Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deerok

Relocation to the NYC

Hello all,

Just wondering who plays ice hockey in Manhattan and what other places (besides Chelsea Piers) are there to play. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Shute,

yeah I am hopeful. I checked put Chelsea Piers and was impressed with the facilities. Price is the main issue, but if I have no other choice, than I can wait for the lakes to freeze : )

if you have a car theres always queens and long island. If not the LIRR and the subway could be an option. I know the isles practice rink in syosset, ice works, I believe is right down the road from the LIRR. its probably like a 45 minute trip in on the train from penn station.

http://www.skateny.com/

This site pretty much covers it. Only rink they don't really mention is the ice hutch in mount vernon.

I play at Chelsea, and yes, they should be ashamed of themselves for the prices they charge. For the prices I pay to play at that rink, I could undoubtedly get myself a car and play at a cheaper, better rink. They just take gross advantage of having a monopoly of sorts in this city.

Thanks everybody. I think WSA is where a buddy of mine teaches powerskating. I will definitely check out a few of the other rinks when I am out there.

You can take the long island railroad to Long Beach (50-60 minutes) then a 10 minute walk from there to Long Beach Arena also. Long Island is def the way to go. Plenty of rinks out here and it won't cost you the chelsea prices. Not to mention you can park on long island!

About 30 min north of NYC..depending on where in Manhattan you are,etc..just north of the Tappan Zee..palisades ice center at the Palisades Center Mall has some good skates.in the summer all the college kids are back..so it is a good pace...Murray's is the rink in Yonkers...just off 287 I think..outdoor rink in White Plains..not sure what they have for adult leagues..

lots of stuff in the 'burbs and surrounding areas if you have a car..we have some guys that come from NYC to skate with our Terminal Hockey Group...www.terminalhockey.com for more info we have skates in Rockland, NY and Wayne, NJ

For Long Island leagues check out hockeyli.com and islandicehockey.com. Both are good leagues that are in Nassau County. In the 5 Borough's the only place to play Ice is Chelsea. For Roller there are tons of leagues in the city that aren't anywhere as expensive as Chelsea's.

I won't have a car when I am there, so the train will be the way to go. Of course I have to factor in the cost of getting there and back (I would be living in lower Manhattan), and the league fees/pick up.

What about winter time outdoor rinks? Are there any pick up games at Wollman during the winter months?

not fully on topic but if you play roller at all The Center Circle in Rahway NJ is about 200m from the Rahway train station for NJ transit and only about 30min or so from Penn Station..just don't miss the 2AM back or you'll be sitting for a while...

as far as other ice...don't know with regards to trains etc..metro north runs from GCT to Westchester area...might see how that goes..about 30-45 min as well depending on local/express