Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coryroth24

Does a 1/2 size make a difference?

Found a pair of skates I've been looking for for a damn long time. They're just a size 7.5, and I've been wearing a 7. Same brand, same skate. No problem right?

made a big difference for me, too......my thinking is, if a half size didn't make any difference, why would they make skates in half size increments???

With 1/2 size too big, your foot can move back and forth. You may get blisters. It would be best to get the skates that fit instead of save some cash.

If you're 11-12 years old and grew as fast as my son, I'd say give em a try. If your finished growing I'd say forget them.

If you're 11-12 years old and grew as fast as my son, I'd say give em a try. If your finished growing I'd say forget them.

+1

But then again, if you're skating a high level and the skate is moldable, a 1/2 size will indeed make a huge difference.

Yes, it makes a HUGE difference!

And, with today's new technology/stiffness miss-sizing by 1/2 "cuts BOTH ways!"

What I mean by that is you could stretch an older skate (for example, my old Tacs) further in length compared to today's latest models.

Case in point: Last week (6 days ago) I purchased a size (7) Bauer X-50s. They were nice & "tight" with my toes curling a little. I expected the fit to be perfect after several skates as the skate would break in and my heel would move back. I skated everyday at open skates to achieve this. To my surprise, my heel did NOT move back as far as I thought it would. Trust me, there is no more room for it to go back. Now, my toes are still jammed (not as bad) into the toe cap and my foot cramps when I skate.

I blame only myself, as this was the process I went through in the past with my old skates and it always worked out great for me.

I went to our local 'skate guru' for a stretch. He told me right away that he could give me some width, but these newer skates (with their incredibly stiff shell) do NOT stretch hardly at all in length!!!! (I didn't even have him try).

Now, I think I'm going to have to sell em' and try again! A BIG PITA!!!!!!

So, make sure they fit "RIGHT" if they are newer models! Not too loose and not too tight.

There is an old saying: "You can always make a skate larger (stretching length or width or punching out), but you can't make a skate smaller."

Well, I'm not sure if this hold true with length nowadays!!!!

Get the "RIGHT" fit!

Good Luck.

Yes, it makes a HUGE difference!

And, with today's new technology/stiffness miss-sizing by 1/2 "cuts BOTH ways!"

What I mean by that is you could stretch an older skate (for example, my old Tacs) further in length compared to today's latest models.

Case in point: Last week (6 days ago) I purchased a size (7) Bauer X-50s. They were nice & "tight" with my toes curling a little. I expected the fit to be perfect after several skates as the skate would break in and my heel would move back. I skated everyday at open skates to achieve this. To my surprise, my heel did NOT move back as far as I thought it would. Trust me, there is no more room for it to go back. Now, my toes are still jammed (not as bad) into the toe cap and my foot cramps when I skate.

I blame only myself, as this was the process I went through in the past with my old skates and it always worked out great for me.

I went to our local 'skate guru' for a stretch. He told me right away that he could give me some width, but these newer skates (with their incredibly stiff shell) do NOT stretch hardly at all in length!!!! (I didn't even have him try).

Now, I think I'm going to have to sell em' and try again! A BIG PITA!!!!!!

So, make sure they fit "RIGHT" if they are newer models! Not too loose and not too tight.

There is an old saying: "You can always make a skate larger (stretching length or width or punching out), but you can't make a skate smaller."

Well, I'm not sure if this hold true with length nowadays!!!!

Get the "RIGHT" fit!

Good Luck.

That's RIGHT Dale!!!!!!!

lol You just keep having skate fit trouble, don't you? How was the transition for fit from your V10SE's to the X:50?

Check out the blade sizes to make sure they are the same size. I'd guess (and this is only a guess) that a 7 and 7.5 may be the same size. If the change you are talking about includes a jump in blade size, it could be quite an adjustment in the way the skates/blades feel on the ice, too.

Check out the blade sizes to make sure they are the same size. I'd guess (and this is only a guess) that a 7 and 7.5 may be the same size. If the change you are talking about includes a jump in blade size, it could be quite an adjustment in the way the skates/blades feel on the ice, too.

Two sizes of skates will use the same length holder in most cases. Just because the steel is the same size, does NOT mean they are the same size skate.

The X:50s are such an awesome skate. Incredibly light, stiff and very responsive on the ice. I left the top eyelet unlaced and could just fly around. I just can't imagine going to an X:60 could be any more beneficial. If it is, it is incredibly marginal.

There are (2) things I "permanently learned"

#1) Tuuk LS2 holders put me so much more forward on my toes compared to E-PRO. With E-PROs I'm more neutral, on the ball of my foot. LS2's are way too forward for me.

#2) I simply DO NOT have a "Bauer Foot." This was my 3rd & FINAL attempt. DONE! It is CCM & E-PROs for the rest of my days.

Some players have a "Bauer Foot." I'm just NOT one of them!

Done!

So, ummm Aaron, you in the market for some brand new X:50s? They are fresh off the shelf! LOL

........... Hope all is well Bud!!!!!!!!!!

It really does make a huge diff. In vapor 40's, I wear a 7, which is a little small, but 7.5 feels too big. I went with the small, tight fit over a half thumb loose. Another problem is that my left foot is a little longer. I hope my next pair of skates will be customs!

Two sizes of skates will use the same length holder in most cases. Just because the steel is the same size, does NOT mean they are the same size skate.

I think he is talking about the possible holder size difference between a pair of size 7.0 skates and the same model skates in a size 7.5, since the first guy wants to get the same skates he has right now but a half size bigger.

Depends on what skates he has, but I think the size 7/7.5/8 range is where the jump in holder size from 263 to 272 is.

I think he is talking about the possible holder size difference between a pair of size 7.0 skates and the same model skates in a size 7.5, since the first guy wants to get the same skates he has right now but a half size bigger.

Depends on what skates he has, but I think the size 7/7.5/8 range is where the jump in holder size from 263 to 272 is.

That's a better way of putting it.... but yeah, that's the point I was after.... to check that that 1/2 size you're thinking of changing isn't where the runners and holders change size in your preferred brand of skate.

That could be another pretty big adjustment and point to consider when deciding what size of skate to purchase. I think that the 7 and 7.5 skates use the same size holder and runner in the ccm E-Pro. I don't know with other brands. I think it's a good thing to make sure that you look at this in whatever skate you're considering prior to making a purchase.

how tight is a 7 on you? if its really snug and your toes are all touching you should be good with a half size up. ive skate just fine in boots anywere from 8 to 9 with all my toes touching in an 8.

the skates i have been using now i should have gotten a 1/2 size bigger. the length is perfect right now but the width is still too narrow with stretching, baking, wear and punching. the 1/2 size larger in the width would have helped me greatly. its my mistake for getting nbh skates to begin with.

the skates i have been using now i should have gotten a 1/2 size bigger. the length is perfect right now but the width is still too narrow with stretching, baking, wear and punching. the 1/2 size larger in the width would have helped me greatly. its my mistake for getting nbh skates to begin with.

If the skates fit lengthwise, you need the same size but in a wider width. A half size bigger is just going to exchange one problem for another.

If the skates fit lengthwise, you need the same size but in a wider width. A half size bigger is just going to exchange one problem for another.

and in my experience, probably wont even fix the width problem. That kind of logic works decently for shoes, not for skates.

i have a size 9E in ccm u+ reloaded's and feel there is a bit of extra room in the front...when i tried on 8.5's, my toes on my right foot were touching the tip of the boot while standing a bit too much for my liking, while my left foot had a perfect fit....went with the 9's cuz didnt wanna take a risk of having skates to small...if they're a bit bigger, you can manage, when their too small, u gotta buy a new pair.

im wearing an EE. i think the 1/2 size up in the EE width would have helped just enough to the point where the skates wont hurt my feet. i get bad lace bite every time i skate along with pain on the outside of my foot when i use them. the only time they dont hurt is when i skate in them every day.

Huge difference - if your arch dosent line up wiht the skate arch (because it is too big) you may experience pain - besides the fact that you will probably not skate as well as you could in a correctly fit skate.