Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Underrated bands

I absolutely love music. And my tastes are all over the map. To me, good music is good music, whether it's disco or metal or funk or classical or whatever. I know it's subjective, but what I'm asking is tell me some bands I might not know about but who you feel the average person would ask, "Hey, who's that?" When I used to DJ, I knew certain songs had a universal appeal, which is not necessarily the same thing as commercial appeal.

I'll give you two comtempory bands who are more unknown than underrated, then I'll give you two older bands who were underrated, which I admittedly wrote about in the guitarists thread.

Grandaddy - Unique guitar style. Creative and melodic songwriting.

Los Lonely Boys - Everybody knows "Heaven" but the CD solid, from rockers to blues to acoustic songs. "Dime Mi Amor" "Onda" "Real Emotion"

Big Country and Thin Lizzy - I need to preface this by saying they wouldn't quite be universally appealing, but for anybody who likes harder rock with melody, you really should check out these two bands, particularly their live albums. They both have double-guitar attacks, strong drumbeats, heavy bass lines, political lyrics. Yet the music has melody. Big Country has an all-acoustic album and when the soaring guitars are stripped away, but the songs still sound great, you realize that the songs are really well written.

I was visiting a buddy who knows his music, so I pulled out my laptop which had about twenty songs each from the two bands. I started playing about thirty seconds of each song and asked him who the band was. Finally, I got to "The Boys Are Back In Town" and he asked, "Those were all Thin Lizzy?" Same thing with Big Country until I got to "In A Big Country" Then he said, "Man, those songs were really good. Why have I never heard any of those songs before?"

Well, we all know the answer is because radio stinks! So, tell me, what band should I know about that I might not?

This is like the OMG list the hardcore underground bands you listen to thread. I'll play..

The Blood Brothers, Circa Survive, Saosin, The Snake the Cross the Crown, Chiodos (used to be Chiodos Brothers), Death from Above 1979, Anadivine, Gatsbys American Dream, The Rocket Summer, Fear Before the March of Flames, Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer, The Appleseed Class, Every Time I Die.

Out of all of those, I would suggest Saosin, Chiodos and Circa Survive.

Those 3 bands > any other band.

Imogen Heap, Ludo (local BC band, PM or email me if you want a sample of their music)

Dangles - Imogen Heap is a great band. They were on the OC for the finale though, they're making it up through the ranks.

i dunno if anyones heard of them, but something corporates an amazing band, which if it wasn't for my friend, i'd never of heard of them. one listen to their song 'konstantine' and you'll be hooked

Dangles - Imogen Heap is a great band. They were on the OC for the finale though, they're making it up through the ranks.

That's where I first heard them. "Hide and Seek" was playing when Marissa shot Trey.

Alkaline Trio kicks a lot of ass and just dropped a new cd. They're a little more well known then some of the other bands being said here though.

streetheart ,triumph ,platinum blonde ,harlequin ,dokken ,pretty much any canadian band ,tsunami bomb ,agent orange and the casualties are some pretty good punk bands

FYI, Imogen heap is a person, lead singer from Frou Frou specficially. Looks like I'm more underground/indie/emoed out than all of you. :D

FYI, Imogen heap is a person, lead singer from Frou Frou specficially. Looks like I'm more underground/indie/emoed out than all of you. :D

I guess I'm corrected, then. At least I've got another underground/indie/emoed outer to keep me company, though :P .

Obviously you knew more about him ( or is it a her? ) than we do.

Its a her, some of my personal favorites:

Anberlin - Readyfuels might be the sickest song ever.

Copeland - nearly all of their stuff is top notch, especially Take Care, When Paula Sparks, etc.

Belle and Sebastian - Weird sound, ton of great songs.

Imogen Heap - Goodnight and Go, Lyrics are not quite heterosexual but her voice is so damn mesmerizing.

Death Cab/Postal Service - Best sounds in this genre IMO, lyrics, music, vocals are all awesome.

Interpol, Louis XIV, Mars Volta, Rufio, The Shins and Straylight Run among others.