Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Underrated bands

Well, we all know the answer is because radio stinks!

That's because people get fired for programming their own show. My boss threatened me several times and actually did it once. Of course he hired me back just before the Arbitron ratings period.

So, tell me, what band should I know about that I might not?

Eric Gales Band - very SRV/Jimi sounding. I only have the first two discs and the first one is better

Brother Cane - Great group of guys, some very good stuff beyond the songs that were played on the air.

Deep Jimi and the Zep Creams - Very screwed up band from Iceland but they have some good grooves. English isn't their primary language and it shows in some of the lyrics.

Badlees - A little more laid back than the other stuff. They're from my area and got screwed around by the label mergers in the mid-late 90's.

Urge Overkill - Not as popular as they should be. Sister Havana is still one of my all time favorites.

Dream Theater - A bunch of their fans here on MSH. Everyone in the band is a fantastic musician.

Ben Kaplan - Ok, I'm a little biased on this one as I did some of the studio work when he recorded the CD. It's very diverse with everything from country to borderline new age to bluesy romps, yet it all fits together.

the mars volta

At The Drive In was better though.

i loved at the drive-in, but holy hell, the mars volta are musically leaps and bounds better than atdi. but its all personal preference i guess.

I am an OAR fan

My brother's band used to cover "Crazy Game of Poker"...first time I'd ever heard of them. I think NBC is using that for their Hold 'Em coverage.

Belle and Sebastian, Postal Service, Interpol, Mars Volta, The Shins

I haven't heard a lot of songs by these bands on XM Radio, but what I have heard is good. Plus OAR that someone mentioned.

Interpol particularly has unique, driving sound.

Notice I had to say XM Radio, because it sure as heck isn't playing on any Clear Channel stations.

I'll second Belle and Sebastian, and add Tortoise, Sigur Ros, Dave Aude,

And for the punk guys... Dead Kennedys (who you should know, if youre a punk fan anyway), Dead Milkmen, MDC, Rites of Spring, and Minor Threat

And on a little aside, I'd like to nominate Sugar Ray's album (the one with Fly on it) for one of the best hard rock albums ever

right now im listening to these bands/people a lot-kings of leon, m83, dntel(if you like ps, or dcfc), action action, nick drake, damien rice, the streets, dizzie rascal, doves, texas is the reason, pinback

This is like the OMG list the hardcore underground bands you listen to thread. I'll play..

The Blood Brothers, Circa Survive, Saosin, The Snake the Cross the Crown, Chiodos (used to be Chiodos Brothers), Death from Above 1979, Anadivine, Gatsbys American Dream, The Rocket Summer, Fear Before the March of Flames, Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer, The Appleseed Class, Every Time I Die.

Out of all of those, I would suggest Saosin, Chiodos and Circa Survive.

Those 3 bands > any other band.

other than ETID that's a really good list.

I'll bite also.

circle takes the square, good clean fun, 1905, love lost but not forgotten, folly, the hold steady, shockwave, joshua fit for battle, atom and his package, madvillain, ted leo and the pharmacists, hot cross, saetia, mclusky, bane(I'm sure there's some people who haven't heard of them), casey jones, the decemberists, light the fuse and run.

I'm sure I'll remember more and probably update.

But listen to them now, thank me later.

these guys just are a band from my school but they're hilarious ...here's some sample songs

That reminds me of a friend who had a band with his brother and friends in high school. All the songs were good musically but they were tongue-in-cheek sexual, like "I Want To Climb Your Mountains Of Love" or "You Butter My Popcorn."

I was over his house for a BBQ and he pops in a tape from his 10th Year Reunion where the Derrick Singer Band got back together. It was amazing. This is the guy I know as prematurely bald, glasses, tucked-in shirts, reserved. And there he was on stage, shirtless, with a rainbow colored afro wig and fire in his eyes.

Maybe even the funniest part is his brother visited him, so they sat down to write new songs. He said his brother threw down the pen and said, "Man, I've been trying to come up with a rhyme for mammory for five minutes now, and the only one I can thing of is Camry....."

Alexisonfire(great backup vocals, guitar), DFO 1979(starting to get coverage on Much) and Avenged Sevenfold.

They aren't really underappreciated, but my favorite band has to be Hatebreed. Trying to convince somebody that doesn't listen to hardcore music to listen to a band called Hatebreed is nothing if not futile. However, if you can convince somebody to listen to them, they will see the true beauty that lies within their lyrics. They aren't all about kicking someones ass or worshiping Satan, but care more about self worth and self esteem. Two years ago, I had my ex-girlfriend listen to "I Will Be Heard" from the CD "Perseverance". It moved her to tears. If nothing else, I strongly recommend that you at least listen to that song, and look at its lyrics. After listening to this band, I find that I am not nearly as depressed as I used to be and have much more confidence in who I am, and why I am here. "I will be heard" is as close to a religious experience as I have ever had outside of church.

This is like the OMG list the hardcore underground bands you listen to thread. I'll play..

The Blood Brothers, Circa Survive, Saosin, The Snake the Cross the Crown, Chiodos (used to be Chiodos Brothers), Death from Above 1979, Anadivine, Gatsbys American Dream, The Rocket Summer, Fear Before the March of Flames, Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer, The Appleseed Class,  Every Time I Die.

Out of all of those, I would suggest Saosin, Chiodos and Circa Survive.

Those 3 bands > any other band.

other than ETID that's a really good list.

I'll bite also.

circle takes the square, good clean fun, 1905, love lost but not forgotten, folly, the hold steady, shockwave, joshua fit for battle, atom and his package, madvillain, ted leo and the pharmacists, hot cross, saetia, mclusky, bane(I'm sure there's some people who haven't heard of them), casey jones, the decemberists, light the fuse and run.

I'm sure I'll remember more and probably update.

But listen to them now, thank me later.

Other than Saetia, that's a good list ;) :D .

The Decemberists are one of my favorite bands, good call.

The Used and Thousand Foot Krutch are both really good that hardly anyone I know has heard of..especially TFK

The Used? Wow, you are wrong there. I know so many people that love the Used, including myself. I don't think I would include them in this category

The Used and Thousand Foot Krutch are both really good that hardly anyone I know has heard of..especially TFK

The Used? Wow, you are wrong there. I know so many people that love the Used, including myself. I don't think I would include them in this category

The Used deffinatly arnt underrated. alot of people here like the too.

I started this thread and it's more interesting than I imagined. I can't tell if there's a generational gap or a regional gap.

I listen to the radio all day long, generally to alternative rock, so you would think I hear the newer music, but I have to admit I've only recognized about 15% of the bands listed. I know different parts of the country play different styles/bands, but where are you guys hearing these bands? Are they on college radio?

All I can say is I've had my bubble burst that I know my music... :)

I started this thread and it's more interesting than I imagined. I can't tell if there's a generational gap or a regional gap.

I listen to the radio all day long, generally to alternative rock, so you would think I hear the newer music, but I have to admit I've only recognized about 15% of the bands listed. I know different parts of the country play different styles/bands, but where are you guys hearing these bands? Are they on college radio?

All I can say is I've had my bubble burst that I know my music... :)

Well some of these bands arent even on the radio at all. Alexisonfire doesnt get any radio time because they are "different" but Muchmusic is helping them out a ton and giving them lots of video time. They have some of the best videos out there.

Alkaline Trio is freakin amazing, been a fan since their album "Goddammit", and they're new album is awesome!

Silverstein, Comeback Kid, Bayside and Saosin are all great bands as well.

Wow, i have listened to almost all of the bands listed so far. Heres my list of bands that you guys should check out: Your Last Collapse(my new favorite band), a dead giveaway, a step behind, dose of adolescence, glasseater, in memory, underoath(they might be bigger in your area), and finally Rise Against--they might also be bigger in your area.

Rise against is unreal... lots of people listen to them here. "Swing life away" is one of our grad songs.

im more acoustic guitar type stuff but

Donavon Frankenreiter

Matt Wertz- John Mayer like

Graham Colton Band

Martin Sexton

some of these might be popular im not sure

Here are some of the bands who I think fall into this catagory: Life of Agony, The Clarks, Northern State (Think Beastie Boys with Breasts), Big L (Deceased Rapper)

Older Acts that I think were underrated: Arcadia, The Power Station and The Boomtown Rats