrior Dager Taper which is something we've never seen before. But of course there is all kind of new foams and such also.

But to answer the original questions, I'm always on the side of buying something that was the top of the line a few years ago compared to a price point product today.

You look at the Easton S17 with a true one piece design and the elliptical taper.

S17s are still fused, just not the same way as "traditional" OPS

Correct. S17 and 19s are two piece creations, the fuse above the elliptical taper. Wasn't the AI9 boasting true OPS construction nowadays? "The fibres you hold in your hand extend down through the toe of the blade"?

An example is a 2009 Warrior Dolomite vs a 2011 Warrior Bandito. They are both priced around $90-100 now, which one is the better stick to get?

In my case with the Dolomite vs. the Bandito, I just got em both... literally. They're being delivered tomorrow.

HockeyMonkey has them on clearance both of them falling in the $70-$75 range (even less if you buy in a 2 or 3-pack) plus 15% site wide sale is happening currently, so you can definitely find them for less than $100. You can actually find the 2011 Dolomite there for about $100 before the discounts. Just FYI if you're looking for those sticks specifically.

Correct. S17 and 19s are two piece creations, the fuse above the elliptical taper. Wasn't the AI9 boasting true OPS construction nowadays? "The fibres you hold in your hand extend down through the toe of the blade"?

Combat was promoting the pure that way too.

I would definately take 'old' top of the line sticks. I have a warrior macdaddy thats several yrs old and it still is better than 2nd-3rd tier sticks

My favorite stick is still the 2005 stealth. I'm on my last one now. Sad day when it finally goes. I tried to like the mako, it just felt odd compared to the stealth.

In my case with the Dolomite vs. the Bandito, I just got em both... literally. They're being delivered tomorrow.

HockeyMonkey has them on clearance both of them falling in the $70-$75 range (even less if you buy in a 2 or 3-pack) plus 15% site wide sale is happening currently, so you can definitely find them for less than $100. You can actually find the 2011 Dolomite there for about $100 before the discounts. Just FYI if you're looking for those sticks specifically.

Do you think you can please let me know your opinion on both when they get in? The dolomite right that i was looking at only comes in Kovalchuk at the moment.

Is there a reason you got one of each? Why not 2 of the same?

My favorite stick is still the 2005 stealth. I'm on my last one now. Sad day when it finally goes. I tried to like the mako, it just felt odd compared to the stealth.

I've found it extremely comical over the years how the sticks that everyone "hated" upon release (XXX Lite, Stealth, S17) are now "loved" sticks. Man, I've been on this MB too long.

I've found it extremely comical over the years how the sticks that everyone "hated" upon release (XXX Lite, Stealth, S17) are now "loved" sticks. Man, I've been on this MB too long.

I don't recall the stealth being hated.

I have loved the stealth since they were released. I also havent heard too many negatives on them, either.

I've never wavered on my love of the XXX Lite. I have a Caddyshack moment whenever I pull one out, "Billy, Billy, Billy, oh Billy, Billy."

I don't recall the stealth being hated.

I do, mostly because I was one of them.

The biggest complaint was the shaft shape & flex felt different than previous eastons. I still have mine, I never really used it long enough to get used to it.

I do, mostly because I was one of them.

The biggest complaint was the shaft shape & flex felt different than previous eastons. I still have mine, I never really used it long enough to get used to it.

The vast majority of people liked the Stealth

can't forget the glory known as the TPS XN10 that thing was a cannon.

I still have two of them. They are absolutely perfect for my slapshot.

Still one if the best shooting shafts I've used. I even purchased a lefty ops to convert into a tapered shaft, never did though...

Still one if the best shooting shafts I've used. I even purchased a lefty ops to convert into a tapered shaft, never did though.