Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjtt99

Would red netting increase scoring?

well they are playing with white nets for like hundrets of years.. so why should it get changed?

It's worth a try.

Sometimes when I go down the left side, I can only see the goalie in that split second I look up. That's why I can hit the goalie 100% of the time. :lol:

But a red netting would give me clues where the holes are. If I can't see red I got no shot...but then I switch to the puck's view and see if I got a shot ... usually that doesn't work either. :(

I never understood goalies with brightly colored pads! If I were a goalie, I would get a dull gray/while set of pads with some mottling to have them blend into the dull white background of the net!

Very interesting idea......it seems like it would actually work. Definitely worth a try.

originally, i thought red netting was retarted, but the more i think about it, the more it makes sense, i say try it out, somewhere....

Here is a case where someone believes if you make the netting red it's easier to see, therefore there will be more scoring. Interesting. A pic is part of the article.

http://www.thn.com/en/headlines/detail.asp...at=954945254360

Cheers,

JJ

I read that article (or perhaps the suggestion of the red netting) and the premise is actually somewhat interesting. Essentially, it's easier to see where to shoot at (the white netting blends in with the boards - essentially the red netting would be like a highlighter telling the shooter everywhere that the goalie is not).

But a red netting would give me clues where the holes are. If I can't see red I got no shot...

Yep, that's pretty much what they're figuring.

Regardless, I personally think it's not that bad an idea. I mean, it's simple, costs little, and doesn't change the real game at all. OF COURSE, it only takes a smart goalie to realize they can just get red pads to take away part of the advantage, and teams whose jerseys match the netting color (like the Red Wings) might be able to get a slight advantage as well.

WHICH... brings us to our next topic:

I never understood goalies with brightly colored pads! If I were a goalie, I would get a dull gray/while set of pads with some mottling to have them blend into the dull white background of the net!

Patrick Roy understood that concept. He made a big splash when he got those "mirage" pads where the outside edge was black, but the inside was white, giving the perception that he had a larger 5-hole going than he really did.

I don't know about the bit where they'd change the post colours, especially to a grey or something. If red, orange and yellow are the colours that catch the eye, why not keep the red posts and add yellow or orange netting (soccer nets use different colour mesh with no complaints)? That would keep the traditionalists happy... and still be an interesting comparison vs. white mesh.

I don't know about the bit where they'd change the post colours, especially to a grey or something. If red, orange and yellow are the colours that catch the eye, why not keep the red posts and add yellow or orange netting (soccer nets use different colour mesh with no complaints)? That would keep the traditionalists happy... and still be an interesting comparison vs. white mesh.

like the outdor soccer goals with white posts and brght orange nets?

I think red would be harder to see through (mostly perception). So if you are trying to look from the front to someone behind the net, you would have a harder time since the white net matches the boards usually and any contrast is a person (thier stick etc).

I think a red net would be harder to see the puck inside the net from behind as well so anyone behind the net (like a camera) showing the puck, the contrast with the white net would not be there.

If they want more scoring they should get what they have in my req leauge. A bunch of defensemen who don't work together and give the puck up alot ;)

More scoring would be nice the thing is it makes records less meaningful.

If they want more scoring there are plenty of things they can change that would affect scoring and the statistics are far more predictable

1) call more penalties

2) taller or wider net

3) reduce size limit on goalie pads

4) Get rid of 2 line pass rule (make a 3 line pass rule :) )

5) Start the first 5 minutes of the period with an open net

6) Each team gets 1 penalty shot at the end of every period

7) Goalie gets a whiffleball bat instead of a stick

Why all the changes???

They had white nets back in the 80's and not many skilled players from overseas.

The problem is trap hockey and the mind set that goes with it.

Why all the changes???

They had white nets back in the 80's and not many skilled players from overseas.

You want to see teams open it up? All tiebreakers decided by total goals scored in the regular season.

wow, im old school in my ways and love tradition, but i was on the ice this morning and wow that red net with grey posts was really easier on my eyes than the traditional style

Call the holding and all the crap that goes on behind the scenes. I dont care if their is 40 plus calls a game for a bit. As time moves on players will get it.

Make guys accountable for their actions and ditch 3rd man in. This will get ugly for a bit as well but will put the Ruutu's of the world out of business.

For me its all mind set. This makes changing the game very hard.

ditto on ditching 3rd man in.

I personally hate brawls and feel it brings the level of playing down.

Goons have no value in international Olympic hockey and thats one reason we (US) are being held back.

Why all the changes???

You want to see teams open it up? All tiebreakers decided by total goals scored in the regular season.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Unfortunately, if the teams that use the traps are good, they won't be worrying about scoring because thier trap works well. <_<

Why all the changes???

I was thinking the exact same thing. Unfortunately, if the teams that use the traps are good, they won't be worrying about scoring because thier trap works well. <_<

Without a radical shift in enforcement like Ponty described, something I am in favor of, it may be the most gentle way to encourage teams to open it up.

Why all the changes???

Without a radical shift in enforcement like Ponty described, something I am in favor of, it may be the most gentle way to encourage teams to open it up.

I would be pretty psyched if the NHL started calling penalties the same way the refs were in the Eastern bracket games for the NCAA. I don't know if it was because it got opened up that it was exciting, but all the games I watched, I really enjoyed.