Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael9

Team Canada

I'm starting to notice to common trends.

This may just be personal, but I don't like Crosby that much, so what makes him just excellent? He's proven himself at the WJHC but at the Olympic level playing against the best that each country has to offer?

The other one is Yzerman and Mario. I already explained Mario in my earlier post, but Yzerman? Are you putting him on 'your' roster just because it's the honourable thing to do?

That is quite the list.

I think phaneuf has proved himself internationally, he should be a contender for this team.

Crosby is a tough call, but also a possability.

As for Super Mario, definite shoe in. After that goal in 2002 where he let it go through his skates, he has to be there.

And i'm still feeling brodeur for the start.

Team I'd like to see (A lot of speed and talent):

Forwards:

Spezza Lecavalier Nash

Sakic Kariya Iginla

St. Louis Richards Gagne

Bertuzzi Thornton Heatley (big talented checking line that can also score)

Spare forwards in case of injurty: Tanguay, Sullivan Briere Bergeron (any of these guys could fill in on one of the scoring lines).

Yzerman and Lemieux are future hall of famers, but every forward on the list above would be more effective in 2006 in my opinion as both Yzerman and Lemieux are getting up there in years.

Defence:

Aucoin Blake

Bouwmester Boyle

Redden Niedermeyer

Jackman Jovanovski

Goal:

Luongo

Broduer

Theodore or Turco (that's a toss up - the top 2 should be a given)

I'd also like to note that I think it's ridiculous that Ribeiro was not on the list of 81 - he hasn't had a strong start, but still has 5 points and he led the Canadiens in scoring that last regular season. I do not think he deserves to make the final team at this point, but while he's not the toughest guy out there, his skill level is higher than several other named in my opinion, but that might just be my Canadiens fan biase. Although you'll not that I don't inlcude Ryder or Souray on the team even though they were named to the 81 as I don't think they should be in the top 23. Ribeiro wouldn't be top 23 either...but I think he should've been in the top 81.

You've seen the team I'd like to see picked. I think it's more likely we'll see something like this:

Sakic Lemieux Iginla

Nash Lecavalier Gagne

Heatley Thornton Bertuzzi

Draper Doan Smyth

Blake Foote

Hannan Pronger

Redden Stuart

Nedermeyier Pronger

Goal:

Broduer

Luongo

Theodore

Either team could be successful, but I'd go with the faster, more skilled and youthful team in their prime. The second team would be tougher and more experienced, but also slower and not quite as skilled. Team Canada seems to pick a lot of guys based on toughness grit and experienced....which are important, but I'd lean toward having a few experienced guys and a little bit of toughness on the fastest, most talented team you can put together. I'd rather watch team Canada run and gun and win than watch them grind down other teams or shut them down offensively. Canada has the raw skill to take on anyone in a wide open game if they pick the right players.

I'd also like to note that I think it's ridiculous that Ribeiro was not on the list of 81 - he hasn't had a strong start, but still has 5 points and he led the Canadiens in scoring that last regular season. I do not think he deserves to make the final team at this point, but while he's not the toughest guy out there, his skill level is higher than several other named in my opinion, but that might just be my Canadiens fan biase.

Ribeiro cannot add nearly as much as the players on the list. The ones who don't produce as well as he does, contribute in many more ways than on the scoreboard. He doesn't.

I'd also like to note that I think it's ridiculous that Ribeiro was not on the list of 81 - he hasn't had a strong start, but still has 5 points and he led the Canadiens in scoring that last regular season. I do not think he deserves to make the final team at this point, but while he's not the toughest guy out there, his skill level is higher than several other named in my opinion, but that might just be my Canadiens fan biase.

Ribeiro cannot add nearly as much as the players on the list. The ones who don't produce as well as he does, contribute in many more ways than on the scoreboard. He doesn't.

If he's in any Olympic event he should be in the one meter springboard.

just because yzerman and lemieux may not be as speedy as others, doesn't mean they can't be effective on the team. they're there to be paired with speedy forwards, to help slow the game down in the offensive end and set up a play. with the bigger ice, a team needs someone with the vision of lemieux to move the puck, because skating that whole distance is absurd. i also think yzerman could be effective in a grinder role, as he's not afraid of corners or the front of the net.

The worst team canada could ice would be (IMO)

Maltby - Nieuwendyk - Bouchard

Lupal - horcoff - J. Carter

walz - Niedermayer - morrow

Choinard - Walker - Stall

Boyton - Regehr

Mclaren - Dejardins

Staios - Phillips

Clouiter

Ward

the team would still have a fairley good chance of winning

The worst team canada could ice would be (IMO)

Maltby - Nieuwendyk - Bouchard

Lupal - horcoff - J. Carter

walz - Niedermayer - morrow

Choinard - Walker - Stall

Boyton - Regehr

Mclaren - Dejardins

Staios - Phillips

Clouiter

Ward

the team would still have a fairley good chance of winning

Morrow is on the big team boys, no worries about him slipping down, Gretzky and Hockey Canada love him.

Whoever had Richards ahead of Thornton, Heater is all over the place.

This is my roster, it seemed to work last time around:

Jay Bouwmeester L/G 6' 4 " 218 09/27/83 Edmonton, AB Florida Panthers

2 Eric Brewer L/G 6' 3" 220 04/17/79 Kamloops, BC Edmonton Oilers

52 Adam Foote R/D 6' 2" 220 07/10/71 Whitby, ON Colorado Avalanche

23 Scott Hannan L/G 6' 1" 220 01/23/79 Richmond, BC San José Sharks

55 Ed Jovanovski L/G 6' 2" 210 06/26/76 Windsor, ON Vancouver Canucks

27 Scott Niedermayer L/G 6' 1" 200 08/31/73 Cranbrook, BC New Jersey Devils

6 Wade Redden L/G 6’ 2" 212 06/12/77 Lloydminster, SK Ottawa Senators

28 Robyn Regehr L/G 6’ 3" 226 04/19/80 Rosthern, SK Calgary Flames

Forwards/Avants

9 Shane Doan R/D 6’ 2" 216 10/10/76 Halkirk, AB Phoenix Coyotes

33 Kris Draper L/G 5’ 10" 190 05/24/71 Toronto, ON Detroit Red Wings

21 Simon Gagné L/G 6' 0" 195 02/29/80 Ste-Foy, QC Philadelphia Flyers

15 Dany Heatley L/G 6’ 3" 215 01/21/81 Calgary, AB Atlanta Thrashers

12 Jarome Iginla R/D 6' 1" 208 07/01/77 Edmonton, AB Calgary Flames

4 Vincent Lecavalier L/G 6' 4" 207 04/21/80 Ile Bizard, QC Tampa Bay Lightning

66 Mario Lemieux R/D 6' 4" 230 10/05/65 Montreal, QC Pittsburgh Penguins

18 Kirk Maltby R/D 6’0" 200 12/22/72 Guelph, ON Detroit Red Wings

22 Patrick Marleau L/G 6’ 2" 220 09/15/79 Aneroid, SK San Jose Sharks

10 Brenden Morrow L/G 5’ 11" 210 01/16/79 Carlyle, SK Dallas Stars

39 Brad Richards L/G 6’ 1" 198 05/02/80 Murray Harbour, PEI Tampa Bay Lightning

91 Joe Sakic L/G 5' 11" 195 07/07/69 Burnaby, BC Colorado Avalanche

94 Ryan Smyth L/G 6' 1" 190 02/21/76 Banff, AB Edmonton Oilers

26 Martin St. Louis L/G 5’ 9" 185 06/18/75 Laval, QC Tampa Bay Lightning

97 Joe Thornton

Picking the team right now from past play and current play, I'd go with

Mario - Sakic - Iggy

Bertuzzi - Lecavalier - Nash

Kariya - Thornton - Heatley

Doan - Draper - Morrow

Pronger - Blake

Bow - Redden

McCabe - Jackman

Luongo

Raycroft

extras: Phaneuf, Brodeur, Crosby

Yea I can see how you'd want Bouwmeester, McCabe and Jackman (wtf) instead of Niedermayer, Jovanoski, and Foote. Anyone that wants to cut Adam Foote is insane, the man was born to play for Team Canada.

Team I'd like to see (A lot of speed and talent):

Forwards:

Spezza Lecavalier Nash

Sakic Kariya Iginla

St. Louis Richards Gagne

Bertuzzi Thornton Heatley (big talented checking line that can also score)

Spare forwards in case of injurty: Tanguay, Sullivan Briere Bergeron (any of these guys could fill in on one of the scoring lines).

Yzerman and Lemieux are future hall of famers, but every forward on the list above would be more effective in 2006 in my opinion as both Yzerman and Lemieux are getting up there in years.

Defence:

Aucoin Blake

Bouwmester Boyle

Redden Niedermeyer

Jackman Jovanovski

Goal:

Luongo

Broduer

Theodore or Turco (that's a toss up - the top 2 should be a given)

I'd also like to note that I think it's ridiculous that Ribeiro was not on the list of 81 - he hasn't had a strong start, but still has 5 points and he led the Canadiens in scoring that last regular season. I do not think he deserves to make the final team at this point, but while he's not the toughest guy out there, his skill level is higher than several other named in my opinion, but that might just be my Canadiens fan biase. Although you'll not that I don't inlcude Ryder or Souray on the team even though they were named to the 81 as I don't think they should be in the top 23. Ribeiro wouldn't be top 23 either...but I think he should've been in the top 81.

You've seen the team I'd like to see picked. I think it's more likely we'll see something like this:

Sakic Lemieux Iginla

Nash Lecavalier Gagne

Heatley Thornton Bertuzzi

Draper Doan Smyth

Blake Foote

Hannan Pronger

Redden Stuart

Nedermeyier Pronger

Goal:

Broduer

Luongo

Theodore

Either team could be successful, but I'd go with the faster, more skilled and youthful team in their prime. The second team would be tougher and more experienced, but also slower and not quite as skilled. Team Canada seems to pick a lot of guys based on toughness grit and experienced....which are important, but I'd lean toward having a few experienced guys and a little bit of toughness on the fastest, most talented team you can put together. I'd rather watch team Canada run and gun and win than watch them grind down other teams or shut them down offensively. Canada has the raw skill to take on anyone in a wide open game if they pick the right players.

You do realize that your big talented checking line is about the worst checking line ever dreamt up right??? Heatley can't play defence, and I don't actually think Bert even knows what defence is. I watch todd 82 times a year and the guy is definitely a defensive liability, why do you think he rarely plays against other top lines.

Their all big, so it leads alot of people to think they are good checkers. I personally have never seen Heatley throw a check. Not saying he doesn't, I don't watch him alot, but I've never seen it. The guy is Canadian, with no teeth and all I keep hearing is he's a tough talented player. Talented, obviously, I haven't seen the toughness yet though.

I thought Heatley was always considered a descent player in the defensive zone, but I can't say I watch him much.

Lindros continues to make a case...7 goals

Lindros is one good hit away from retirement. If the NHL eventually gets back to tough physical hockey instead of the boring shinny games they're playing now his production will tail right off.

guess I missed the memo. So to conclude, Lindros has concussion problems? This should exclude him from team Canada because they never expect to have anyone injured and cannot risk it?

how can you say they play shinny hockey?? i think it the way it should be play...f*ck all these bullsh*t(all these holding,fighting,cross-check,slashing etc..)...seriously i was 5 month ago bantam(13-14yr) and i was 6'1 185 pound...and i'm freaking sick of playing for some stupid coach that only whant me to play the man...DAMN I WHANT TO PLAY HOCKEY NOT WRESTLING

Personally, i would have liked that everybody boycot the NHL for a certain time...because of what they did to us(fans) but the game is pretty good so i can't even myselft boycot them..

I share your sentiments cobra. I hate when coaches try and tell me to deliberately break the rulebook just because the referees don't call it. Interference isn't meant to be part of hockey.

I thought Heatley was always considered a descent player in the defensive zone, but I can't say I watch him much.

Lindros continues to make a case...7 goals

Lindros is one good hit away from retirement. If the NHL eventually gets back to tough physical hockey instead of the boring shinny games they're playing now his production will tail right off.

One hit away...When did I hear that before? 2 concussions ago when he first got traded.

Lindros' past still scares me when it comes to him getting hit. If he does indeed get laid out big and suffers another concussion, I wouldn't be surprised to see him call it quits.

That said, he is playing some marvellous hockey, and I would love to see him regain his once dominant form. I wonder if the extra space the new rules afford him has made him less tentative about high traffic situations...I'm rooting for him.

As for "boring shinny," there is no way this NHL is any more boring than it was before the lockout. The game has regained its jacked up pace, and there's still room for hits and fights. I love it.