Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer TotalONE NXG Initial Thoughts

I went on and tried NXG and have to agree with this post. retail D is the true D width, feels exactly the same as my custom D TotalOnes (customs were already true to size) which is narrower then the retail totalone D (which used to be E last for T1s)

The shop also told me that Bauer is standardizing sizing for this year skates and so what used to be a D fitting like E doesn't feel the same anymore.

JR - you commented twice on it saying that the sizing remained the same but this really doesn't appear to be the case?

And now I am commenting THREE times. The fit was not changed. I guess I have to post three times to earn credibility around here nowadays...

JimA misunderstood the term; he came from Flexlites which are on an oversized last, so when he posted, he compared it to his previous skate and said that the comparison was valid. I am an EE foot. I wear an E or Supreme D because I cut down on the space even further. I absolutely cannot wear a D.

As for your experience...for a custom skate the width is just a formality/starting point as it's being built for your foot.

What about a Supreme One95 EE? Is that a true EE or D width?

Are you trolling or are you serious??

If serious I think you mean EEE not D and yes supreme EE is EEE as Vapor EE is true EE

Are you trolling or are you serious??

If serious I think you mean EEE not D and yes supreme EE is EEE as Vapor EE is true EE

Not trying to troll.

I just thought I had read that with the TO's on the boot was made a little wider than the One95's.

Not trying to troll.

I just thought I had read that with the TO's on the boot was made a little wider than the One95's.

ok just making sure, they should be the same width.

how are these holding up durability wise? is the bottom of the skate chipping like the previous TO's? I had 2 pairs of TO's which were both punctured by a skate, has this happened or have you heard of this happening with the NXG's?

would you say that the changes between the original totalones and NXG totalones are really worth the extra 300?

how are these holding up durability wise? is the bottom of the skate chipping like the previous TO's? I had 2 pairs of TO's which were both punctured by a skate, has this happened or have you heard of this happening with the NXG's?

No issues on my end.

would you say that the changes between the original totalones and NXG totalones are really worth the extra 300?

Honestly, that isn't a valid question; you are asking me to compare two skates that are similar, but the TotalOne's price has been lowered due to the fact the NXG is on the market.

If you want to save $300, buy the TotalONEs and you will be happy. If you want to buy Bauer's best skate regardless of cost, buy the NXG at full price.

Quick question about the new inserts...

Is anyone else who has the NXG's finding that the "wings" on the new tongue inserts are a little too wide and interfering with lacing? I don't have a wide foot, but still prefer the Supreme fit to the Vapor. I believe that, because of this, the "wings" lose contact with the sides of the tongue and almost press into the boot on either side behind the eyelets. Though I would rather not do so, I'm considering applying a little heat just to the wings with a heat gun to bend them around a little more so that they fit better against the tongue.

Does anyone have any thoughts to offer?

I had 2 pairs of TO's which were both punctured by a skate, has this happened or have you heard of this happening with the NXG's?

I was told by Bauer that specifically to address this concern with the Alive material being cut (I had my TOs cut pretty badly as well) the new composite in NXG is made more durable and cut resistant, plus possibly slightly stiffer as a result.

Quick question about the new inserts...

Is anyone else who has the NXG's finding that the "wings" on the new tongue inserts are a little too wide and interfering with lacing? I don't have a wide foot, but still prefer the Supreme fit to the Vapor. I believe that, because of this, the "wings" lose contact with the sides of the tongue and almost press into the boot on either side behind the eyelets. Though I would rather not do so, I'm considering applying a little heat just to the wings with a heat gun to bend them around a little more so that they fit better against the tongue.

Does anyone have any thoughts to offer?

I had to work mine to where they would fold down when the boot and tongue would come together.

My only gripe with these skates is I have never felt so much pain from simple shots bouncing my inside foot. Im left limping for days.

I had to work mine to where they would fold down when the boot and tongue would come together.

My only gripe with these skates is I have never felt so much pain from simple shots bouncing my inside foot. Im left limping for days.

Thanks. Any sign of wear on the inside of the boot from the "wings"?

Not too excited about your second line there. I guess maybe it's time to dust off my Skate Fenders.

Thanks. Any sign of wear on the inside of the boot from the "wings"?

Not too excited about your second line there. I guess maybe it's time to dust off my Skate Fenders.

Not that I can tell, but I only have maybe 9 games in them, so not much wear yet.

If these wings are bothering you guys so much why don't you simply trim them off? They weren't even there before and the tongue still served the purpose (both for protection and for spring effect) so I'd not imagine cutting them off could make things worse?

If these wings are bothering you guys so much why don't you simply trim them off? They weren't even there before and the tongue still served the purpose (both for protection and for spring effect) so I'd not imagine cutting them off could make things worse?

I would think that the carbon would splinter and make things worse, no?

I tend to block a lot of shots and passes with my feet and haven't really felt much of anything. Protection is great, just as it was with the previous TotalOne

I tend to block a lot of shots and passes with my feet and haven't really felt much of anything. Protection is great, just as it was with the previous TotalOne

This one leads credence to Chippas observation "I learned that Mojos feet resemble a topographical map of New England after a skate."

So being new to the whole total one skates and top shelf skates in general could someone explain to me the whole 3flex tongue deal. Like what flex would I use for a particular skating style. My skating technique is based largely upon power skating and I maybe have to much of a forward lean to my style would I be better of going for a stiffer or looser flex

I'd suggest you start with the medium flex inserts and work your way up in stiffness. Trying them all is the only way to see what flex works best for your skating.

Yep. I'm a pretty impatient individual. But, trying each of the inserts is really the only way to know for sure what works best for you.

In my personal experience, both skating style and the weight of the individual are important factors here. It would seem to me that if you're a really low skater (deep knee bend all the time) you will load the inserts more and possibly not need them to be as stiff. That said, if they aren't stiff enough, you might as well not even be using them and I would think that you may even wear them them out prematurely.

For ME, the X-Stiff inserts caused some discomfort on the top of my foot right where my foot transitions into the ankle/leg during an extended skate. I have two theories as to why this happened to ME.

1) The physical thickness of the X-Stiff inserts took up just a bit more depth in the boot which I did not allow for in my lacing. (In other words, I may simply have been experiencing mild lace bite.)

and/or

2) As I am not a "heavy weight", the X-Stiff inserts may simply have been more rigid than I need, being a low skater.

Conversely, the Mid inserts didn't feel like they were adding much "rebound" at all. The Stiff inserts are what I have settled into for now. But, I do plan on re-testing after I have completely settled into the skates just to be certain of my choice.

From my experience (albeit with T1s, but assuming NXG is similar) the entire boot stiffens up according to the insert so with the mid insert I didn't feel enough support throuout the boot, while x-stiff was just perfect.

I do skip the top eyelet so it might alter the results somehow...