Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wickedwrister

Question for elite level players

yes it it reachable. Do things you never had done before, play the more you can(on ice), Shoot and stickhandle off ice. Train in the summer season. If you do that, you will find that a no talent player will become a talented one.

...It all depends on how much work you are willing to put into it. If you sit on your ass and daydream about how cool it would be to play Juniors/College/Pros, you're probably not going to go very far, if you go anywhere at all. However, if you bust your ass, you'll probably find that the extra effort you put into it will get you a little farther than you probably should have.

Take it one step at a time, though. Try to keep your focus on the task at hand (this season). Don't worry about what next season is going to bring; just do the work that is going to make you better for your team this year.

Don't be afraid to do some work at home, too. I know a lot of guys who shy away from doing any heavy working-out at home during the season, but, IMO, it's a must. Some guys think it's enough to be on the ice for 90 minutes/two hours every night, but it's really not. I'll shoot pucks for awhile after I get home from school everyday before having an early dinner and heading to practice. I usually get home from practice around 10:30. I'll hop on the stationary bike for about 45 minutes, then lift weights before eating some high-protein foods, showering, and going to sleep. I've noticed a very big jump in strength since I started getting serious about working-out toward the end of last season.

...It all depends on how much work you are willing to put into it.  If you sit on your ass and daydream about how cool it would be to play Juniors/College/Pros, you're probably not going to go very far, if you go anywhere at all.  However, if you bust your ass, you'll probably find that the extra effort you put into it will get you a little farther than you probably should have.

Take it one step at a time, though.  Try to keep your focus on the task at hand (this season).  Don't worry about what next season is going to bring; just do the work that is going to make you better for your team this year. 

Don't be afraid to do some work at home, too.  I know a lot of guys who shy away from doing any heavy working-out at home during the season, but, IMO, it's a must.  Some guys think it's enough to be on the ice for 90 minutes/two hours every night, but it's really not.  I'll shoot pucks for awhile after I get home from school everyday before having an early dinner and heading to practice.  I usually get home from practice around 10:30.  I'll hop on the stationary bike for about 45 minutes, then lift weights before eating some high-protein foods, showering, and going to sleep.  I've noticed a very big jump in strength since I started getting serious about working-out toward the end of last season.

Nice attitude, continue that way, at what time do you go to bed with that?

I try to do the same thing, but with more ice time possible, like go to the rink in the morning foir at least 90mins and I have a practice in the night. And to add, I always think about hockey,on how to improve my games, my techniques, my confidence and much more...

at what time do you go to bed with that?

Usually asleep by 1:00; some nights a little later. A small price to pay - and it isn't like my school work is suffering at all.

Ice time is definaltly an issue for me. Theres not to much of it 4-5 hours a week probably, because of the team Im on. I know the AA coach was looking at me this year but was turned off by my size (Im pretty small). As of now Im taking shots about 2-3 hours off ice a week, lifting 2-3 times a week, run 2-3 times per week and about 1-2 hours of stickhandling off ice per week. I thought this was alot...but after reading that it looks like Im gonna need as many off ice training hours as I can get. Kovy, Tiger....you have any suggestions on how many hours, times per week, etc I should be doing this stuff? What ever it may be I'm willing...

Ice time is definaltly an issue for me. Theres not to much of it 4-5 hours a week probably, because of the team Im on. I know the AA coach was looking at me this year but was turned off by my size (Im pretty small). As of now Im taking shots about 2-3 hours off ice a week, lifting 2-3 times a week, run 2-3 times per week and about 1-2 hours of stickhandling off ice per week. I thought this was alot...but after reading that it looks like Im gonna need as many off ice training hours as I can get. Kovy, Tiger....you have any suggestions on how many hours, times per week, etc I should be doing this stuff? What ever it may be I'm willing...

Good training, I suggest you substitue the run by another thing, because when you lift weight, shot puck and stickhandle and your ice time, you are doing your cardio and you don't nedd much more cardio training. At least that's what I do and I have a lot of cardio. PM if you need more tips or infos.

Don't do a lot of long distance running, as your body will sacrifice muscle mass for efficiency.

That's what I mean, you can do sprints and anaerobic. that's very good, but no long distance like you said

Go for intensity in your training, not duration.

Many people make the mistake that if some is good, more is better. However, we don't grow during exercise, we grow because of exercise. Having brief, yet intense exercise will stimulate your body to grow, as will three hour marathons, but the three hour marathons just put off the time your body will start to recover.