Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikej411

Girdle questions

Thinking about getting a girlde. Not too much info I could find about the differences between these two Bauers. Has anyone used these and would know the differences?

The T1 is pretty much the same thing as the One95 so if you take a look at the pics below you'll notice it's a wrap around girdle. Like JR said, the APX is more like pants (you pull it up).

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

And in this video even though Grabner shows a 9k girdle on the floor he's actually getting dressed with a One95 girdle (and a 9k shell for some reason).

I pull up my one95 girdle too, just as I did with my APX. One95/TO feels overall much more protective to me, falling down on the ass in the APX was a bit**. Also I find the one95/TO more adjustable because of the middle velcros, you can give or take some space, where the APX only has leg velcros. Hope it helps.

Figured I'd throw these up for comparison.

2013-02-14112829_zpsd7138beb.jpg

2013-02-14112848_zps6e1c6ad5.jpg

As said, it's basically a pant with adjustable legs but it is extremely light and comfortable. As a lifelong pant wearer I like the switch to these quite a bit. Good Luck!

I rock the APX with a 9k shell. The 9k shell has a bit of padding in the back where the APX lacks, it's a nice combo that's very lightweight and mobile. I also have a 9k girdle which is nice but the thing is a tank and way overkill for the leagues I play in.

BTW in this video I'm guessing the Total One is what he wears in practice and the 9k is probably his game setup. Most of the NHL guys from what I'm discovering have separate gear for practice.

From my perspective the APX version is a lot lighter than pants, I've never weighed them compared to the pants. The pads hug the body more and you do get more mobility although it's hard to describe really. The feeling of carrying less weight could just be a result of how the pads sit on the body.

Tradeoffs, well most users say they feel less protective however unless you're playing in a heavy checking league or blocking massive slap shots I don't find the APX to be any less protective than pants and most pants lack protection in the same areas as the girdle. Then again NHL guys are using the Total One and 9k so if it works for them I'd like to think it's plenty of protection for beer league. Some complain they got hot also but I'm one of those who is generally always cold on the ice regardless of how much of a sweat I'm working so I don't notice that as a problem.

Dead on MK, the APX is significantly lighter then my Easton RS'. Compared to regular pants they are just in a different world as far as weight and feel. I think the weight difference & seperaton of girdle/shell is what makes the sensation that they are less protective but so far I haven't noticed much of a difference.

From my perspective the APX version is a lot lighter than pants, I've never weighed them compared to the pants. The pads hug the body more and you do get more mobility although it's hard to describe really. The feeling of carrying less weight could just be a result of how the pads sit on the body.

Tradeoffs, well most users say they feel less protective however unless you're playing in a heavy checking league or blocking massive slap shots I don't find the APX to be any less protective than pants and most pants lack protection in the same areas as the girdle. Then again NHL guys are using the Total One and 9k so if it works for them I'd like to think it's plenty of protection for beer league. Some complain they got hot also but I'm one of those who is generally always cold on the ice regardless of how much of a sweat I'm working so I don't notice that as a problem.

I know there's no difference between the retail and pro stock 9k's (only shells) but is there any difference between the retail and pro stock Bauer girdles? Like beefed up padding or anything?

I couldn't tell you. From the video posted his Total One looks identical to the retail Total One. I'm not sure the APX is used in the NHL but I honestly don't see how you could beef the padding up on it any further other than maybe adding some more to the back of the thighs and I guess in the rear section (although I don't find that lacking anymore than any pants I've seen). I spend a lot of time in high traffic areas, in front of the goals screening ect and have taken a lot of falls/bumps and even hard shots off the APX and never had an issue. Like I mentioned before I have a 9k and the thing is a tank so if you're looking for a girdle that has massive protection go that route, but they do cost some coin. The 9k does weigh a ton, a lot more than most pants out there, but once you have it on again the feel of it feels lighter than pants and I again think it has to do with sitting close and right on the body.

I couldn't tell you. From the video posted his Total One looks identical to the retail Total One. I'm not sure the APX is used in the NHL but I honestly don't see how you could beef the padding up on it any further other than maybe adding some more to the back of the thighs and I guess in the rear section (although I don't find that lacking anymore than any pants I've seen). I spend a lot of time in high traffic areas, in front of the goals screening ect and have taken a lot of falls/bumps and even hard shots off the APX and never had an issue. Like I mentioned before I have a 9k and the thing is a tank so if you're looking for a girdle that has massive protection go that route, but they do cost some coin. The 9k does weigh a ton, a lot more than most pants out there, but once you have it on again the feel of it feels lighter than pants and I again think it has to do with sitting close and right on the body.

I have a 9K right now and it's starting to get ripped up pretty good. Just curious to see what else is out there because like you said they cost some coin and I don't want to have to get a new one every 2 years.

I would personally feel very comfortable recommending the APX as a replacement having used both myself, especially if you stick the 9k shell with it (although you do need to figure out how to belt it up, I just use a lace) I know a few others rave about the Warrior girdle as well, maybe there's somebody here who has used a couple other options and could offer some more advice.

Why dont NHL guys use the APX version? Im seeing alot of people here have experience with the APX, but not the total one. Would the total one be lighter or heavier than the APX?

I find girdles to be lighter, cooler, and give you more mobility than pants.

I wouldn't say significantly more mobility, but each portion of a girdle is a perfect fit for your body. Each leg can be individually adjusted, as can the waist. Pants are what they are. Recently I wore a pair of pants for a game and it felt much warmer than my girdle, and I just like the fit the girdle provide better than pants. I guess the best analogy would be that pants may fit well and be comfortable, but with a girdle you will most likely forget you are wearing it. Also, the ability to use different shells to change colors is a nice benefit.

Pants may offer more/better protection, but for the type of hockey most of us play, that should be a non issue.

I've got a new TotalOne and an older CCM, they're very similar in protection but the new TotalOne is lighter.

The difference between the APX and Total One is fit preference and body type. I tried on both before deciding on the APX, which is basically the key. I've realized that forums aren't too helpful in helping you decide on fit and that I'd much rather purchase a product I have tried on than not at all unless it is an online retailer with a great return policy.

It would be in your best interest to try them on and stretch out your legs to full extension, mimicking your hockey stride which will test your mobility.

My take from trying on both:

APX Total One

Bulkier padding Less padding and more form fitting

Fixed waist Adjustable waist velcro'd in

Open groin Velcro adjustment around groin area

Thick thigh padding

Feels more like a Has a spandex/neoprene feel to it.

traditional pant with Really hugs the body.

more mobility.

A little more difficult Very easy to put on an remove b/c everything

to remove. velcros in to place.

The difference between the APX and Total One is fit preference and body type. I tried on both before deciding on the APX, which is basically the key. I've realized that forums aren't too helpful in helping you decide on fit and that I'd much rather purchase a product I have tried on than not at all unless it is an online retailer with a great return policy.

It would be in your best interest to try them on and stretch out your legs to full extension, mimicking your hockey stride which will test your mobility.

APX Total One

Thick thigh padding

more mobility.

Excellent comparison, thanks!!!

Agree with your assessment x-axis. Like I said earlier I'm a lifelong pant wearer and really think the APX is a nice crossover so to speak. Provides the protection of traditional pants, with the comfort and light weight of a fully adjustable girdle.

APX Total One

Thick thigh padding

more mobility.

Based on this, it seems APX is more protective and bulkier while total one is lighter and would offer more mobility. I play in a C adult league, so TotalOne would probably be the better choice by this comparison

After reading about the different girdle models out there, my girdle purchase comes down to these 2. Anyone with experience with both of these and can tell me the dis/advantages of both?

I went from Easton Air to Tackla pants and it was night and day. This last year I switched from the Tackla into the TotalOne. Theres no comparison; the Totalone fits better, rides better, give more freedom and flexibility. Its probably close to half the weight of anny pant I've picked up. In the dressing room and warm ups it feels flimsy and lacking in protection. During games I don't even notice it. Less protection maybe, more protection than the sport had in the first 80 years, without a doubt.

Why dont NHL guys use the APX version? Im seeing alot of people here have experience with the APX, but not the total one. Would the total one be lighter or heavier than the APX?

I should have made mention that this is just an assumption on my part that it's not used in the NHL. I watch a ton of hockey and have never noticed anybody with an APX girdle, does not mean there aren't some out there but based on what I've seen. 9k, Warrior and TotalOne/One95 seem to be the most common.

I dont think anybody uses the APX in the NHL too. Not as protective as the others you mentionned.

Maybe not as protective as the TotalOne, but there's guys that use the TotalOne (I know Toews for sure is one).