Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
hockeydad3

Speedplate 2.0 cutting off arch-support

After 8 sessions on the ice I´m still feeling a painful pressure in the area of the arch support. The skates (Nexus N2900, 6.5D) are fitting well and have been baked twice. The insoles Speedplate 2.0 have been heated three times and the arch-support has been molded to the skate using a hairdryer and my fingers. Should i go on skating hoping they will break in, or should i cut off the arch-support or should i punch the skate?

Edited by hockeydad3

3 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

After 8 sessions on the ice I´m still feeling a painful pressure in the area of the arch support. The skates (Nexus N2900, 6.5D) are fitting well and have been baked twice. The insoles Speedplate 2.0 have been heated three times and the arch-support has been molded to the skate using a hairdryer and my fingers. Should i go on skating hoping they will break in, or should i cut off the arch-support or should i punch the skate?

Why don't you just use the stock footbeds or superfeet.. cutting out the arch area will significantly change the fit of the footbeds and pretty much make it trash, Imo. 

Personally I like the feeling of my arch being supported but for me it doesn't cause pain. 

Also why are you using your fingers?

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 2

Speedplates don’t break in, they’re rigid once cooled. Removing the arch supports defeats the purpose. Presumably you have unusual arches. Do you know if they are very low or very high? 

• Like 1

The height of my arches is medium.The speedplates offer a much better and snugger fit and fixation of my feet inside the boot resulting in a more direct feeling of the ice/edges and better power transfer. It seems that i have short feet, not small feet: high instep, highvolume midfoot and the middle of the arch more towards the toes than standard.

Here the Pictures:

The first one shows my left foot placed to the insole like it is inside the skate(the toes are in place):

https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/BqAABGJi

The second one shows my left foot placed for the archsupport to fit into my arch:

https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/g5AAhiRI 

The archsupport of the insole fits perfect to the archcontour of the skate.

That means my arch is more towards the toes than bauer wants it to be.

That´s how i did it. The problem is that there is pressure on the back third of my arch and no support on the front third. I have to remove material in the area of the back third of my arch. Cutting off the archsupport or punching the skate, i don´t know another way for the speedplates. Maybe i should go for other insoles.

One option might be to buy a larger speed plate and remove more of the toe than usual, that way the arch moves forward. Of course this is expensive and it might not work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leif said:

One option might be to buy a larger speed plate and remove more of the toe than usual, that way the arch moves forward. Of course this is expensive and it might not work. 

Good suggestion. 

It doesn't look like those insoles fit you length wise... When I have me heel all the way back my toes literally line up to the edge. Looks like yours falls about a cm short. 

Like @Sniper9 said, that looks like the wrong size SpeedPlate, maybe a size too large? It makes me wonder, if the toe of the SpeedPlates aren’t curling up in your boot, you might also have the wrong size in those, larger than you should. Do your toes similarly fall short of the stock insoles that came with the skate?

Edited by flip12
Recorrecting autocorrect.

I think that i couldn't get a better fitting stock-skate. The N2900 is max. 1/4 size or less too long, a bit too wide in the forefoot, a bit too small in the midfoot, perfect heel/heellock. The speedplates are the right size, my arch is simply more towards the front  than bauer is building it into their insoles/boots. Went back to the stock insoles. Still pain and pressure and less support than needed.

Waiting for my  orthopedic insoles. I hope the orthopedic technician knows his Job. He's playing hockey himself and he said that he has made some  insoles for pro-players in the DEL2.

Do ur toes brush the toe cap?

The pics show otherwise in terms of fit. The picture that shows ur big to near the edge of the insole, ur heel is too far forward and not in the heel cup. 

The pic where your heel is in the heel cup, your toes are way too far back. 

Unless ur big toe isn't the biggest toe on your feet, the insoles aren't the right size as per the pics. 

If u still have arch pains with stock footbeds, which are basically nothing. Then the boot itself has it's built in arch that's not ergonomic for ur foot. Or, again, it could be bc it's the wrong size. 

The speed plates are pretty forgiving in that they mould to your feet but it can't mould past the shape of the actual skate boot. If the skate boots built in arch is not for you then there's nothing you can do on the insole front. 

Edited by Sniper9

On 2/24/2019 at 8:56 AM, hockeydad3 said:

You shouldn't be trying to mold the SpeedPlates to the skate. The Speedplates' purpose is to conform to your feet, not to the skates, otherwise your defeating their purpose. If you really want to use your fingers to shape them, then shape them to your feet and not to the skates. I've read of someone shaping the speedplates to their feet before inserting them into the skates and it did the trick for them. While my arches aren't that high, they're also closer to the front of my feet than the average person. Before getting VH skates I had success with Graf/Sidas molded footbeds in Bauer Flexlites. Orthopedic insoles or orthotics might just do the trick for you.

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Do ur toes brush the toe cap?

The pics show otherwise in terms of fit. The picture that shows ur big to near the edge of the insole, ur heel is too far forward and not in the heel cup. 

The pic where your heel is in the heel cup, your toes are way too far back. 

Unless ur big toe isn't the biggest toe on your feet, the insoles aren't the right size as per the pics. 

If u still have arch pains with stock footbeds, which are basically nothing. Then the boot itself has it's built in arch that's not ergonomic for ur foot. Or, again, it could be bc it's the wrong size. 

The speed plates are pretty forgiving in that they mould to your feet but it can't mould past the shape of the actual skate boot. If the skate boots built in arch is not for you then there's nothing you can do on the insole front. 

My toes are feathering the toecap when standing uprigth, or touching them when tight a little bit looser. There might be a little space behind my heel on the level of the insole but my heels had been in place when baking the insoles. I´m aware that custom-orthopedic-insoles could not do the whole job and i could have to punch out the boot to give the propper job. If that doesn´t help, i`m going to buy new feet or start playing soccer. I can´t focus on skating or the game if i have a strong pain in my feet.

Is it really such a weird thing to learn skating and playing hockey with the age of 50?

My kids starting with the age of 5 and playing hockey since 7 years could even skate on flipflops if they had two edges.

7 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

My toes are feathering the toecap when standing uprigth, or touching them when tight a little bit looser. There might be a little space behind my heel on the level of the insole but my heels had been in place when baking the insoles. I´m aware that custom-orthopedic-insoles could not do the whole job and i could have to punch out the boot to give the propper job. If that doesn´t help, i`m going to buy new feet or start playing soccer. I can´t focus on skating or the game if i have a strong pain in my feet.

Is it really such a weird thing to learn skating and playing hockey with the age of 50?

My kids starting with the age of 5 and playing hockey since 7 years could even skate on flipflops if they had two edges.

Or you could go custom skate route....

7 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Not for someone who's just learning. 

Doesn't really help learning In a Pair that doesnt fit... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stick9 said:

Not for someone who's just learning. 

If his feet are unusual, he may have no choice. I know a relative beginner in customs for that reason. The only downside is if he gives up after a month or two. 

21 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

I started at age 53 and many people tell me I’m a good skater. I’m not a brilliant player, but I’m gradually improving, and having fun. Some say youngsters learn much quicker, but in reality I think how hard you work is more important than age. Friends admire a young skater. She is 18. I was talking to her recently and she said she skated for 8 hours on Wednesday. That level of dedication (and bruises) might have something to do with her rapid progress. 😂

You will never be as fast as some youngsters, but hockey is also about skill and thinking. 

I don´t give up since two and a half seasons. One and a half on public skating and one with beginner-hockey two times a week. And last summer on inlineskates. But i have always pain, though it´s a lot of fun.

I have the luck that a sports club here araound has a big group of recreational/hobby/amateur hockeyplayers mixed of all ages, sex and skill-levels.