Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shoot_the_goalie

how much stick flex points is really noticeable?

From personal experience, around 8 is when things start getting really noticeable. If you increment up by 5 as you get stronger, you won't notice a significant difference.

It depends on how mechanically sound your shot is. I could put a top of the line stick in the hands of someone who has weak technique and I doubt anyone will noticed a difference. For me 3-4 is noticeable, I cut one inch off retail Bauer length so going from a 87 flex -1 inch brings it to a 91 roughly and it's noticeable. I use warrior now and after cutting them to that exact height the difference was noticeable even if it was 3-5 flex.

There are a lot of variables.  You can take two 85 flex sticks off the shelf, and each might flex a hair different.  Not a ton different, but not the same either.

Say one 85 flex stick is a bit easier to flex than another, then you grab two 95's off the shelf, and each is a little different, it really leaves a bit of gray area in terms of how much is noticeable to you. 

Then factor in that some sticks brands generally play whippier than others at certain flex points/intervals (True and Warrior IMHO are whippier than Bauer or Sherwood).  Then of course your technique plays a huge role in all of it as well.

Maybe thats too much, and I'm overthinking it just a bit.  I would say on average, +/- 5 might not be overly noticeable in most cases.  I would say that difference might help dial you in better, but not be very drastic.  Where as, I would say +/-10 would be very different, and definitely take some getting used to.  Maybe cut the difference and say +/- 7 or 8 would be where you would start to really feel the difference. 

Easton 85 Flex has been my go to for many years now but I have used the Bauer 87 Flex and there is a noticeable difference to me. It's probably the difference in the brand moreso than the flex itself though. In my personally experience, I feel that Bauer sticks are a bit more stiff than Easton. I recently got a CCM RBZ 270 with a 85 Flex and it's more familiar to the Easton whippiness.

Eastons are renown for playing whippier than Bauer at similar flexes - then after a few months of use they can really turn into a noodle.