Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHIEF22

What would you do?

So here is my situation. As I have posted before, I want to learn to play the game. I had a learn to play clinic lined up and it got canceled due to lack of people. So now the league I am going to play in has started up. I thought I had a team to play for, but they didn't sign up to play, so now I don't. So I go see the rink manager today and he gives me a name of a person who has a team and is looking for players. Not knowing how to play didn't didn't bother me with the other team, because I knew a couple of guys and they all are first year players. So I guess my question to the vets is: How would you treat someone in my position if they were given your name as a place to play? I don't want to be a burden, but playing for a team with people who have played for a while will help me learn faster.

So thanks for letting me ramble and TIA for the advise..

It's a rec league - I would hope no one's going to turn their nose up at you just because it's your first time playing. If they do act like that, just ignore that and just work on learning the game.

Chief, what is at stake here really?

Nothing I would say. If you tell them the truth that your a rookie who wants to learn the game, and they accept that and let you in, just say "thank you" and get goin. If they say no, their loss.

I sure hope you're smart enough to not let this chance slip you by. Now go pick up that phone and make that call.

Cheers

Lilleman

in my experience as long as the league is not competitive, hockey players always treat the new guy with a lot of respect, especially if he hustles and really tries to learn the game. after playing in house league with new guys, everyone on the team always likes the newbie, as long as the newbie doesn't come into the game talking trash like he's king shit.

I'm in almost the exact same situation. Had a try-out with a friend, we decided to leave because of the situation and time frame. Had a Mens league lined up, league director decided to not return my calls. Now I'm going in as a single in a Juvenille league around here. Go for it, you'll make friends on the team and 95% of the team will be very supportive, just make them aware of your purposes and your golden.

Bring beer for after the game and just get to know everyone.

He's so right.

I did the same thing and it worked out very well.

The best advice I can give is know your limitations and be receptive to advice you get from teammates/linemates. On one of the first men's league teams I played on we had a couple of newbies. One of the guys didn't respect his limitations and would get upset if he came off for a pp or pk or at the end of a close game. He wasn't receptive to constructive criticism and fell out of favor with the guys. He soon stopped showing up. The other guy would pull himself off if he were on the ice when a pp or pk situation came up. He would ask questions and actually listen. He understood that he was still a little behind the rest of the team and worked to make himself better while at the same time making sure he was helping the team. He stuck around for the whole season and was well liked.

So I guess my question to the vets is: How would you treat someone in my position if they were given your name as a place to play? I don't want to be a burden, but playing for a team with people who have played for a while will help me learn faster.

I just played in my first I-League season this last couple of months and have an idea as to how you feel being a newbie. I have spent most of the early part of this year leaning to skate and working with a private coach to get me this far. So with that out of the way. Give the man a call and make sure you let him know that you're new and if anything offer to skate with them at a stick-n-puck. Do not let this opportunity pass you by.

Most of my team is ready for D-League and I am the slowest guy on the bench. I can't keep from having the puck stolen and I'm still learning how to play my positon (Right Wing). I have learned a lot from playing with the guys on my team and am always asking them to tell me what I did wrong of if they notice something that I should be doing. Sometimes they even answer those questions.

Most of us will never be a Modano, Zubov, Sakic, or Gretzky, and there are plenty of us who are just picking up the sport when these guys are thinking about how they're gonna spend their retirement years. It seems to me that in our area (Dallas) there are too few hockey players to too choosy to fill out a team. I'd like to think that most teams would be willing to give a new guy a chance so at the very least they don't have to skate all the shifts in a game.

Also, playing with guys who are better than you is a great way to learn things. I played in 2 drop-ins that were run by my coach. Most of the kids I skated with seemed to have been born with skates on and had an immunity to gravity and inertia. By playing against them I started learning things I could do that would at the very least inconvenience them when they tried to score.

My only regret...earlier this year during the lockout I had an opportunity to play drop-in with Modano, Zubov, Guerrin, and a few others. I didn't do it. Sure they would have schooled me, but at least I could have said I was on the ice with them.

Well first off, Thank You for all the advise. I finally got a chance to call the guy this morning, the rink manager gave me his work number. So I will wait to hear from him. He works for a state agency, and in Maine today they have a holiday, so I will hopefuly hear from him tomorrow.

Thanks again and I'll keep ya posted.

Show up on time. Little talk more action.

Listend to advice and try to implement it the best you can. Don't get upset if you do something wrong and someone yells at you. Spend extra time on your own either conditioning or working on your skating skills. Everyone will like you better if you pass it to them. That means passing it to them and actually aiming for them vs wiffing it off to the other team (I just hate that).

Bringing beer that is actually iced in a cooler, great idea to be liked :)

Winger I think is the easiest position to learn and usually that's where they'd put ya.

One way to gain support is if you are on the ice and your team gets a penalty, volunteer to swap out with another more experianced player. They'll know you are a team player. If the goalie gets a penalty, volunteer to sit in the box for him. Look him in the eye and say "I'll sit out for ya". That will gain some respect that you are again a team player.

No one likes the newbie that whines about ice time and brags about getting a goal in a game even though he gave up 4 by not playing his position.

Go play open or pickup hockey in addition to your league games. Nobody cares if you mess up there, and it will give you a chance to work on your skills and conditioning in a situation with no pressure.

Above all, don't let your ego get in the way. Don't be too proud to ask for advice, and when you're out there, go as hard as you can, don't stay out on your shifts too long, and hustle back on defense.

My beer-league team initiated our 3 rookies last year by making them sing karaoke at our post-game bar. Don't be afraid of a little humiliation, as long as it doesn't cross the line...

Sorry to dig this off page two, but I thought I would post an update. Got the call tonight from the guy who runs the team. He is all set - has enough skaters for now. I had a feeling from the first time I talked to him that he didn't feel like helping someone learn - bad vibe if you know what I mean.

But all is not lost. There is another league starting this Saturday. Plays early on Saturday and Sunday mornings. They pool players and pick teams from the pool, sounds like more of a rec league, more laid back. You evaluate your skills based on the other skaters around you and that is how they pool you. It also sounds like a better place to learn. So here goes..

Thanks again for the replies. And look out Crosby, cuz here I come.. LOL!!!

Late reply, but I find that most experienced players are really receptive to new players. When I first started playing ice, I had always held the belief that hockey players were a fraternity of tight knit guys that expected you to always be at their level. What I found was the complete opposite. It was obvious that I sucked, but there were always good players encouraging me to keep coming out so that I could improve my game...

I suppose there are two kinds of hockey players out there - those willing to help and that understand a new comer isn't going to light it up, and those that give hockey players a bad name and snub anyone that isn't as good as they are. Odds are though, that no matter where you play, there will always be at least one of the former around to help you along.

Good luck, enjoy the game, and welcome to the wonderful world of hockey!

thanks for teh update.... should be a good environment to learn in...everyone knows what they are in for... but your past situation... you definately should and did go for it and you would have been surprised how nice you would have been received once on teh team if they had room... too bad it didnt work out, but it seems you are ready to "start" again!!!

Ok update #2. I found a place to play. Got hooked up with a bunch of guys who play pick-up on Sunday nights. Last nite was my first game. What a rush!! They had me playing on wing. Felt a little out of sorts at first, but then thought about the advise I had read here, and things went better. Got to remember to keep my feet moving. Got a chance on a breakaway but the shot was REALLY weak and it was stopped. Thats the thing I need to work on - shooting and stick handling. But for the first time, I not going to get all worked up about it. My quote after I was done was "I can't belive I waited 38 years to do this". So thanks tons for the advise!!