Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Rhart088

Painting Helmet Vents?

Recommended Posts

Before heads explode I KNOW that painting a helmet is dumb and weakens the plastic and comes off and looks terrible. And I already contacted Bauer and they will not sell just the vents

This is why I ask. My little guy who is 10 plays rep hockey non contact. Well his regular team due to politics will be taking a year off to move leagues. Due to his regular team colors being Navy and powder blue will not work with the Black and Orange of the team he is playing for this season. Luckily he has a black Bauer Re-akt 75 in all black that we bought this summer for ball hockey. But the coach prefers the vents on the helmet to be orange. Well as he already owns 2 $160 helmets buying a 3rd is just not something I want to do.

Sooooooo I was wondering if there was a way to paint the vents orange. I bought some 3M vinyl which works but it's a pain. I was thinking Orange krylon fusion and super light coats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is stuff like this common in youth hockey? Helmet vent color seems so far out of the realm of importance and sends the wrong message to literally everyone involved. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Between the team “taking a year off for politics,”  and the new coach thinking he’s the Lou Lamoriello of hockey for preteens,  no wonder kids just want to play the fortnight and not do sports. Adults are the worst and ruin everything.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 8:08 PM, Rhart088 said:

Before heads explode I KNOW that painting a helmet is dumb and weakens the plastic and comes off and looks terrible. And I already contacted Bauer and they will not sell just the vents

This is why I ask. My little guy who is 10 plays rep hockey non contact. Well his regular team due to politics will be taking a year off to move leagues. Due to his regular team colors being Navy and powder blue will not work with the Black and Orange of the team he is playing for this season. Luckily he has a black Bauer Re-akt 75 in all black that we bought this summer for ball hockey. But the coach prefers the vents on the helmet to be orange. Well as he already owns 2 $160 helmets buying a 3rd is just not something I want to do.

Sooooooo I was wondering if there was a way to paint the vents orange. I bought some 3M vinyl which works but it's a pain. I was thinking Orange krylon fusion and super light coats. 

Take it to someone who does air brushing, have them mask and paint the events and coat it with an acrylic so it will last and not chip. Should be quite cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Take it to someone who does air brushing, have them mask and paint the events and coat it with an acrylic so it will last and not chip. Should be quite cheap. 

How about not ruin a perfectly good helmet and void all warranty and or protection standard for a 10 year old. 

A you need is something going wrong and the plastic getting weak and some stupid person taking a slap shot and hitting the kid on the head.... 

 

You may laugh and say BS... it happened.  Kid got a puck in the forehead and the paint caused the plastic to go soft.  Lucky only a few cuts and a concussion.  

 

Dont paint helmets...please

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 10:59 AM, start_today said:

Is stuff like this common in youth hockey? Helmet vent color seems so far out of the realm of importance and sends the wrong message to literally everyone involved. 

If I can, I'm keeping my kid out of rep hockey exactly for reasons like this. My buddy has a daughter in Ringette with the exact same shit, odd Helmet color, vent color, colored laces, black only gloves, etc.

Edited by Giltis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×