Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buzz_LightBeer

Salming Stick

Mikeal Samuelsson has scored 4 goals in 4 games and currently leads the wings in that dept.

I watched parts of two Red Wings games last week, and I must say that Samuelsson is a smart player. He made nice passes, didn't try to force a play, played well defensively.

Either he's made a huge leap in the last two to three years, or he wasn't given enough consideration in the past by his former teams.

1. XN is a specific type, refinement, or variation of amorphous graphite (patented and trademarked)

2. XN is a brand name for amorphous graphite (trademarked)

Curiouser and curiouser.

I checked the Trademark database and XN has not been trademarked for any type of graphite material. (Actually, XN10 wasn't trademarked, either.)

However, Nippon Graphite Fiber Corporation trademarked 'amorphous carbonfiber'...."used for further industrial manufacturing but not for textile use."

And Liquidemetal Golf Corporation trademarked 'amorphous'....for "golf equipment, namely, golf balls, golf bags, golf club grips, and golf club shafts."

That's interesting, because those two are somewhat competitive uses, but they've both been registered.

Can you even patent something like "Graphite", or "Steel" or even "Beer" for that matter? It's the product itself getting patented? If so, then everytime a beer is brewed, some company has to pay a royalty? I'm confused. Sorry to make you explain all this Dave lol.

Excellent question. I'd like to point out that I have the patent on Beer in North America. I'm related to the guys who first popularized its over consumption and brought the technology from famine starved Ireland to North America.

So I'd like to have all of you send me a penny for every beer you ever drank on North American soil....or just buy me a beer and we'll call it even.

:rolleyes:

Can you even patent something like "Graphite", or "Steel" or even "Beer" for that matter? It's the product itself getting patented? If so, then everytime a beer is brewed, some company has to pay a royalty? I'm confused. Sorry to make you explain all this Dave lol.

Excellent question. I'd like to point out that I have the patent on Beer in North America. I'm related to the guys who first popularized its over consumption and brought the technology from famine starved Ireland to North America.

So I'd like to have all of you send me a penny for every beer you ever drank on North American soil....or just buy me a beer and we'll call it even.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, though, where can I find good information on curve patterns, Jason?

A few of my friends are asking. I know mine is something like an R9 or an RC9 or something.

It would be great if headquarters could put up some objective measurements on their site.

Sweden's website has drawings of the blades, but they're too small to be useful. I'll ask whether they can place pictures instead. However, as Chadd mentioned in a previous thread, one of the problems is a jig has to be created to make sure the angle of the camera is the same each time.

The RC9 is a Sakic clone, while the RC7 is a Modano clone. Those are 2004 pattern numbers.

In 2005, the numbers went to: 11 – Sakic, 21 – Modano, 41 – Sundin, 51 – Lidström.

For 2006 we'll be adding a 44 for Höglund; my understanding is it's similar to a Roenick.

Jason, is the 41-Sundin anywhere near the TPS Sundin retail or what is it? Do you have any curve in the Yzerman or let´s say any big mid-curve type? Coffey, McCarty, Brendl type?

I think I remember somebody mentioning you could not patent naturally occurring elements or things of that sort. I beleive it was RustyBender.

Naturally occurring elements are not patentable, as they are considered discoveries of nature. However, innumerable patents have been granted to naturally occurring *things* which have been discovered. When the Human Genome Project was in full swing the big biotechs were running computer programs that would analyze DNA sequences, compare them to big databases of genes, and make patent applications based on what were essentially loosely informed guesses as to what they do. I know because I worked at one of these companies writing some of those programs. Often these claims are made ludicrously broad so that the applicant is covered in a huge number of cases. If you saw some of the claims in some patents, you would laugh - they might cover male pattern baldness and breast cancer and lung cancer and ADHD, and whatever else the company was interested in. Companies would file 100s or 1000s of patents in the course of days. I have no idea how many of those patents were actually granted.

Patents have been granted on things like particular types of blood cells, or particular types of stem cells. Not cells which have been genetically modified, mind you (though this itself is controversial), but on cells which occur naturally in your body. Drug companies have bought the "rights" to license all discoveries from a particular country's plants and insects and microorganisms. Companies have applied for patents on genes believe to be related to breast cancer.

One more thing, the next time you go to the hospital, check the release forms carefully. There are often clauses granting the intellectual property rights that may derive from anything they happen to find in your body. The virus that made you sick could be patentable.

Jason, is the 41-Sundin anywhere near the TPS Sundin retail or what is it? Do you have any curve in the Yzerman or let´s say any big mid-curve type? Coffey, McCarty, Brendl type?

Chadd or Jimmy, you've seen our Sundin (Pro 6 on the TF1). How close is it the TPS Sundin?

Chadd or Jimmy, you've seen our Sundin (Pro 6 on the TF1). How close is it the TPS Sundin?

Not remotely close to a TPS Sundin retail. It's more like a TPS P13.

What´s the P13 like? Never heard of that one. So Salming doesn´t have any huge curves as it seems.....too bad. I actually convinced myself to try one out but that will stop me I guess :angry:

What´s the P13 like? Never heard of that one. So Salming doesn´t have any huge curves as it seems.....too bad. I actually convinced myself to try one out but that will stop me I guess :angry:

If Sakic isn't big enough for you, damn.

SR27, since you're in Europe you should try to find a shop carrying the TF Evolution, as they received the new model prior to us in North America.

I haven't seen the Höglund curve, but perhaps it is bigger.

Yes, that´s what I was planning. There was actually an online dealer over here that added Salming and Fury equipment to their line and promoting it with some nice prices but I can´t seem to find the website anymore. Problem with many "lower profile" manufacturers I think is that a Sakic clone will be the biggest curve you are likely to find in their sticks since they all have Easton in mind. To my likings the Sakic however is not deep enough and too open at the toe. So I´ll have to find out what pattern the Hoglund might be otherwise I´ll have to pass on the Evolution.

Yes, that´s what I was planning. There was actually an online dealer over here that added Salming and Fury equipment to their line and promoting it with some nice prices but I can´t seem to find the website anymore. Problem with many "lower profile" manufacturers I think is that a Sakic clone will be the biggest curve you are likely to find in their sticks since they all have Easton in mind. To my likings the Sakic however is not deep enough and too open at the toe. So I´ll have to find out what pattern the Hoglund might be otherwise I´ll have to pass on the Evolution.

Fury has a sakic clone that is a little bigger but it's also more open at the toe.

The fury curve is based on someones Pro isn't it? It resembled the P119 blade (Sakic Pro) I had, but I thought I heard it was based off Primeaus or Elias' pro curve.

What´s the P13 like? Never heard of that one. So Salming doesn´t have any huge curves as it seems.....too bad. I actually convinced myself to try one out but that will stop me I guess  :angry:

If Sakic isn't big enough for you, damn.

Well yeah,...It´s deep enough alright but too much heel, too open, to big at the toe...etc,...wrong lie as well. I just can´t use anything Sakic like. However Modano or Drury won´t do it for me as well. You see...I´m in a bit of a dilemma. :angry:

So Salming doesn´t have any huge curves as it seems.....too bad. I actually convinced myself to try one out but that will stop me I guess :angry:

That's because Swedes don't need "crutches". Lol

So Salming doesn´t have any huge curves as it seems.....too bad. I actually convinced myself to try one out but that will stop me I guess  :angry:

That's because Swedes don't need "crutches". Lol

I don´t know why 4 out of 5 Jofa patterns are huge mid-curves then. :huh:

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
XN is a material. The 10 is the level of strength. It was used by the Govt and was released for public use - from what I remember TPS has the right to use it in the sporting goods industry.

Has the right to use the actual name "XN10", that's all.

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
I think I remember somebody mentioning you could not patent naturally occurring elements or things of that sort. I beleive it was RustyBender.

It wasn't me but thanks for thinking it was. Makes me feel smart.

So, the real question here is what exactly is XN? Since amorphous graphite is naturally occuring, there are really only two possibilities that I can see:

1. XN is a specific type, refinement, or variation of amorphous graphite (patented and trademarked)

2. XN is a brand name for amorphous graphite (trademarked)

Either way, neither of these would prevent Salming from using amorphous graphite. They would only possibly prevent Salming form using XN.

If #1 is true, then the amorphous graphite in Salming sticks would be different than the amorphous graphite(XN) in TPS sticks.

If #2 is true, then Salming and TPS sticks would be using pretty much the same stuff.

There might be an option 3 or 4 but I can't think of one.

it is #1

So, according to Marcelo (Former Lville employee) "XN10" is a patented variation of "Amorphous graphite" and although he didn't mentioned who owned that patent, he did say, "Has the right to use the name XN10"..in the sporting goods industry. So, to me that means, as long as Salming does not use "XN10" then they would be in the clear with their "Amorphous Graphite" sticks...no?

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
So, according to Marcelo (Former Lville employee) "XN10" is a patented variation of "Amorphous graphite" and although he didn't mentioned who owned that patent,

My comment was more to "XN is a specific type, refinement, or variation of amorphous graphite."

Nothing more, nothing less, and please never mention me or my name in the same sentence as that company. Thank you.