Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ktang

Best hockey skaters?

This is related to gopens67's conditioning thread. Towards the end, we started talking about skaters in the NHL, like Niedermayer, Chimera, Kovalev, Fedorov, Bure, Afinogenov, etc.

So, which skaters stand out for you?

For me, they are:

Ugly buzz-saw chop strides, but very fast - Guerin, Koivu, and Kapanen

Quick starts, good agility and acceleration, but limited top-end speed - Kariya, St. Louis, Samsonov, Bure (pre knee injuries)

Quick starts and acceleration - same as above + Sakic, Forsberg, Naslund

Lateral movement forward - Fedorov, Sakic, Crosby, Leetch, Zubov, Zhitnik, Naslund

Lateral movement backward - Leetch, #2 on the Canucks (Swedish guy), Lidstrom

Long, smooth, "elegant" stride - Niedermayer, Coffey, Zubov, Zhitnik

Long, choppy stride - Jovanovski, Nash, Crosby, Gartner

Deepest knee bend - Kapanen, Coffey, Niedermayer, Crosby

Itty-bitty choppy starts, then long strides (almost too long) - Roenick

Best J-hook skidded turns - Nash, Gretzky, Naslund, Jagr

Spread legs wide, then glide laterally - Zubov, Zhitnik, Fleury, Makarov, Sullivan, Leetch

High top-end speed, but needs 3/4 of the rink to get there - Jovanovski

Curls - Jagr, Gretzky, Denis Savard, Forsberg

Stops - Yzerman pre-knee operation, Denis Savard, Gretzky, Ovechkin, Forsberg

Tight crossover turns - Housley, Bourque, Gretzky, St. Louis

Mid-range change-of-pace acceleration - Sakic, Forsberg, Lecavalier, Guerin

It's been so long since I've seen him that I'm forgetting his style, but I'm sure Orr would have to fit into the "effortless" category.

Except when he's flying through the air to your left..... ;)

ktang #2 on the Canucks would be Ohlund who you were refering to

Yup, there hasn't been hockey for so long that I forgot his name! I'm in the Vancouver area, too.

About Mario, he has a long, smooth stride when he needs it. He does a good stop along the LW boards, too.

About Kovalev, I think he does everything well, depending on what he needs at the time, but he doesn't have a signature skating skill. But I haven't seen too much of him, except for one time when he, as a Ranger, dangled himself into, and then out of, the offensive zone, not passing to anyone.

So a few more categories (feel free to add):

Best all-around and balance - Kovalev (?)

Best flowing hair - Guy Lafleur, when he had that mane, and Ron Duguay.

Easiest - Brett Hull, Lemieux

Slower, yet managed to carry the puck into the offensive zone - young Pierre Turgeon

No mention of Bret Hedican?

I haven't seen too much of Hedican. I have read about how fast he is, but not about how he gets to that speed.

How would you classify him?

What kind of skater was Mike Gartner?

I would say Gartner was an efficient skater. Very little wasted motion and very fast.

Lowest skater ever has got to be Ken Linesman. I was a big fan of Coffey skating style. Picture perfect.

ktang #2 on the Canucks would be Ohlund who you were refering to

Yup, there hasn't been hockey for so long that I forgot his name! I'm in the Vancouver area, too.

About Mario, he has a long, smooth stride when he needs it. He does a good stop along the LW boards, too.

About Kovalev, I think he does everything well, depending on what he needs at the time, but he doesn't have a signature skating skill. But I haven't seen too much of him, except for one time when he, as a Ranger, dangled himself into, and then out of, the offensive zone, not passing to anyone.

So a few more categories (feel free to add):

Best all-around and balance - Kovalev (?)

Easiest - Brett Hull, Lemieux

Slower, yet managed to carry the puck into the offensive zone - young Pierre Turgeon

I have to go with the Kovalev as the best all-arround skater, because he can do everything well, sharp turn-crossover-straight skating-pivot and he's so strong on his skates + he's by far the best skater with the puck...But like I said he's not in the category fastest IMO there's at least 50 guys faster than him on a 1 lap contest...

Fedorov is a pure skater too...

No mention of Bret Hedican?

I haven't seen too much of Hedican. I have read about how fast he is, but not about how he gets to that speed.

How would you classify him?

Hell, I don't know. I can barely skate myself.

His kids will be amazing, considering who his wife is. Good genes...

Good ol' Nifty, Rick Middleton, had flowing blonde locks.

He had great balance, also; he'd jump over a player's stick and keep in stride.

I love all the russian players so its hard for me to decide, but who do you guys think is the fastest russian skater? I'd definitely go with Bure for speed, because if you think about it he was a breakaway player. Fedorov and Kovalev seem to be more agile, because I always see them carrying the puck, kind of slow like but still very quick at the same time. A lot of the Slovakians are really quick too, like Palffy and Gaborik.