Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjtt99

Hazing

theres only one hazing ritual that im agreeable on. all the rookies are put into a room with a crazy amount of alcohol and they cant leave until its all gone. ive heard of ones where the guys are put in the bathroom naked and told to get dressed. i dont think anythings wrong with it because hazings been going on for so long that this is the first time the medias actually seen it

I don't think the alcohol one is appropriate either. What if someone has an alergy to alcohol? What if it's against their religion to drink? What if they are against drinking? That doesn't help with team bonding at all, because they're not going to want to do it and it's just going to cause conflicts.

i dont think theyed make them drink if they had an allergy or it was against their religion

When i played midget AAA for Las st-louis here in quebec my 1 st year all rookie got the mister clean treatment (all shaved) and we had to do a lap naked on the ice with ppl in the stand.

Now imo anything that is degrading to a individual should not be done.We went and did the lap to be "in the group" but if it was to do it again i would not do it.Why you ask... just because i did the AAA for a reason and it was talent and in no way,shape or form humilition make a team spirit.

My 2 cents

Havok19

i think there is a place for hazing. i do belive it brings a team together but cramming a bunch of naked guy and a bus bathroom just not right. little things like making the rookies pick up the pucks and fill water bottels you know stuff like that.

the putting guys in the bathroom naked thing is brutal, but one of my good friends had to do an even worse variation of that. He got put in there with 6 other naked rookies and none of them could leave the bathroom until they had evidence that they were finished...

On the rigs they make the new guys go pick up and have sex with a male prostitute for "initiation", if you think that's so bad. :huh:

What rigs are those? Living in oil country I have never heard of this initiation ritual before in my life...

theres only one hazing ritual that im agreeable on. all the rookies are put into a room with a crazy amount of alcohol and they cant leave until its all gone. ive heard of ones where the guys are put in the bathroom naked and told to get dressed. i dont think anythings wrong with it because hazings been going on for so long that this is the first time the medias actually seen it

Last year, I know we had one death, and it may have been two, at Colorado fraternities due to alcohol poisoning. They were during initiation and the pledges were told to not return until they had drank all the alcohol. I'm quite confident that the older players / brothers probably don't exercise enough judgement to make this a safe rite of hazing.

Just because hazing's been going on for a long time, it doesn't mean the envelope hasn't been pushed farther than it should have been.

Sorry, but you don't seem like a leader that others would follow out.

k, around here, people arent that big of dumbass's to do any of this shit. wheather it happens to my teammates or onlly happens to one individual, I garentee you that at least five-six of us would quit. that stuff is just gay as hell. I might not be a leader but i have the commen sense to not do this stupid ass stuff. the skating in rink naked aint bad but the alcohal poisoning is dumb.

Well, the extreme shit is obviously bad enough but hazing is to be expected. People can think it's wrong, needless, gay, whatever, but it'd be naive to think it won't come around.

i think there is a place for hazing. i do belive it brings a team together but cramming a bunch of naked guy and a bus bathroom just not right. little things like making the rookies pick up the pucks and fill water bottels you know stuff like that.

the putting guys in the bathroom naked thing is brutal, but one of my good friends had to do an even worse variation of that. He got put in there with 6 other naked rookies and none of them could leave the bathroom until they had evidence that they were finished...

On the rigs they make the new guys go pick up and have sex with a male prostitute for "initiation", if you think that's so bad. :blink:

What rigs are those? Living in oil country I have never heard of this initiation ritual before in my life...

Yep, up in Fort Mac my Cousin was working up there, and when they'd get a new rig pig a lot of the times that's what the other guys would make them do. He's an Engineer for Syncrude so he wasn't actually on the crews, so he didn't have to do any filthy crap like that.

When i played midget AAA for Las st-louis here in quebec my 1 st year all rookie got the mister clean treatment (all shaved) and we had to do a lap naked on the ice with ppl in the stand.

Now imo anything that is degrading to a individual should not be done.We went and did the lap to be "in the group" but if it was to do it again i would not do it.Why you ask... just because i did the AAA for a reason and it was talent and in no way,shape or form humilition make a team spirit.

My 2 cents

Havok19

thats insane ,im in midgit right now ,im actually nervous about going into junior because of hazing and stuff

Yep, up in Fort Mac my Cousin was working up there, and when they'd get a new rig pig a lot of the times that's what the other guys would make them do. He's an Engineer for Syncrude so he wasn't actually on the crews, so he didn't have to do any filthy crap like that.

Now might be a good time to remind each other that if something sounds goofy, it more than likely is.

I don't want people getting the wrong idea of my home rink.......AB is not that bad.

While I don't doubt some people make a choice to do what of you speak, I can say with a pretty high level of confidence based on personal work experience that is not a typical drilling industry hazing. I live in northern Alberta, and have worked many years in the industry, including on the rigs and in service industries, and have NEVER heard of this one. The majority of my friends, teammates, opponents and acquaintances are in the industry. I've never heard of it.....

Also, you actually don't hear of too many male prostitutes in this area for some reason.....I wonder why?

While I grant you it could have happened somewhere, it sounds like a rural myth to me.....

Cheers

eman

Locking a bunch of guys in a room with copious alcohol supply is called a "Lock and Load Party". It is not just for hazing, we used to do it to ourselves once a year, but it really hurt the next day! I would not suggest it nowadays, as the penalties for drinking have changed, and a few have actually died from alcohol poisoning!

We also did something called "stair diving", where you would pile a few matresses at the bottom of the stairs and jump from as far up as you had the stones to do. The longest jump won! Unfortunately we did not think this one out too well, and the winner broke his leg in around 3 places. No more stair diving!

while i have not been around hockey hazing i have been around military hazing. about 10 years ago the marine corp (us) barricks at 8th & I in washington got spotlighted on 60 minutes for hazing. the acts were quit disgusting and vulgar. it created alot of eyes to open up and see the hazing that was taking place throught out the military. some of the worst acts of hazing you can think of HAVE occured in the military. after i got my jump wings (silver for 5 jumps) the instructor put my wings on and drove them into my chest. later when i got my gold wings (10 jumps) every one in my platoon who already had gold wings used their helmets to "pin" my wings on. it was done not with bad intentions but with the idea of unit bonding. after wards we had a party and i did not have to buy any beer, it was paid for by the guys who already had their gold wings. i did not feel as thought i was hazed but, felt as thought i joined an elite group of men who wanted me to be apart of their unit.

A friend of mine who played on a Junior team in Alaska (I think it was Alaska anyways) quite because of this kind of shit. He said they made him "hot box" on the way to a game. Him along with 4 other rookies crammed in the coach bus bathroom naked and had the other guys throw stuff such as powerade, food, water, etc. at them. He said the coach was a real dick too, I guess he was all for it. He quite cuz he was fed up with all the bullshit.