Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruin88

weight and speed

im scared that if i get too heavy ill get slower. im not that tall for my size(5'8'') so i want to make up for it with strong legs ,strong core and weight. im already 185 pounds and i want to hit 200 by the end of next year or even more if i grow another 2 or 3 inches which i should because i havent grown since 2 years ago and im only 14(15 next month though) anyways ,do you think that if i get heavier itll slow me down? thanks

im not too fatty actually ,my lower abs ar probably the only fatty spot on my body because the muscles in my hip flexors ,back and groin are too tight to develop lower abs so i gotta stretch liek crazy. but yeah i am a steam roller on the ice ,mainly lately though because i got new skates and my feet dont hurt anymore so im comfy and play much better. the 2nd last game of spring league i hit a guy from about the dot to the boards and an ambulance had to come because he got his skate blade stuck in the door jam and messed his knee up ,then the last game some guy was really ticking my team off cause he was being such a little hotshot but he was brutal and he was being cheap so i thought id rattle him....well i ended up taking a good run from about the top of the circle to the blueline because he was gettign ready to take a shot from the point ,I nailed him and he landed at the redline ,he ended up having a broken femur ,concussion and cracked hip or something and hes probably done for hockey ,i feal like toootal crap cause of it though but i got no penalty and he was my height so its not so bad. im gonna get him a cake and a card or something.

Another thing, if yuou have too much muscle it can get in your way.

im not trying to get very bulky. for my arms im just going to get strength until they start getting bulky ,then im gonna do maintenance and forget about more size and strength. i want as strong of a core as i can get without having a giant bulging 12 pack . my legs are already very big and strong so im probably just going to maintain the strength and size i have now for a while and maybe in a few years when im more developed and my knees are stronger ill go for more strength

im gonna get him a cake and a card or something.

:lol: I just laughed so hard, it was kinda funny to read.

Some funny situation:

"Hey, you cant play hockey anymore, im sorry.. *silence* But heeeey look what ive got here for you.. choclate cake ! Almost as neat as hockey. Oh, i gotta go now. See ya."

Some funny situation:

"Hey, you cant play hockey anymore, im sorry.. *silence* But heeeey look what ive got here for you.. choclate cake ! Almost as neat as hockey. Oh, i gotta go now. See ya."

well my coach said they could have amputated because it was like...shatttered and itll be very tough to fix and heal. so i told my mom id have to get him something really good if that was the case and she said no ,we'd mail a card and then stay away from him and his family ....i didnt get it for a while

Gain your weight in doing specific training for hockey...Squats-hockey lunges-sumo lunges-crossover step up...etc.

Don't focus your training on gaining weight. Focus your training to be a better hockey player and eat well.

Gain your weight in doing specific training for hockey...Squats-hockey lunges-sumo lunges-crossover step up...etc.

Don't focus your training on gaining weight. Focus your training to be a better hockey player and eat well.

Agreed Kovy

You already have enough mass in your body. So if more muscle comes as perks from doing plyos and squats and stuff, then great. If not, than you already have 185!

Agreed Kovy

You already have enough mass in your body. So if more muscle comes as perks from doing plyos and squats and stuff, then great. If not, than you already have 185!

exactly what I mean.

Agreed Kovy

exactly what I mean.

did you get my PM kov?

Some funny situation:

well my coach said they could have amputated because it was like...shatttered and itll be very tough to fix and heal. so i told my mom id have to get him something really good if that was the case and she said no ,we'd mail a card and then stay away from him and his family ....i didnt get it for a while

Do you know the kid?

On kid on my high school team got his femur broken 2 yrs ago in october. I wan't there but he probably deserved it though

If you get to 200, you will get tired quickly unless you maintain a pro level of conditioning. 185 is heavy for your height, even if it is all muscle. I would recommend bodyweight exercises more than weights, or doing lighter weights until you drop, like load up the bar with 45's and do as many squats as you can, things like that. Sounds like your strength is fine, don't lift for size. I would recommend learning then incorporating Olympic Lifts for low reps and bodyweight exercises. I wouldn't even lift for limit strength anymore, just explosion, agility, and endurance.

Agreed Kovy

exactly what I mean.

did you get my PM kov?

yes I read it. Thanks I'm gonna email them for some questions.

If you get to 200, you will get tired quickly unless you maintain a pro level of conditioning. 185 is heavy for your height, even if it is all muscle. I would recommend bodyweight exercises more than weights, or doing lighter weights until you drop, like load up the bar with 45's and do as many squats as you can, things like that. Sounds like your strength is fine, don't lift for size. I would recommend learning then incorporating Olympic Lifts for low reps and bodyweight exercises. I wouldn't even lift for limit strength anymore, just explosion, agility, and endurance.

Depends on where the weight is. I'm 5'10, 205-210 and don't have problems with getting tired or speed.

Depends on where the weight is. I'm 5'10, 205-210 and don't have problems with getting tired or speed.

Same here I'm 5'8 205 & have no problem with being tired or speed although like was previously mentioned it depends on where it is, I used to be a competitive bodybuilder

Hey Bruins.........im 14 - 5'10'' 185lbs. i dont have abs.. but im not fat. trust me...on the rink i wish i had stronger thighs...thats were all of my fat is. i dont pick up speed to quick becuase i dont have quick feet. but i love being able to through my weight into people . at our age, not many of us have this much weight.

just keep working out and it be 185lbs of muscle.

Its good, basically your generic leg workout. Another one I like is the one-legged dead lift. I use a 30/35 pound weight, probably best to start with 20/25. You take one weight in your right hand, touch to the floor in front of your right foot, bringing your left foot back straight. Your left foot should not touch the ground the entire set and your legs should stay relatively straight. After the set number of reps, switch legs and do the same. This focuses more on balance along with strength, and you'll find after a working this in you will be much stronger on your skates in off balance situations. ie) shooting off one foot with a guy on your back. :D